PLEASE Stop With The Grammar Nazism.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ItsMeAubey, Feb 13, 2014.

?

Should there be an anti grammar-nazi rule?

Yes 11 vote(s) 18.3%
No 49 vote(s) 81.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's how I am.
  2. i lik 2 corect ppls gramer cuz they loke ridicolus wth bad speling nd gramer so itz gud 2 corect dem
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx and 607 like this.
  3. You're contradicting yourself - hate is a lot worse than correcting someone. Personally, I don't like a post dedicated to a spelling error either - as long as it's legible it's fine to me - but you're going about this all wrong:
    As 607 said, people just don't want that rule :)

If I correct people a lot, I wouldn't want a rule against it either (because I'm not really doing anything wrong)
    It's not Nazism, they're just basic cases of people correcting other people on the Internet. It's not okay to treat those people like Nazi's, even if you are just using a metaphor. :)

This isn't what people do, so why treat them like Nazis?
  4. Also you are being a ignorant in history and also being racist with strange people you never met.
  5. cuz dis aint criticism
  6. I correct people on a daily basis for grammar and spelling, But not on everything, and mostly on the servers. If it is unreadable then I'll correct it, that doesn't make me a Nazi. People on SMP5 know that I do correct people from time to time, but they also know I mistype all the time, mostly because I type too fast. I do not make it my mission everyday to correct other people. I believe that in this day and age the English language and most language for that matter is being degraded and sometimes altogether disregarded, and it's a tragedy. I don't see it as being angry and lashing out, I see it as trying to help the person to understand the proper use of language so as to project themselves as an intelligent person.

When you look at this sentence "i lik 2 corect ppls gramer cuz they loke ridicolus wth bad speling nd gramer so itz gud 2 corect dem"(Thanks to Sam for a most despicable example :p) Do you think of that person as learned, because I do not. But maybe they don't understand the language too well, or maybe they aren't old enough to have learned the proper way to speak/type. So as a community shouldn't we strive to let them know what's up? It will only help them out in their own future.

OCD is a real disorder that affects many people in different ways, and while true that most people who say they have it have never been diagnosed OCD is not something to be taken lightly, it is a terrible disorder that highly disrupts the lives of the people who have it and I think your attitude towards those who do have it is more in kind with Nazism than someone correcting grammar and spelling.

Now on to you. I have not met you in person or even on the servers so I can not make a total picture of what type of person you are, just based on this thread alone I can see that you are not a good person(from my perspective). Notice throughout this whole thread you are the only person who has used the word hate in a negative way. How can you rationalize protecting a certain group of people while berating or "hating" on another group? You sir, disgust me on an intellectual level.

The internet is an amazing gift that we have discovered, it allows people from all over the world to connect with each other, to teach and learn from each other, to bridge the divide between cultures and backgrounds, and to let us be more open minded of other people's ways. It is a free transfer of information with no boundaries and it is incredible.

Please change your hateful ways and come to the lighter side, we have some pretty cool ideas over here, and cake, we have cake.
  7. Whoa
    Haerhitman likes this.
  8. Little much?

Edit: I'm very verbal when I first wake up.
    SkidzGaming and generalfelino015 like this.
  9. Words are important and they are all that you have to represent yourself in a medium like this.

When you post in a thread people have mostly just your words to determine what they think of you. You can tell a lot about a person if you pay attention. Spelling, grammar, word choice, subject matter, and tone all tell me something about you.

With dictionaries and other reference materials online as well as spell checkers, there is really no excuse other than laziness. If you do not have enough respect for your own thoughts to take the time to type them in in a coherent way, check spelling, consider word choice, and proofread before posting, you can't expect anyone else to respect your thoughts either.

I usually don't spend as much time correcting my mistakes when I am using chat as I do before posting here, and often leave words uncorrected in chat. People mostly understand but sometimes ask for clarification. Recently I've been playing a lot with a couple of Spanish players and I've become more conscientious of both my spelling and which words I use with them. Just one word being wrong can cause a lot of confusion.

I noticed that something went on between TechnologyGeek and 607. I think 607 said a long time ago that he is European and that English isn't his first language. He has asked me a few times to clarify my Forum posts. If he was correcting the spelling of a native English speaker, that's actually kind of sad.

I think comparing someone who corrects spelling or grammar to a nazi is pretty strong and in itself not usually something I can take seriously. I would reserve the word for someone who is fanatical and has more ill intention than someone who is simply correcting my spelling, even if they were doing it to poke a bit of fun at me.
    607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  10. I think the fact that always correcting a persons grammar is called nazism, yet has nothing to do with nazism is weird. I don't know why people take offence to someone correcting them if they make a mistake, because if you care about what you are saying, it shouldn't be laziness, it should be a mistake. Everyone makes some mistakes now and then, so just let grammar critics be like they are. Actually, let's try calling them grammar critics now.
  11. ^
  12. ^This.

Also, not everyone is as great at learning correct grammar and English skills. There are even times I write something and then catch that I misspelled it. My husband misspells things all the time and he's 32, I don't go off on him and tell him he's wrong, he just asks me to proofread because he knows his spelling sucks (his words, not mine) and he will switch words like bear and bare, spell things how they are pronounced due to dialect like Salad becomes Salid due to how it's pronounced in the south, I used to have a friend who has ADHD and his typing was atrocious but I could still read it, I never went off on him, but he would ALWAYS apologize for misspelling things because of "grammar Nazis".

It's just like getting mad at people who have trouble reading, not everyone "gets it" as well as you do.
  13. Yes. But when people accidentally wrote "mod" instead of "mob" it can be confusing and is best to be corrected.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  14. Then phrase it as a question.
    Eg. Did you mean to say mod or mob?
    AlexChance and Pab10S like this.
  15. Yea, i was going to say sometihng similar... Techno, your overuse of the word 'nazi' is starting to get offensive.

Grossly incorrect generalisations, incorrect assumptions about people and their reasons for doing things. And a relentless pursuit to persecute people is all getting too much for me. I'm leaving the thread. laters.
    wisepsn likes this.
  16. Hope to see you soon
  17. Am...am I the only person who thinks some people really need to chill out about how people say things over the internet?
    cddm95ace, fireshadow52 and 607 like this.
  18. GG, grammar rant. I guess you don't consider spelling a part of grammar. Anyway, just because people like to use proper grammar doesn't mean they are a Nazi. This thread can actually be really offensive to people and personally I think the mods should take it down. To compare a lack of grammar to an event where 72 million people died (I think, don't quote me on the numbers) is not a good comparison at all, and honestly disrespectful to the people who gave their life to the war or even lost their life because of the actions of some.

Mods, do us a favor and take this thread down.
  19. Well, the only reason I will correct someone grammar is if they are just not even trying to type legible. If someone is typing like "h3y guyz whatz yiu doin today?????//?-" I am going to correct it because he doesn't even look like he went to school.
  20. When I see bad grammar, I don't actually correct it. Mainly because I am too lazy to do it, but I know that some people don't like being corrected.

Hardly anyone's grammar is '100% perfect' and I know mine isn't, but I do put in that little effort of making my posts look good, because when I do see bad grammar, it gives off a bad impression to me. Of course there are some people who aren't as good at grammar than others, but if you know how to use it, please do use it. I think I just have an issue with taking people with bad grammar seriously and for long posts, its just hard to read. Punctuation doesn't bother me too much, but grammar and punctuation pretty much goes hand in hand. :)
    cddm95ace, 607 and wisepsn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.