My thoughts on the Empire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HelloKittyRo2, Oct 9, 2015.

1. 0
    All of these threads are full of bandwagoners. One person posts a thread and has an issue, and twenty-seven other people automagically have that issue too. Happens all the time. Three issues are presented in the OP and I feel the need for absolutely none of them to be expressed. I pointed them out in that post.
    • A player's ban. Seriously, how long has it been? A month? And we're still dwelling on this? It's one staff decision the OP doesn't agree with.
    • A staff member defending her team. One post by a staff member that was perhaps a little too opinionated. One, and we're making a thread about it?
    • Community decline. Been brought up a thousand times. We're beating a dead and decayed horse with this one.
    • Cory's post. Too tempting to resist after his behavior last UHC.
    The like farming part? That's an unintended side effect of these type of threads.
    Mman, Deadmaster98, LuckyPat and 6 others like this.
  2. My thoughts are the staff make mistakes sometimes but we all make mistakes in life were humans. and if staff are ever AFK remember they have to do every thing we do do homework watch there children go the bathroom excetra.
    my point is be patient and nice and wait for them to give you answer don't spam.
    iamcavie, Mman and Krysyy like this.
  3. I made the first section a little more personal than the other two (which are more staff-technic related), so pardon the shift in tone throughout.
    Sorry, but this is pure hypocrisy. <- I should have no fear to call someone out on this.
    We get our grammar, niceness, strictness, etc, picked on constantly and we can't pull apart another's post?
    Matheus literally made that one, single line with IMO at the end.
    So why do you think we get upset over this kind of response? Because it is at the slightest upset we get blown up over.
    I am sad to say this behavior is so reoccurring and abhorrent it does need to become our problem. At that point do not expect us, or any human person for that matter, to be peachy with whom they are dealing with. As I will reiterate later, serious matters will be handled, well, seriously. Everything else included is the fruit of our mood.

Perhaps I can clarify?
    We will present evidence where it is pertinent. Specifically, we will present it via a PM the player makes with us to discuss it. This is done to serve wherein the accused is in denial or is otherwise disputing his punishment. This by no means should be public info... for the player's sake or for our sake.
    Nor should we have to post it in game. The logs do not have a format that works to copy+paste into chat. Therefore it is logical to paraphrase the incident based on logs--as was the method used similarly seen in this thread.
    Moreover, if it is serious enough to dispute, for the love of all that is good don't do it in-game. A mute, especially in the case of an argument, and as is no different here, essentially means to "drop it, now," in the effort to keep chat moderated. Whether the situation is elevated to become the Community Manager's business, a serious situation should be treated, well, seriously. Forum PMs are the way to go here. If it is a well thought out, detailed response one wants, then expect to wait while information is compiled.

I figure I should just touch on this, too, since it is a technical thing.
    Undefined simply means no reason publicly given. This is normally because the command messed up and didn't include the reason :p . That's okay, though, because even if it doesn't show up in game we put the reason and evidence separately as a log entry on a player's square profile. If ever the information is greatly needed in the future it can be pulled from there. "Undefined" doesn't mean we are erasing all evidence of one's ban or all evidence that he even existed at all, lol. Chances are when the banned player sees "undefined" as the ban reason in the log-in error screen, it probably means he was caught in the act in-game and knows what he did anyway (command usage for banning in game is much more complicated than banning using our nifty square tool, and therefore is prone to errors. In fact I believe we stopped using in-game commands for banning altogether not too long ago for this reason).

Also forgive me for taking so long to write this out and not hitting all the points I could have. I was mulling over this for a while. Still had to touch on the important stuff though, relevant or not.
  4. So... last comment for this evening...

So some people have a very outspoken opinions about the staff, how they "abuse" their power, etc, etc, and how the community got more obnoxious over time (in a nutshell).

What I haven't really seen so far are any suggestions or ideas on how to improve on all this? It's what I mentioned a few times now: it's one thing to comment, acting on it is a whole lot different.
  5. 'nuff said
    ChickenDice likes this.
  6. Thanks for a summary. :) Now if everyone will agree with you on that, I have no idea lol.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. I love you Lucky Green Bird. => He said it so much better than I at this moment. I skimmed and then skipped to the end cause I kept seeing the same lines over and over and over... and over again and what kept popping in my head was ... Taylor Swifts' ''Shake it Off" cause that's really what this post is about isn't it? It's always the same people causing the drama and stirring hate.. pointing out a mistake or turning a learning moment into something so over the top and accusing staff of being ..what? Haters? People who love to ban, mute or otherwise abuse others!? Yep! I'm very sure this is why they are picked to be staff... their absolute disdain for others. I'm sure of it! I mean.. Look at me for instance.. I'm sure I really don't like helping people at all and I'm absolutely sure I included that in my application for staff.
    Oh! and one more thing.. we really aren't different people.. we are exactly alike and respond exactly like each other to every instance that occurs. it's so true dude... (rolls eye) yea.. yes we really hate all the players here... it's why we're staff. <again with the dang eye rolling>
    Why is it you feel you have to spread your hate all over? Is life that bad or confusing for you? I'm really trying to understand why you feel you and others have to put other people (y'all so know who you are) down some much for just being different than you and seeing/feeling things differently. A lot of your post.. aka attacks.. all have the same feel to them and you keep doing the same thing over and over.. just start on '[insert latest object of hate]' and it all sounds the same. So repetitive.

Yer right.. I named no names because ... it's really not necessary is it? I mean.. really? o_o

You can bash me all you want, I love this EMC community and I will continue to work to help make it safe and fair to everyone who'd like to be here and yep! I certainly am one who messes up from time to time but my intentions are honest and i strive to do the right thing. lol.. I will most certainly screw up from time to time .. after all.. I'm only a dragon who loves her community with a dragons heart. <3 and yeah.. I have enough love to include you too.

edited to add: excerpt: Is life that bad or confusing for you? If you really do feel down please call someone, talk to someone.. me for instance .. I do care and i would listen.. or .. if yer not comfortable with that you could even contact: http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html

The whole point is that you don't have to go at it alone.
  8. *SIIIGH* This is gonna be a multi-parter since I hit the 10,000 character limit. I hope you're happy with your essay TLDR comments, Shel, since this is the reason why I hit 10k characters. Heck, I was bound to sometime.

ANYWAY:

<PART 1>

I was referring to the afk situation with [unnamed] awaiting a response for an hour in reply to this. Somewhere down the line, I believe issues here could have been mixed up.
    I apologize. I'll let this slide.

I know they're not being paid, but they still have obligations to use the right powers at the right times.
    We're talking about incidents when the right powers are being used at wrong times, or vice-versa.

Dunno, but I'm pretty sure these can all be accounted for as abuse of powers. If it's not, then what else do I call these... "strange specific exceptions to the rule?"
    • Banning someone who did nothing wrong on a server outside of EMC that staff owns but not the lead developer from both that server AND EMC itself, with no access to any of their own "video evidence" or proof and no chance for an appeal, mentioning several times that he feels like he's talking to a brick wall. Yes, it's happening.
    • Muting someone for being silly and not even hurting a fly (again, I'd just like confirmation if he, specially, WAS given warnings to stop. If he was, I won't ask what they were exactly, but I am willing to let this go if he was, indeed, specifically given a warning... and not if the warning was generally towards everyone and not targeted at Cory specifically for Cory to stop).
    • Not replying to someone who asks you for help while they wait an hour for you to respond, without even an "I'm busy" or anything like that
    • After much thought and consideration from many members of an smp who had a problem with a specific user that couldn't listen to staff, the staff decided the best course of action was "permaban for reason: Undefined," showing that anyone can be banned for that reason.
    You seem to know how staff work, so if you could interpret these for me I'd be grateful.

Moderators have the option to take administrative action if they see a player doing something wrong. If they don't see a player doing something wrong, they must be notified by a regular player. They also must be sure that what they say and what they do isn't in error.

Also, congrats on being the second to subtly attack me for whatever reason with the following:
    I don't hate Staff, no one does. We're afraid to speak to them, yes, but it seems rather childish to mock us for thinking we're afraid of Staff and hate them in-general, right? You're also implying here that we're dolts for being afraid of staff and "shuddering in fear" of them. And if talking about a problem with Staff = insulting staff because we consider them scary, then it implies they cannot take criticism, which is exactly what was mentioned before.

I appreciate you coming forward with this, and I'm glad your situation was handled well in the end. :) But read what I mentioned above; basically, not everyone has been successful with reaching Staff at times like this, though several people mentioned they have. Again, it is the exceptions to the rule here that -- while we can admit we're human and make mistakes -- Staff have decided to brush under the rug or basically tell the other person "You're banned on both servers and never coming back. You are not to speak of this with anyone, and you will not be allowed your right to view the evidence of yourself being banned because it's unfair to others who were banned." I think, if they were more open and honest with their mistakes instead of deepening their lies or further justifying something that shouldn't have justification, they might gain a bit more respect from us. We understand that they're human, and that they mot always be perfect, but they get it right most of the time. When they don't, they should not feel compelled (or even be allowed) to hide it from others and then just shrug it off as if they never acted that way. If anything, their reputation will shine even more because of admitting when they were wrong or even just apologizing.

I can agree with this. Fair enough.

Maybe "accurate" wasn't the right word. Sorry, that's my bad.
    I know, at the very least, /report cannot be used for anonymous griefings because neither you nor the other person involved

I know right? So many assumptions. hint-hint

• You completely missed where I not only brought up several choice quotes from you, but also noted that you acted this same way on other forum threads.
    • You completely missed where I stated I wasn't the only one that felt like this.
    • And finally, you completely missed the point I made where, simply put, this wasn't the "first time you supported Staff" nor was it "just now making you support them in everything they do." More like, it's been a very common theme with you for quite a while.
    Additionally, it seems like any threads such as these that pop up make you extremely determined to post your opinion about this, no matter what. Any threads. Not. Just. This. One.

...I can agree to disagree with this, since everyone

1. Because of the nature of the incident, because of the Staff not releasing any information or evidence regarding his ban (even to the person who was banned himself, fyi, which never happens; usually if you're banned you're at least given information regarding why), and because of names being censored and all (another common theme I've seen lately)... no. I have not experienced it for myself, and no. Sadly, I'm basing it on what other players have told me. It's an unreliable source, I admit, but as you can see we're clearly not allowed the real source information. No one is.
    2. This "took place" a few months ago, right in the aftermath of another UHC event, which has lately been notorious for these kinds of wrongful incidents (and which has pushed some people away who planned to take part in it one day because of it). He's been waiting for a response to his appeal and keeping up with it. But at this point it seems to him like he's pleading with a brick wall, soooo he kinda gave up 2 weeks ago (the incident must've happened at least a month ago).

Read above.

Part 2 coming soon.
  9. We never said staff doesn't help anybody. We never said that all staff likes to ban players or kick players. We never said that we hated staff, so where are you getting this from? And second of all, why the hell are you saying that we were bashing staff..
  10. <PART 2>

If they're one-sided, maybe someone on the staff team would like to share what really happened? I don't understand how showing the truth or chat logs (or even confirmation which, sadly, that can't even be trusted anymore for reasons I'll explain) would "hurt Staff's reputation."
    Here's the thing though: staff are responding. Several have "responded" in this thread already, with some rather bittersweet responses as well, might I add.
    And what if that's exactly the case, with staff going into "can't or won't respond to them" mode? Pretty sure anyone who is banned deserves to know why, whether it was justifiable or not. If it was justifiable, this thread would not exist, and we could accept that if we knew that the reason for the ban truly was a good one and with their hearts in the right place. But holding staff to their word can't be done anymore, apparently, especially with experiences players have received before and are being brought to attention at the moment, if any.

Kinda a bit over-exaggerating there? Unless he stated and admitted himself that he really did do that.
    Note: I know you're not. But this is going way off the deep end, and I know no one in their right mind would talk to their mother -- let alone a staff member on EMC -- like that. It doesn't seem very practical at all, and the regular member in question is not that immature at all. It just seems like you picked the absolute worst-case scenario for this, which isn't right... ^^;

I will not deny that, since I too have been "on the wrong end of a moderator." I'll spare you and everyone else the details, but now I just find it completely awkward whenever I try to talk to him now, even if it's just a casual conversation.

If it's the same moderator that everyone is afraid of, it's obvious.

Sending a PM to someone in charge in-general makes you kinda nervous to begin with, especially to a highly-respected staff member since, again, you're right: people who find themselves on the wrong end of a moderator WILL, in fact, be unhappy from the get go. Now, take that nervousness and suddenly it increases exponentially when not only do you find yourself generally intimidated by Staff lately, but now you're too afraid to even ask them for help. Again, this is not what moderation should be like.

Criticism? Easy. Taking it? Not so much. Taking criticism is hard for a lot of people. Heck, I have a hard time taking it myself, but I'm slowly learning to overcome that.

Does any of this matter? Consider the following:

Of course he wasn't. It doesn't take half a brain to figure that out. It was mentioned to him though, and was one of the factors that sparked this thread.

We're not "allowed" research.
    Hidden from the public? Eh, how about no.
    Apparently, staff don't have to tell anyone anything.
    Trust me when I say this. I'd LOVE to know the real stories behind all of these, and NOT just one-sided ones. Of course, I'd sound less uneducated myself if I knew what truly happened (we all would).

• Your "opinion" = "staff are right and you're wrong; keep calm and carry on."
    • Yes, we ARE trying to get others to understand how we feel; that was... kinda the main point of this thread?????
    • I'm not speaking for everyone, obviously, so "that last comment" of yours is invalid. If you read the OP in the thread then you'd KNOW that OP was just stating his thoughts on the matters.
  11. ....I think this thread has the longest responses I have ever seen on here. Maybe others have seen worse. Its just my observation.
  12. Thanks for the example :p

Edit: not to say that there isn't some SERIOUS whining going on around these posts lol

No one even read all of part one. not sure why there is a part 2? hehe
    Dektirok likes this.
  13. Well, I better call it a night. I hope everyone finds their peace and hopefully kryss wont have to make it for everyone again. Lets play minecraft, or sleep like in my case haha.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  14. Oh lol! I think the staff they are trying to hang is me! xD .. because I know I said those very same words to someone or two. This is so dang funny!! I wasn't getting mad or trying to defend myself! xD teeeee heee I was merely stating what was going on at the moment. I didn't realize that (wasn't thinking .. doh!) while I was investigating or just talking with a player about what had gone on or what was going on or that had 'a problem' that I would go afk and when someone 'spoke' to me they'd get that reply. lol ..I do remember very well when that happened and the lovely, sweet person made such a big deal about the fact that they got an afk message from a mod that was online and mods aren't supposed to be afk when they're working!. I simply responded in town chat about what I was doing. It was None of their business what I was doing as it didn't concern them in the least. Yes, i was kinda new at being staff and a bit overwhelmed at alllllll of the attention (via pm's .. a lot) that I received. lol.. I have been and xD continue to be one of the people that says hello to the staff and others when they log on (IF! my nose isn't toooo far buried in a build >_> .. just sayin'). To conclude...
    haters gonna hate, hate, hate... =] but not me I ain't gonna and you can't make me. =p

:rolleyes:

I love EMC
    PenguinDJ, DanialBuchinger and 607 like this.
  15. Hey all,
    If you have a bad experience or a serious concern over a matter with staff, write a PM to Kryssy. I am just about positive that is the official policy (little help here from those who know these things better than I do please).
    Kryssy will get back to you. Will she reply immediately? Probably not. She has a life, she has a crapton of messages I am sure, and it may take her a few weeks to investigate. Patience. She WILL reply to you though. If a few weeks go by, and you don't get a reply, assume it's because she is merely mortal, technology goes "bloop" some days, stuff happens, and resend it with a polite "hey, when you've a chance, could you reply to this please? thanks!".
    That's how you address an issue or concern with staff. EMC and Kryssy do give us a way to deal with these concerns in a productive manner.

These kinda threads let people vent. That's ok, venting can be cathartic sometimes. When the hot air is done though, it's time to chill, sit back, and shut down the vent so it doesn't turn into a rant fest. A rant fest (or the interwebz favorite, the flame war), just hurts people's feelings. I think we're headed there (if not there already) on this thread, and no one needs that kinda indigestion ;)

If you desperately need to keep going here, I would suggest trying to ask a few questions. "What do I wish had happened? What could I do differently? What do I wish the mod had done differently? What can I do now to feel better about --insert your experience here--? " Ask for help. Ask for advice. Finish venting and then try to make it better :)

Cheers all, and happy minecrafting :)
    Jules a.k.a khizan
    cj12115, CadenMann, PenguinDJ and 6 others like this.
  16. Well, I apologize if I didn't find it funny or mature. Was I supposed to laugh at that comment he made? :confused:

You guys are literally higher-up than we are, though. You saying I'm a hypocrite is just like... *sigh*
    ok, imagine a supervisor bullying an employee, then the employee telling him how low that is and the supervisor telling the EMPLOYEE that HE'S a hypocrite for calling HIM out.

I really dislike this mindset and it just really irks me...

In all seriousness, how would you react if someone replied to you with something like this:
    Would you not be hysterical as well? Or would you not know how to respond instead...?

I also do not agree that this information should be public (since it's personal), and if someone is banned only that person should be banned, but some confirmation would be nice instead of holding all the information back. Maybe just a simple "Yes" or "No?" I mean, you wouldn't have to get into specifics, but if I get word from Staff or someone banned that someone is right (and not wrong) then we'd have a few less conflicts with a few less one-sided stories. Like, if Staff is right, or Staff says the person who did something wrong is right, or the banned person got honest confirmation that they were right? Just, some kind of confirmation, maybe, so we don't sound like mindless "authority haters" and whatnot ^^;

I, too, do not like to dispute things in-game. That's what the forums are for, of course. When I'm in the game, I just want to play it. If people are muted, they most likely won't want to discuss anything in-game anyway, and not just because they can't. If they got a mute, then heck; maybe they *should* take a chill pill during their mute. "Cory is annoying," especially if you're basically referring to yourself in third person (which, in itself, is silly :p), shouldn't really be considered "backtalking a Mod." I don't think it should push any staff over the edge enough to warrant a mute, either. But heck, that's just my opinion. Probably not what the staff thought at the time, but the staff was hard-pressed and probably stressed... that much I can't blame the staff for.

Ah, ok... that clears it up e_e So... no more non-defined permabans? ;) --kidding--

It's fine... honestly, a lot of this was interesting to know. It IS kinda cool to see how the inner workings of most of the Empire (and the staff moderation system) work, along with the custom coding for EMC itself which just so happens to fall on the same day. xD
  17. cause you are
    PenguinDJ and LadBlo like this.
  18. Sigh... perhaps I should once make one of these threads myself. I wonder what would happen. As long as threads containing opinions aimed towards staff aren't forbidden yet.
    AIEEEEEEEEEEEEE likes this.
  19. Penguin has been having a field day calling out people on things he has been constantly guilty of as of late XD
    TsuriNeko likes this.
  20. Guys. At the end of the day we are all family no matter what. I hate seeing people fight and argue. When of course werea all part of the same empire. Every staff experience i have is always a positive one. You gotta realize 90% of their fun is taken away once given that green nametag. And you know why they give it up? For every one of you. Individually and as a whole. No matter what you look like or do to them they will always be there for you. No can we just get along and play minecraft like one big happy family? :)