[POLL] Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dufne, May 19, 2015.

?

Mac Or Windows? (Or other)

Mac 35 vote(s) 22.4%
Windows 112 vote(s) 71.8%
Other 9 vote(s) 5.8%
  1. That video is not a good example. That processor is junk for desktop purposes, its sole purpose is to be thrown in a server. That would be like comparing a high end mobile chip to an ultra book chip. That video was loaded from the beginning.
  2. There really aren't any big differences between pro and not pro except for some additional features that people can turn on. For most people, they probably won't see the difference. People shouldn't be using xp anymore because Microsoft finally ended support for it. Sure, there are people still using it, but I don't thing apple supports there 10 year old operating systems either.
    boozle628 likes this.
  3. I support Windows, because I'm a gamer. However, I prefer Mac for non-gaming purposes. Why? Here are the reasons:
    1) Mac catches 99% less viruses than Windows. This is because the Windows code is open to everyone, while the Mac code is owned by very few. I'm not even sure if it's available on the open market. Also, the Windows code is C++, which can be easily learned with tutorials on the internet, which is why lots of viruses exist on the Windows platform. On the other hand, Mac code is very complicated and is hard to program with, therefore nearly no viruses exist for Macs.
    2) Mac layout is much neater. This can be really helpful if you're working and have a lot of files to keep. Or at least that's just me. =P #OCD
    3) Macs are smaller than a Windows. While most desktop PCs need a tower to operate, a Mac can cram 16GB worth of RAM and all the other essentials into a 24" screen, which is impressive by any means. At least, I think it is impressive. :I

Just my two cents worth.
    southpark347 likes this.
  4. Im surprised I didn't see this thread. So heres my input/take on it. As a owner of a Macbook Pro and other Apple devices. Sure they are user friendly and don't require much experience to operate but if your looking for something to game with, I'd go with a PC/Windows. Much more diverse when it comes to the games and other applications it can run. Easier to upgrade (Hardware speaking). Then if you're really good with computers, then get Linux with your computer as the OS is greatest with your imagination to however you design it. My brother uses Linux and other OS's like it. I use macbook because Im not so savvy with computer tech as others are, though I used to own a Windows and regret this macbook.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Well said. xD Consider getting Linux?
  6. 1) No it isn't. Windows isn't open source. It is because of the larger market of users makes it a better target.
    2) You can style Windows to your pleasing, and there are programs to make it even nicer: http://hexadecimal.x10.mx/
    3) We're on about the software, not the hardware. Also, the RAM is nothing to do with performance. The CPU makes the computer go. The first ever CPU with 64GB of RAM will run slow. The latest i7 CPU with 8GB of RAM will run amazingly fast.
    L3A8 likes this.
  7. Windows, if you feel like running anything.
    L3A8 and Chewsy4 like this.
  8. 1) Macs do have viruses too... and no, Windows is not open source. Where did you get that from?
    2) Looks =/= productivity.
    3) Anyone can do that with a notebook motherboard with soldered ram into the PCB. So PCs can't be small... Oh wait!

It's good that at least you get the idea that windows is better for gaming but you got wrong information about productivity on PCs. You can get more performance on PC with the same price as a mac pro, far better performance.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  9. 1. I think I see what you are saying about the ownership but that has no effect on anything. Sure, I can buy Windows at a store, but I have no access to the source code. I can also find the Apple software somewhere (search hackintosh) and download that but once again, it is a compiled version without the source code visible to anyone. The language it is programmed in doesn't really matter. Windows is compiled in C++. Apples uses C. Both can run programs written in C++ or C along with tons of other languages. These are none of the reasons viruses exist for Windows. They exist on Windows because it is a huge market. It is also incredibly easy to avoid viruses with a good antivirus and installing updates. Both are free to do.
    2. Check out some custom desktops on Windows. There are even ways to make Windows look like OSX and behave very similar if that is your thing.
    3. Nope. Once again, you can't make any generalizations about Windows hardware because there are so many different types. There are some incredibly thin and powerful computers that run Windows as long as you look a little. Also, most PC manufacturers are doing away with the big tower and going with the all in ones. You can still get a tower though if you want to easily customize the internals of the PC.
    L3A8 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  10. Well, your own statement sort of proves you wrong here. Google is just a means, the question here would be where they'd find their answers. A very well known source of online Windows support is Microsoft Answers, I've pointed this URL directly to the Windows 7 forum and as you can see there are plenty of questions being asked.

Now, I maybe stretching the definition here a bit, but I still think one can consider Microsoft Answers to be a help desk of some sort. Sure; it's online and mostly a community effort, but that doesn't make it less true.

Also, as Huckleberry himself already said, I think you missed the joke there ;)

It depends on your definition of a help desk (link to Wikipedia). It's definitely not common in the traditional sense of the idea: you pick up the phone and you call for support. That's also because you usually buy your PC from a retailer and because of that the retailer should be the first point to go to if you're experiencing problems.

But when looking at sites such as Microsoft Answers and Microsoft TechNet I do think it's safe to say that "help desks" are still a thing.

There's a 3rd very important reason: user mentality. Too many people blindly rely on their system to keep them safe, and more or less assume that their virus scanner will block the program they're trying to open if it turns out to be a virus.

But still, when looking at security flaws then the numbers do count, but backwards. You actually don't want too much diversity for your virus or malware to work. When looking at Windows its merely the combination of the numbers as well as the uniformity in the OS itself. For example; most people will simply use Windows 7 with a user account which has been given admin privileges. That's nearly all the time a common issue, thus something which can be relatively easy exploited.

Most exploits are done on software level, not hardware.

If only that were true, but it isn't. Yes, if you try to remove all the files in c:\windows then the system will complain because there are some files which you simply cannot remove due to permissions. But there are plenty of sensitive system files which can be removed after Windows won't be able to boot any more. This is one thing which has plagued a few virus scanners in the past: they accidentally identified a .dll file as hostile, (re)moved it into a secured location and the next moment Windows doesn't boot any longer.

System restore features are useful there, but not for your average user. When Windows doesn't boot any more then its usually time to panic ;)

When talking about Windows 7 then there are major differences between the regular version and Professional. These are mostly network and system related though. Things like backup options, remote desktop services, encrypted file systems, user & group policies (somewhat of an extra layer of protection).

Also noteworthy: Windows XP mode. Which is actually quite a nice feature, the ability to run Windows XP in a vitalized environment. Even up to the point where you can fire up an XP application, the virtual machine gets started in the background and eventually you'll end up with a Windows application which uses a completely different border and layout (XP vs. 7).

So Professional can be a big thing. It also was on XP by the way, some of those features are the same deal (Windows domain, encrypted fielsystem, remote desktop, etc.). Oh, another thing is support lifecycle. Professional has extended support and will be supported for approx. 2 years longer (from mind, would have to look this up).
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. Feel free to delete win32. Windows couldn't care less. But when it starts back up that's when the errors occur. Also, little side note, there are about 5 process in task manager that will cause a "this process could be vital to Windows" message. Only about 3 of them will crash Windows.
  12. All versions of Windows XP are no longer supported according to here. There may be some large differences but their relevance in "My computer stopped working" situations will be almost none meaning that any problems people face which is caused by those things is going to be related to using those features. Unless I am mistaken, Windows strongly discourages disabling the User Account Control in Windows 8 (and I believe 7) which only allows Admin access to programs the User explicitly grants access to. Almost no one will be running around in 24/7 admin mode even if your account is an admin. Programs still require your permission to do anything. This means that a user must give a virus access to their computer before it can take over which requires a cleverly named virus or someone who just grants admin to everything.
  13. Mainstream support for Windows 7 was dropped a while back :)
    jkrmnj likes this.
  14. When looking at this, keep in mind that there is no 'better'. There is only different. Pick what you like, gear it towards what you will use it for, and base it off of what you can afford.

Apple = High end hardware, fancy graphics. Great for video editing, etc... Workhorse, but lacking in widespread compatibility for the software/games. Has come far from the powermac days. You pay for the name, along with hardware limitations and locked for "compatibility". Heck, isn't the newest distros of apple based on UNIX anyways?

Windows = more choices in hardware. You can build a low end, or a high end. Varying prices = varying performance. More compatible, and many more choices in hardware. You can customize any part of your hardware as you see fit.

Personally, I grew up around apple, however prefer windows machines. Totally play with linux as well and often dual boot and go between windows 7 and ubuntu/mint.
    That being said, apple does have some fun gadgets.
    The Ipods aren't too bad. Still kicking droids for portable devices though, however will probably check out some iphones at some point.

I believe that for windows 7, its is all the same, however the difference between 'standard' and professional, is that professional incorporates the protocol to be allowed to connect to domains.
    L3A8 likes this.
  15. You're comparing a hardware/software manufacture against a piece of software. Also, Windows doesn't have any hardware other than the Surface range.
    ShelLuser and jkjkjk182 like this.
  16. Generally, yes, an apple typically comes with hardware/software package.
    However can I not go out and purchase Mac OS without hardware?

Windows, you can either go pre-build (Dell, HP, etc...) or build your own.
    Again, can I not go out and purchase windows without hardware?

However, I took the 'base question' to be, what is "preferred"

Maybe I should bring it a step back.
    What is your definition of a "Mac"
    What is your definition of a "Window"

Is the question "Mac Or Windows?" pretty vague?
    Unless we can go on about Mac-N-Cheese Vs openings in a building which allows you to look outside.
    generalfelino015 likes this.
  17. Minus their latest adventure into laptops lol. Intel Core M is junk no matter what interface you put on it.
  18. Do not forget that Windows 10 runs faster than OS X in the newest macbook. Source.
  19. Although that is mostly a qualitative analysis, the conclusion at the end is what makes me really happy. If Windows 10 and the Internet Explorer replacement are that well optimized, I am going to have yet another reason to eagerly await the release this summer.
  20. I am mostly excited about DirectX 12 and multiple desktops.
    jkrmnj likes this.