[POLICY UPDATE] IP Bans and the Forums

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Nov 8, 2016.

1. While it wouldn't solve all the issues, it might help some people remain in contact, would you still leave forum PM'ing or is that just not possible.
  2. I'd say 'no'. That'd allow manipulating, threatening, et cetera, which is reasonably likely to happen, caused by the potential rage from getting forum banned.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. That's exactly what I am saying. People who have already been banned and had time to reflect should be checked to see if a forum ban is worthy.

Also, how about making the new name of the IP ban to "network IP ban" considering that is what this new policy is trying to enforce.
    ThaKloned likes this.
  4. Wouldn't be possible with our forums.
    We3_MPO and DrMadFate like this.
  5. I personally think.. the update/new rule has already happened. If someone is IP banned, then that's their problem. Everyone fighting for everyone on this is a waste of time. Its not meant towards anyone, its something that they all finally came to a decision to do.. and they did it. Nothing you can do or say to change that. (The fact that some people are fighting to prove they are right with this is just dumb, move on) I think it was a good idea. It needed to happen at one point and time.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  6. You are interpreting what she said incorrectly. She said she went through the list, and many of them are already forum banned. That does not mean she went through the list and only looked at who already was forum banned.

Her post explained that she already went through the list, and didn't find anything that would support not having this policy. You can't keep saying "Look at all the previous players!" over and over again just because you don't agree with the current outcome.
    We3_MPO, 607 and TheKutesyKiraboo like this.
  7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but without causing staff to have to individually access these players, wouldn't it be easier to implement the policy and simply allow them to appeal their ban? That is essentially what you're asking for (and more, considering it would vouch for their in-game play as well). It may take some time, but in the end, they'll have their ban in consideration anyway.
    607, We3_MPO and TheKutesyKiraboo like this.
  8. That policy is already in effect. IP Banned members have access to appeal their bans through the forums when not logged in. Until such time that the appeal is successful, they will not have access to their account on the forums so they may not participate in discussion. They can look, but not communicate.

This is another reason this policy was held off for so long. We didn't have a clean form available for players that were not logged in until recently.
    DrMadFate, 607, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  9. Pardon the expression: this is turning into a pissing contest and it doesn't add anything productive to the whole thing, in my opinion anyway. The problem with them rules is that you'll always end up seeing players who you like are getting affected by them. And I can tell you from personal experience that it totally sucks.

I also agree with what has been said: not every IP banned player is being disruptive. Within that context I even agree with the counter arguments: it's not fair to claim that IP banned players are being disruptive purely because they have been participating here. Because their participation is simply an effect of this action. And action= reaction. You changed the rules, people responded and then you say that by doing so they're being disruptive? That's, in my opinion, dumb reasoning and I somewhat expected better.

So here's my take on the whole thing: Everything I posted in this tread was done with the same opinion I expressed quite a few times in the past already: I hope Foxy's appeal will eventually pass because I feel he has been trying to remain a member of the community and tried to add something to that community every once in a while. He's active, he even welcomes new players, he still takes effort to add something to the community. That opinion never changed.

Yet I still support this decision.

I don't like to see Foxy go, and I also think that he seems to be the exception of the statement that IP banned players are being disruptive per definition. Not every IP banned player is.

But what about all those others who are? With a server the size of the Empire you can't seriously claim that you know everything that is happening here. Heck, in a previous post I insinuated that I've seen some examples of disruptive behavior which the staff referred to and I'll be honest about that: I ran into those by accident.

And what we also need to realize: that disruptive behavior doesn't have to be against the forum rules! I won't go into details, but think about it... Let's say I start ranting that I think the staff does a bad job in the overall and I give some "vague examples". Am I causing drama or am I merely expressing an opinion? And am I adding anything constructive or....

I think what everyone needs to understand and acknowledge is that there will be "innocent" players affected by this rule change. Note: "innocent" with regards to causing disruptive forum behavior, not innocent with regards to their initial ban. Staff tries to deny this it seems and I think that's not a smart thing to do. You're only creating a "he said, we said, they said" situation, because all us other players are only getting one sided stories (from both sides (staff & banned players)) and that's not helping.

Rules aren't always fair. Well, that is: their aftermath. Especially when something changes in between. You'll always end up with "innocent" players getting affected by those rules as well. And this is in my opinion no different.

But what is the alternative?

Staff could decide to handle this on a per-player basis. But... Causing disruptive behavior, as mentioned above, isn't always the same as breaking the forum rules. More than often it's not.

I think the main problem here is that because some players behave in a good and normal way we quickly forget that there was a reason why they got banned in the first place. We believe that by participating like that they've somewhat redeemed themselves. And in a way I agree.

BUT... what about all those players who weren't active on the forums at all, who kept quiet and basically did nothing? I can also argue that because they have been quiet, they've not been disruptive and therefor also somewhat redeemed themselves a bit.

So where are you going to draw the line there?

The rules regarding punishment have to apply to everyone, otherwise you'll create a mockery where punishment is dealt based on opinion, personal favoritism and worse. And yes, this also includes players who we'd rather not see go. But....

They could also have chosen not to break the rules in the first place.
    607, AnonReturns, We3_MPO and 3 others like this.
  10. I don't play Minecraft anymore but I visit this website everyday. I can see the appeal in coming here even if I can't play the game.
  11. Don't you see an issue there? "She went through the list, she didn't find anything" It's up to her what happens I understand that. But it's frankly idiotic to just remove of an entire group of people just because the majority of them did something stupid.

Not going to correct you, because it would be easier. That's not what I'm trying to communicate. What if they don't want to appeal, for some knowing that they are going to lose everything they had on EMC makes them not want to appeal, but stay on the forums for certain.
  12. I agree completely that there will be those that are innocently on the forums affected by this. We WANT them to appeal and prove that they intend to be a constructive member of our community and follow our rules. Then they can come back and we be productive community members and EMC players. That's the reasoning behind this.

Instead of multiple players hanging out in limbo, we must force a change. We have players either appeal and come back completely, or they don't successfully appeal and they don't come back. We want this server to thrive on the voices of the current players that have the intention to see EMC flourish and grow. This policy is the first step to that voice.
    DrMadFate, 607, AnonReturns and 4 others like this.
  13. There's a difference between leaving of your own free will and being forced to leave because you broke the rules. You could log on tomorrow and play if you felt like it.
  14. ShelLuser likes this.
  15. (That was posted after mine)
  16. I see that, haha. My point was that it seemed to mostly answer your question.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. except the only reason there is any disagreement at all is because kryssy likes to be careless with her words. Had it been worded differently then I highly doubt there would be this much tension in this thread from people that are not friends of IP banned players. The policy just makes sense, even if it does hurt some peoples feelings. The only reason anyone believes they have a leg to stand on in fighting it is because of HOW it was done.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  18. All right, I'm done with this. You've acknowledged innocent players will be affected, I've stated that some don't want to appeal for other reasons than "You aren't a good member of EMC if you don't". If that's all you are willing to take from this, that is fine.

19. There's a difference. You have an option to play but choose not to. If you were banned what's the point of coming onto the forums. The forums are fun but for me it would only represent a place of people I broke trust with. I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the environment of the forums without that remembrance.
  20. As a person who has been banned in-game before, I can also see the appeal of coming to the forums when you're banned. They're like two separate communities, in a way.

Then again, I didn't really break the trust of the people here (put simply I got involved with a protest group here, went the extra mile, got banned, protest group got results, I got unbanned months later), so that might play into it.
    607 likes this.