Misc updates - 1/31/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Awesome Aikar!
    Thanks for spending the time to have the hounds tear me up in the nether, and for the other fixes! (not joking, I love fighting them).

I donate to help EMC. The extra perks are nice, but are not the reason I support.

One thing I am a little afraid of with the map hide feature, is griefers. Paid supporters have a bit more to lose as compared to free members, and I know it comes down to the caliber of the person playing, and not their 'supporter status'. And personally I really have not had much broken that I really care about.

Possibly make it so that new players have to work for an achievement before they can get this ability? If free members care about being able to hide, then they would most certainly play towards getting it. (more incentive to play more often?)

It just makes me a bit scared building in the wild, losing the ability just to live map to see if anybody is around.
    Would have been better to allow this once the 'mini empires' in the wild would protect peoples builds.
    Or possibly let paying members 'see' free players on the map to make sure that they are not around their areas.
    But I also have every bit of confidence you weighed in the risk/reward factor too, but I just had to toss it out there.

Thanks Aikar for your hard work, and breathing more life into EMC!
  2. well are you going to add at least one perk to all donators since the map hide thing has been added to all players. this doesnt just affect iron supporters but all of us. most people became gold because it is a better over all deal. you say iron supporters will be given more perks but will gold and diamond get at least one more to

EDIT: can gold members get tnt perm then :D
  3. This is a prime example to why gold members or even diamond need an extra perk. Players like this need something more like tnt perm :D
  4. Iron perks are carried by Gold and Diamond too, so the replacement for map hide will simply replace the perk for everyone. :)
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  5. So supporters can only do /map show?
    Free players are now stuck on /map hide!
  6. I believe regular players, and supporters, both have /map show
  7. Free players have been able to do /map show for a few months now.
  8. Exactly.

And /map hide being given everyone was more to help PROTECT from griefers...

A common requirement for Outposts in the wild is you must be a supporter to join... That just wasn't fair.

Knowing someone is near you will not protect you from a griefer.

Supporters do not "need" any perk. The reason /map hide was given to everyone is because it was something players "needed".

If something was a need, then it should be given to all players.

Supporter perks are intended to be a "value added service" as a way to say thanks. They are not intended to make one person better than another.

We have plans in the next few weeks to add even more supporter perks (for iron/gold/diamond), and there is a completely unheard of supporter perk coming in the future too.
  9. Top marks for the hide for everyone. With the Wild now a focus for EMC its only right.
  10. map hide for all... well there goes using livemap to find which servers to hunt mobs on...

I do like these changes though! :)
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  11. Thanks for sharing that!
  12. I would just like to bring this post to everyone's attention. /map hide is a big deal to supporters, and to take it away from them without a valid reason and without any idea of what could come as a replacement kind of concerns me.
  13. One of the main reasons I stopped going into the wild cause any base I would make would be griefed usually even far away cause I could be seen at all times. Also why I sometimes refused invites by supporter friends to visit their base's in the wild cause it usually meant someone else finding it all because of me etc.
    607 likes this.
  14. Thanks Aikar!
    Importerer and NZScruffy like this.
  15. I love the /map hide update bit but I agree with the people saying that you should add a perk to Iron just to balance it out. Maybe something along the lines of a daily rupee bonus boost.
  16. There has been numerous supporter perks added since that post.
    Increase Vault, Stables, Residence Tags and Reduced Ads.

And the fact it is a "big deal" is the reason it was given to all.

It's also worth nothing it was not "taken away", Supporters still have the benefit to use it. Instead, If Live Map was the only reason someone upgraded to Iron, I have given supporters them the option to not NEED to spend 5$/month now.

The Reason was very valid: it was unfair to the majority of the players that they were excluded from a popular activity on EMC, especially when its becoming a large part of our server: Living in the wild.

Of course I want people to support, but I will not do so at the sacrifice of the free players ability to do everything they wanted here.

I at one point of time came extremely close to quitting EMC because I could not play in the wild... Because many of my friends were not supporters.

That is a horrible place to put any player in, so that is why its not up for vote - I would rather sacrifice some Iron Supporter memberships just to make EMC a better place.
    607, NZScruffy, queendiva1 and 3 others like this.
  17. Want to know the extra perk all supporters get, now that /map hide is global?

Guaranteed server slot. I think you'll find yourself using it more often now that this change is in place. :D
  18. That's something I brought up in a topic I made months ago. About /map hide as well as TNT use for other players. Have a system set up where veteran active players (players who have played on the server for a long time and proven themselves not to be trouble makers. And not just players who logged in a long time ago and haven't been on in forever) would get the ability to /map hide like after a year or active playing maybe?

And same system for TNT except it would be more like how hunting tags are in real life. Where you have to sign up for them and then wait a while before getting to use it for a specific amount of time then you lose it and have to sign up again. So basically maybe have a thing on the website with drop down boxes stating where you want to use the TNT, your intent, and how long you plan to use it for.

For example some players might only need it for a day to clear out some area on their res. As long as there isn't a bunch of bans from griefing or history of causing trouble those would get shot out and maybe allowed within 24 hours. But for others who also aren't trouble makers but plan to use it in the wild or someplace for a longer period of time (a week or even a month) have to wait maybe a few days to a week or two before being allowed. Then after that time passes they lose the ability and if they need to use it anymore they have to go back and sign up again. However, for Diamond members they still can place and use TNT whenever without having to sign up. But I know from my topic I created there are still Diamond members who would be against that because they feel its taking it away from them, when its a block that's already in the game. It just so happens to be one griefers enjoy.
    pat2011 likes this.
  19. I'm noticing a heavy increase of lag on smp1. The TPS is at 20.0 all the time but the chat lag and entity lag is insane.. :\
  20. Interesting....

(Hey, Aikar, what about adding a /map potato, so your icon looks like a potato? :D :D )