[POLICY UPDATE] IP Bans and the Forums

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Nov 8, 2016.

1. That is not fully correct. Both can appeal, one of the the reasons this rule got instated in the first place was because it would previously disallow the IP banned player from appealing entirely, but that is no longer the case.

The major difference right now is that permanently banned players can still participate on the forums whereas IP banned players cannot. However, the rules themselves don't make this differentiation: the worst consequence is a permanent ban. So basically what is happening here is that there is a major penalty (permanent ban) and something worse but for reasons which aren't specified. And my problem with that is that it could too easily lead up to favouritism.

Because when do you get IP banned? When you've done something horrible. But what? All the rules speak of a permanent ban only.

So basically, for all I know, you could get an IP ban for making critical arguments like these. Sounds silly? I agree, but please prove me wrong. You can't. All the rules speak of is a permanent ban.

In my opinion there should be no difference between an IP ban and a permanent ban.
    TBird1128 likes this.
  2. What about those who have accepted the fact that that they have done unjust actions, but still want to communicate with their friends? What if they want a second chance to engage the community? What if they havever no harmful intentions? For example caden. Now I know that he was innocent, but still. Even when he was permanently banned,(or I think ip banned, correct me if I'm wrong) he just wanted to communicate with those who couldn't speak to outside of the forums? Never did he gave harmful intentions.

Same applies to Cory and everybody else that got ip banned. Just because somebody has committed to an inappropriate action doesn't mean that they want to do it again. They aren't asking for another chance to join the game, instead they are asking for a chance to communicate with their friends, or to them, their family.

It just seems unjustified to remove the ability to speak to somebody because they have committed a crime in game, but never on the forums. But that's just my 2 cents
  3. We made the adjustments to the system to allow the player to maintain contact with their friends with a final contact notice on their profile. We IP ban maybe one player per month, if that, and only after extensive discussion.

If you aren't planning on being IP banned, then it won't affect you. If your friend is IP banned, they were given many chances to follow the rules. Ask them why they didn't.
  4. As Krysyy said, an IP ban is handed to someone after they have many chances and fail at them all. So in my case I've had 2 accounts banned, but I appealed, it got accepted, and my account now has been going for a while without issues. If I screw up and do something on EmpireMall, I'm like,y to get an IP Ban.
    Krysyy likes this.
  5. there are some apartment complexes near me that everyone uses the same resident ip does that mean if 1 person on that network is that bad (to be ip banned) everyone else who uses the ip is banned 2?
  6. like they all are on the same modem? them speeds must suck
  7. it is the same modem and the speed is crap
  8. well in that case admin's would have no choice but to ban the whole building, there would be no way to differentiate between the ipbanned player and the rest.
    moral of the story is dont invite jerks on a place you can get ipbanned when you share the ip.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  9. I mostly agree with what you just said, but sometimes people don't know if someone is a jerk.