New recycling center -- or help another build to take on the role?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KatydidBuild, Mar 7, 2021.

1. The former "we want your trash" EMC Recycling Center of smp6 is no more. The res had not been updated from the update to 1.15 but still had plenty of items.

The question for community imput is this:A small group of players have already identified a res on Utopia and discussed building. Plenty of excitement and energy to start. But is there another build geared toward new players that might take on this role without requiring the brand new build and resources?

Two come to mind. The informational towers on smp 9 and 2. (I think.)

Edit:
    this is the information from the shop/resource directory

Smp2
    4411 +new = iron tools/armor -- 30 days old or less or you will be res banned from using res

Smp3
    6070 +it = new player resource center and Information Building. Lots of information on the server.

Smp9
    19405 = New player resources and information Building. Free blocks and items -- 30 days old or less or you will be res banned from using res
    (Accepts donations of blocks and tools from anyone)
    Unoski likes this.
  2. i had thought about potentially build a simplified version of the recycling center... one with only basic blocks (no stairs/ slabs) and basic necessities (tools).. I was thinking of restricting access to it to specifically whitelist access to it rather than the old recycling center which just had chest access for anyone who stumbled upon it. lemme know what you think about this.
    LindenNZ and UltiPig like this.
  3. I noticed the recycle centre was gone, what happened? :( I've just been donating to 19405, but I think a replacement facility is a good idea. I also sometimes just put stuff in "free stuff" chests in the waste, someone always takes it.

I'm happy to help with building or providing resources. I think simplified would be fine. Can sorting systems put other stuff into a miscellaneous chest? (I have zero clue how they work).
  4. I probably don't have the time needed to do a lot for a project like this, but I am willing and able to do some redstone designing and reviewing. I have written quite a lot of long posts that talk about how to properly lag-proof a sorting system, what works, what doesn't, what kinds of stuff is possible, what isn't. It would probably be a lot easier for me to just design the redstone for this system rather than to make a long post explaining how to do it, especially when it comes to lag proofing. :)
    I could also help with stuff like sorting through different types of non-stackable items.
    That would be: a basic non-stackable item sorter, that filters them from the stackables, then a shulkerbox sorter and emptier that gives the shulker boxes back to the player, and probably also a potion sorter, that puts all the potions in one chest, and a filled bucket sorter, that empties the water buckets, and puts the lava in a separate chest. There is a lot more possible, but this is probably all that is worth it.
    When designing redstone, I would probably also do some stuff with the overflow of items, when I can, like putting the melons for which there is no space in the designated chest into a composter, and the stuff that can be smelted into a water stream that leads into a furnace system.
    Nowadays, most of the redstone I do is item management, so I am quite fluent and fast with stuff like this. :p

The reason I wouldn’t do simplified is that most junk, or at least what I’ve plumped in there, is stairs, slabs, all the odd stuff that you have left from building. The power of a sorting system in modern Minecraft is specifically that you can just dump your white stained glass pains, acacia stairs and spruce trapdoors in there, and have that all be fine. According to schematica, an average build of mine uses 100 - 300 different materials. My storage at 752 used 280, for example. If I wouldn’t have had a sorting system, I would throw all the left-overs (the six spruce stairs, the two flow pots etc.) into a rubbish bin. It is because of this I would actively sort out every single item.

Stuff like the non-stackable sorter and all that are really simple and small redstone to build, especially when you, like me, already know how to do it. It really wouldn’t add any space or build time.

Additionally: I can donate a crapton of wool for building. I don’t know if the aesthetics would be made out of it, but doing redstone on wool is really useful for distinguishing circuits and whatnot, so I highly advice it. Additionally: my overflow chests are overflowing. Donating ~5DC of every colour wouldn’t even make a dent in my supply :p

Lastly, though I don't know how much I could do, but I could do some aesthetic designing. It won't be special at all, but I can do a basic and functional aesthetic that still looks decent enough.

For me, the main issue would be that I don't really have a residence to put it on, and that I don't really want to spend the time doing the schematica. So, if someone has a utopia res without anything meaningful next to it lying around, and some spare time to do schematica building, that would be great :p

I could also do this on one of my own double reses on SMP1, but don't expect it to be done in less than a year in that case :p
    Then, I would also connect the system to the system of my own shops, both literally, when it comes to the overflow output doing other stuff; and figuratively, probably letting it be something you teleport to from the main 966 hub, but I don't know if this is what people would want :p
    Ryko369 likes this.
  5. Man, I'm confused. When I first saw this thread, I seemed to recall seeing another thread before with the same subject, but I couldn't find it again.
    However, this post by Egeau I am certain that I have read before.
    Google won't help me out here, can someone clear it up, or is this too fun to resolve? :p
    KatydidBuild and Egeau like this.
  6. Yep it's been copy/pasted for some reason lol
    Egeau likes this.
  7. I did indeed copy-paste part of that post here :p I think this thread is going to be the main thread of the reconstruction, if it ever happens, so having my post on this thread seemed helpfull, especially since the other thread didn't really get any posts since.
    I did add some more things though, as I have some more things to say, but, largely, it's the same post :p
    KatydidBuild and 607 like this.
  8. I did not intend to cause any confusion 607, but I do find it humorous that you couldn't find something on the forums :)

That fun bit aside. What I was mostly wondering was if anyone else had any thoughts to making a recycling center before some of the enthusiastic players who currently want such a thing were released upon my Utopia res -- as it is a protected plot and would be large enough to conceivably handle such a monster of chests. Because if someone else was wanting to do it, then this would be the time..... you know, before any building was done .... *patiently waits for an answer*

(probably give it through the weekend) I have chests set up on my Utopia res with access signs if you want to drop stuff off somewhere, in the meantime.
    607 and Burki like this.
  9. Egeau, I'll be the one handling most of the sorter building and whatnot, if you've got some designs and ideas, I've got litematica and you can give me what you've got and I'll put it together. However you want to do this, I'm down! Let's put our heads together and make this awesome.
    607 and Egeau like this.
  10. Great, thanks for offering your help :)

I know you know your stuff as well, so, instead of just doing everything, I'll first give you the ideas I had:

Having a more complicated system, like one that uses a variable item sorter, is great when you're always near and know how to fix it when it breaks, but, in my experience with using more complicated redstone: especially when it useless sharp timings, it tends to break when used by people who don't know what they're doing, even when it should be fool proof. Therefore, I would think it is best to make something that is based on very simple components. That doesn’t mean the overall system cannot be complex, only that most individual circuits should be simple.

With that in mind, I think we would need to go for a normal basic sorter hall for the main system. One of those things that were popular from 1.9 to 1.11. Most of those use water streams, so we’d have to design a custom one, but I don’t think that would be too big of a deal.

This is just the first sketch that I made:

It’s just simple overflow-proof sorting modules with dropper lines on top. It can probably be done a lot simpler and a lot more compact than this specific design, but this is a nice jumping off point :p
    If this project is going to go on Utopia, it would be great if the hall would also be fly-friendly, and have a line where you can just fly over and see all item frames and blocks displayed, without having to go up and down or left and right all the time. This doesn’t mean it would have different sections, it means that all different sections are connected for the sake of easy searching.
    Since this system has eight item types a slice, making it 100 blocks long would make it able to sort through every stackable item in the game. For a normal residence, two 50 long halls would also work.

In “front” of this system, there would be a nonstackable item filter, which would lead into a few misc sorters that sort through some nonstackables. Filtering out potions, shulker boxes, minecarts, and boats from the rest would probably be quite usefull. This place here would be where the more complicated redstone is located. (though most of thease sorters are more easy than you might think…)
    I would also want to empty all shulker boxes into the system, but that might cause issues, as breaking shulkers with pistons has the tendency to break every few updates…

Then, there are two options. Either I would design a second hall, which would deal with compostareble items or smeltable items, and only use a single sorter per item type, or I’d just plop another sorter “behind” this system, which would sort through all the overflow items, and thow all compostables into a composter and all smeltables into a small furnace (fueled by an equally small bamboo farm)
    There would also be a third option: not doing this at all. I personally really like automated systems like this. The base components are quite simple, and it only takes an hour or so to build. It’s just… neat.
    Maybe, since this smeltry has a sorter that sorts through all smeltables attachted to it, we could even make this smeltry publically accessable for normal smelting aswell. This would require a larger bamboo farm, but it would definetly be technically feasable. I would consider this to be a rather large project in itself, but it would be a great addition... This would also mean that, with some pulse extendors, we would have to filter out the items put into the smeltry by hand from the items put in it from the overflow, which would add even more redstone, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Then, location. You suggest you have a location, but, since you only have four reses, I could maybe also offer up residence 861. (Tomvanwijnen2-3)Mostly because I think I could make a really good-looking wearhouse-like build on top of it, that would really fit the aestethics of the build next to it, and also because Tom and I simply have too many reses :p
    At first, I thought this machine was going to be a giant laggfest, and therefore I wasn’t sure if we would want it on our main square, but, having now played with it a bit, I think I can keep this quite modest. :)
    Also, it being on SMP1 means Tom and I can connect it to our main 966 tp hub. Currently, a defunct mall build from 2014 resides on this res, but we are working on making it a really nice teleportation area for all our current and future projects, which we are hopefuly able to finish in, like, half a year.

I would have to discuss with Tom though. :p

Lastly, just so you know, I would only be able to start seriously working on this project in 3-4 weeks. I'm quite busy currently :p

What do you think? :)
    607 likes this.
  11. Well, That stacked system is quite compact compared to what I was considering. I can handle the non-stackable sorters as I have a couple that work really well for me already. But we've decided to use Katy's utopia residence, and she's already begun work on the central spawn. I'll do some measuring but I'm thinking of perhaps 4 wings of 25 slices. For symmetry. But I'll put some things together in creative and see the footprint and get an estimate for the resources required. We'll need to get some donations before we can really start the redstone side of things. Perhaps have an event or something to do a "fundraiser". As for the smelter and composter, that should be pretty simple. Well as I was composing this, DrasLeona just donated a DC of iron blocks. So that's incredible. Anyways, I'll get some exact numbers with litematica in creative and see if I can't try to make that design a little more compact, but it's pretty squished in there already.
    Egeau and 607 like this.
  12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZh6Npg_UIw&t=277s
    this is a rapscallion design with recent updates. wondering if it would help any with the footprint. It is tileable and apparently follows the hopper transfer speed - even if emc nerfs or increases it (which i understand to be a plus)
  13. Great :) That also means that I won’t have to do a lot of redstone, so maybe I’ll just make a world with all the base circuits I’d use in it and leave you to it. I have a really good and reliable shulker unloader and sorter, so I’ll just copy-paste that one over to that world using WorldEdit, but, apart from that, I’ll trust you with it. :)
    As for the base slice: I’ll spent one or two more hours doing some compacting and testing and other stuff like that. When that is finished, I’ll also run the slice through a 100-hour test in different locations and orientations (using a tick warp, of course,) using some automatically generated random output, to make sure it won’t break on us. You can never do too much testing :p
    As this system is going be used by fools, I’ll also do some unload testing, to make sure everything survives getting randomly unloaded, and being partially loaded. The last one being the biggest issue. I used dropper lines in my previous design. Those break when only a small part is loaded, so I’m either going to have to use some redstone to detect the system getting unloaded, found a way around it breaking, or I’m going to have to fundamentally change what I was doing. Worst-case scenario: one more hopper and some extra space used per item type: nothing too bad.
    I’ve also done some research into other people’s systems, but it seems all use water stream sorters, which we cannot practically use here.

I would want to ask you if you’ve done the same with your non-stackable sorters. You can, of course, build them in one chunk, to make sure they won’t get partially loaded, but unload proofing is something you might not have done jet. I’m sure everything works on your res when you operate it, but making sure it works somewhere else where no one is supervising it is an entirely different story.
    Great :)
    I will say, though, that I am kind of… stressed by how little planning you are doing… I would do so much more testing before I would even think about building stuff in survival. Not just the redstone, the design as well. I would want to test different floor plans, different path widths, everything to make sure you can walk to it as easily as possible, (which means it should be small,) it feels as grand as possible, it is as organised as possible, and the redstone is as well-placed as possible. (nothing on chunk borders, well-placed and slotted in, but not too tightly packed, etc.)
    I guess all this planning is why I take ~60 hours to design a large redstone project, but then have it not fail on me whilst using it for a few years.
    This is what training to become an engineer does to you: beware of what master you chose, kids. :p

Minecraft currently has ~800 stackable items. That would indeed be 4*25. I would suggest gong for 4*30, though. Not only does that give you a lot more freedom when it comes to organising, it also gives some room for expansion, since, you know, Minecraft has the tendency to add ~20 new blocks every year.
    If I were you, I would make a spreadsheet with all stackable items until 1.17, and then sort those in Exel into the groups you want That should give you a clear view of what is needed. Then, add ~5 slices to the biggest one for expansion possebilities :p

If you throw some (16?) chests down, I’ll donate some Dcs of wool to redstone on. :p I once did all this testing to make a really efficient wool farm, and, what can I say, it’s a bit too fast, producing more than a SC per colour per hour. It’s usually turned off. :p
    Also, if you run out of Iron, I still have *a few* DCs of blocks lying around :p
    As for redstone dust: I am kind of low at the moment, but I do have a map art that uses ~1.5Dcs of redstone blocks that I am too lasy to get back myself on SMP8, so, if you want, I could permit you to break those block-protected blocks, and use what you need of those. :)

Making it fool-proof is the problem. You don’t want it to break when it unloads, so flying-machine based bamboo is off-limits. I’ll do some basic testing with the ideas I had. I already have a smelter that turns on and runs completely unsupervised, so I have a basic idea of how to do this.

That would indeed be the first thing you think about when working on a system like this. It is referred to as a "variable item sorter" or a "multiple item sorter," and I already addressed it in my previous post.
    (Technically speaking, the system you linked is a multiple item sorter that uses several variable item sorters, as they are different things. Jet, a variable item sorter is usually only used as the main component of a multiple item sorter, so it checks out. The variable item sorter is the thing that has the tendency to break on you, especially when randomly unloaded)
    I would also like to add that the specific system you linked breaks on EMC, as the defragmenter is too fast, though I have seen people design a new defragmenter that makes it work. It’s a great system for the personal sorter of a redstoner, and I know someone who uses it on EMC. I just wouldn’t trust it to run unsupervised.
  14. I noticed both. Maybe for this project the ideal way of going about it would be somewhere in between. :p It does seem a waste of potential to dive into this headfirst, excitedly building things to then have a system that doesn't catch on or is obsolete in a few months. However, it also seems a waste of time to have many weeks of planning for a project that is intended mostly for its practical purpose, and that would be more useful the sooner it is ready.
    In my personal view, I would say that the ease of use and practicality should be given more attention than Katy might at first sight deem necessary, and that the looks and design should be given less attention than Egeau might at first sight deem necessary. But that's just a suggestion. :)
    Egeau likes this.
  15. I'm not going to do any aesthetic building on this project: that would take me far too much time. All I'm doing is practical planning and testing. Most of this "overall planning" stuff doesn't actually take too much time, it's just a list of requirements you need to keep in the back of your head :p

-

Anyway, I spent the afternoon redstoning. :p

I spent some time doing tests with various ways of sorting, and found that, unfortunately, only the old hoppers above hoppers approach actually functions reliably with unloads. The dropper line didn’t work, no matter what further redstone to prevent it running when getting unloaded I tried.

So: It’s time for the main hall design.
    First, I spent some time figuring out what the ideal lay-out would be for the chests. I wanted to make sure that every chest had a clearly readable item frame, and a clearly findable block placement in front of it. (lapis in the example.) I also wanted all those blocks to be visible when flying though the hall in a line.
    For the redstone: I wanted all torches to have a light block next to it, and I wanted all chests and item frames to be clearly lit from the back. I also wanted all sorter hoppers to be easily accessible, and I preferred them all on one line. The last one would make it possible to do the access of the chest with sub-residences, instead of sub-flags. (You don’t want people to access the sorter hoppers, after all.)
    All these restrictions lead to two logical answers. This system here:

And this system here:

One of them has two DC an item type, as there is enough space for two DC a type, the second one is a similar system, that has been reduced to 1DC per item.
    On my system (i5 4670 with 4GB ram allocated and a GTX 960– running 4 wings of 30 slices, 960 item types in total) I couldn’t measure a significant difference in server lag. Both using around 12mspt, (MilliSeconds Per Tick,) meaning I could make four of these systems and run them in the same world without my system lagging. The fifth would start bringing the TPS down.
    (the full measurements were 11.75, 11.30 and 11.61 as compared to 11.48, 12.19 and 11.83. Each is an average over 3600 ticks)
    This might seem rather bad, but I doubt it is going to cause issues. People aren’t going to afk here, so it can be more laggy than, let’s say, a farming residence. Also: sorting systems are just going to lag a bit, there is nothing you can do about that… I think it’s fine.

After that, I tested client-side lag.
    First, I tested it on my main system, which is heavily modded both for performance optimisation and for building. Here, the smaller one averaged out around 110fps, the larger one got around 90.
    Then, I tested it on my laptop, which is a HP Probook G7, with an i5 10210u, 2GB of allocated ram for Minecraft, and integrated graphics. I tested it with a completely vanilla 1.16.4 client and got roughly 30 fps at the hall with 2DC per type, and roughly 35fps at the hall with only 1DC per type.

This difference in client-lag might be significant, but I don’t think it’s a good reason to not have 2DC per item type, as it is practically unnoticeable. The only valid reason I see is to save on items, in which case you would do one DC instead of two for 6 stacks of iron blocks, and a single chest of logs.

What is going to be an issue with client-lag, is the item frames.
    The system, as I designed it, has this lay-out here, with both a block and an item frame. When the block cannot be placed (or wouldn’t fit in a flooring) a “close enough” block can be placed, keeping the item frame correct:

This would mean there would be 920 item frames on this residence.

For the server, this doesn’t really matter: it increases the MSPT by 1, but it is quite significant on the client.
    Adding all the item frames to the 2DC system, my main client goes to 70fps, and my laptop goes to 20. Both are definitely still playable, but my laptop fps is not nice, especially considering it’s still a decent system.
    I feel like I have to do some lag-optimising on the client-side, but, sadly, nothing short of “just reduce the amount of items” and “reduce item frame usage” seems to work. I tested everything I could think of for both on an unoptimised client and a client with proper java installation and performance mods, both on my laptop, and nothing really seemed to work. I had some hope that changing the shape could do something (as to have a clear border for the rendering engine between sides, and never load multiple wings at once,) bot that didn’t seem to work either.
    All with all, I think we’re just going to have to accept that this is going to be a laggy residence for the client. One good thing is: the properly optimised laptop client does run 35fps, so it’s nothing too bad, it’s just… not ideal.

To do this testing, though. I made a small hall, to simulate what having aesthetics in the area would be like, and I think it really nicely shows that I made sure that you can see all the blocks placed on the floor at once when flying, (both the top and bottom row are visuable) so at least that’s kind of neat :p

This build might be quite ugly (at least it’s not up to my standard of what constitutes “good looking,”) but I do think there is one thing you should take away from this: keep the base design simple. There are so many blocks placed on the floor that all have so many different colours, that adding colours to the base design is probably going to look really bad. I really suggest only using whites and really dark blocks in the main halls.

I guess that’s all for the main hall design.

As for the shulker unloader: It turns out that the one I use broke in 1.16… I hadn't noticed that jet...

I do, though, still have a really neat shulker sorter and potion sorter.

I just plopped them in the world.
    They might seem rather large and bulky, but they’re really reliable, especially since all the sorting happens in the same game tick: It’s a small instant dropper line that ends in either a shulker or a brewing stand. If it cannot go into that inventory, it gets picked up by the hopper below the dropper, if it can, it’s never been above that hopper: it’s an instant dropper line.
    I call it an “instant dropper line” but, as you can see, it’s really just an auto-dropping circuit with a second dropper attached to it, that is powered later in the same gametick.
    These systems have been thoroughly tested by now, both on EMC and in creative. :)

Okay, I guess that’s all for my second long post today. I hope this was helpful :)

The world download to the slice designs and such can be found here:
    https://puu.sh/Hrrcm/0a0eb84c59.zip

The materials used for the 2DC system with 4 wings of 30 slices is:
    Random redstone building material: 5800
    Redstone dust: 2880
    Hopper: 4944
    Chest: 5280
    Repeater, Comparator, Redstone torch, item frame: 960
    Barrel: 240
    Dropper: 1104 (can also be replaced with composters)
    Random light block (I suggest Jack o’Lanterns) 1680
    607 likes this.
  16. There's a lot to go through here.
    I haven't extensively tested unloading them, but trust me, I unload my sorter on accident all the time. Honestly the shulker and potion sorter I use is similar to the ones you linked, just using an observer clock instead. I actually got it from rapscallion, but it didn't actually work, so I tweaked it and it has never failed me yet. Like I said, I often accidentally unload my sorter quite often and will even unload it purposefully if I know the items aren't going through the variable part. Never once has the shulker filter broken, of course I can run some tests on it though, just to be safe. The potion filter is the same, just with a brewing stand instead of a shulker box.

This is actually just a version of what I use on my res. Trust me, people unloading this would basically end up causing it to not even sort items at all. Me accidentally unloading mine and coming right back doesn't do much, a few items in the wrong chests is easy to fix, but people doing that almost constantly, that's not going to be real fun to maintain.

I'm trying to think of anything I missed, but it's too early in the morning and my witch farm has drained my redstone knowledge out of me. If only we could bring mobs through portals....

Let me know what you think of the shulker/potion filter above.
    607 and Egeau like this.
  17. That design would be fine aswell. :)

I've just been "traumatised" by people, or, well, youtubers, using and showing really bad shulker sorters... As you said, this is the same hopper speed system as I tend to use, just wiered a bit differently. :p
    I still prefer my own system, of course. You system, when fed items at hopper speed, collects three items in the top dropper. (as it takes some time to turn on) mine doesn't. It's not important and it's the only difference.
    Also, your system, when compacted down like this:

is only 36 or 24 (depending on how you messure) blocks in volume, where as mine, when compacted down like this:

is 40 or 30. :p
    My wiering is a bit cleaner, and your wiering is a bit smaller :)

Also, inspiered on your shulker sorter, I designed this really neat sorter+auto dropper. It's quite a lot smaller than anything reliable I've found on youtube. I've tested it for a few hours now, and it seems to be compleatly reliable :)
    This system might come in handy for the smetry and the composter. :)

Anyway, that will be all from me for now. I don't think I have anything more to add :)
    607 likes this.