Misc updates - 1/31/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 31, 2014.

1. I was poking around in that thread earlier also. I know someone who got banned because they let themselves get so upset over it. It's funny how things change.

My opinion differs from ICC's in that nearly every unwanted visit I have ever had was because someone saw either a surface structure or a person who was not hidden on Live Map and went there. This change eliminates half of that problem.

I didn't much like that I won't be able to track people using EMC Investigator and Live Map when Aikar mentioned it yesterday, but I actually feel kind of relieved now. If something happens I can now dump it into a mod's lap and let them deal with it instead of trying to collect evidence myself to pass on to them.

Keep in mind that many people won't even know this feature is available to them unless they dig around here or someone tells them. I never really had any control over what other people do in the Wild and I think our fear of grief is much greater than the reality anyway. Having the ability to hide/not hide plays into that fear so now I've got one less problem to worry about. I've developed this nice, Zen feeling over it.
  2. Yeah something I was gonna ask. Will /map hide be the default I assume it will be /map show for any new players and they will (maybe after a few months perhaps) figure out they can /map hide unless a supporter tells them right away why they can't be found on the live map or other players I guess now. So if the default is /map show then for a while any griefers who are to lazy to read the rules/wiki will still be visible for a while. :) And those are the ones who tend to go out try to mess up something then log off and never come back all within a short time of beginning.
    607 and Pab10S like this.
  3. Agree with the allowing the /map hide feature to free members, however I would say at most a month, or maybe 20 hours of active game play (for the weekend-ers), if it could be tied into the "away feature" so people just do not log in and have the ability after a day.
    I am sure there are some motivated players that would want to skip residence and go to live in the wild, but this time period would allow griefers to show their true colors. Heck, may motivate people to play more too!

We do got some good staff on though that keeps an eye on things, so maybe this fear of mine is getting the best of me. Either way, I am willing to roll the dice on whatever is decided to be the best route.
  4. Instead of being mad that everyone has the ability to protect themselves in the wild, think of it from other stances, like for example, there are people who cannot support unless it is gifted to them because Paypal doesn't list their country. Therefore they cannot support and use /maphide. You all also get more rupees for logging in, Diamond get TNT and Flying in Utopia Town, Free players only get 2 vault pages and then still have to pay 10r each time they are opened whereas supporters can get at least 5+ and then not have to pay for vault. You guys get more residences, Utopia wild, End and Nether, also:

Also now, your friends who want to join you at your wild base/create a wild base with you and are free members can now join you and be safer from griefers and this will help in the long run because now more people will be brave enough to venture into the wild/wastelands.
    607, QuarterStop, cddm95ace and 3 others like this.
  5. Well... Looks like the investigator is pretty much broken now.
  6. i'm actually in favor of this feature givin to all. Simply for the reason that well yes i like being able to hide in the wild but being as i can't currently afford my son's account being upgraded he was not able to hide in the wide like i could and risked compromising our location to possible griefers. ty aikar for allowing me and my son to live peacefully in the wild without the worry of strangers poping in the startle the living crud out of us lol.

Edit: awe man, my reason for avoiding the nether has returned. i used to hate the ghasts, but could hide under ground. but no cant mine anywhere there now without being massacred by angry dogs!!! please i beg you aikar please set them like the pig-men to only attack if hit 1st. or at least only spawn in a 9x9 open area like the slimes do
  7. Thanks Aikar :)
    I like that everyone can /map hide now :p
  8. lol couldnt hurt to try XD
  9. i think the /map hide is ok to give to every one, but can there be a "backdoor" for the emc investigator? just to see if anyone have been at your base?
    maybe limit it to a small area at each search.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  10. you arent afraid of griefers /map hiding ? this doesnt seem fair at all to the people who actually pay to get the /map hide perk.
  11. It's always been a main point of the EMC investigator that it can't locate hidden players, because it it could, it would take away the privacy that people feel they get from /map hide.
    I myself wouldn't wan't a backdoor to a feature designed to protect wild players as it would make me feel a lot less safer in the wil
    Also, whether someone's been at your base or not should be none of your concern if you haven't been griefed or stolen from. :)
  12. Whether or not griefers /map hide makes no difference :)
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  13. The majority of griefers are those that have come straight out of the tutorial and don't care whether or not they /map hide. They will grief whether you can see them or not.
    *EDIT* Alex'd
    607 likes this.
  14. if it was like, say, only searchable by an area 10x10 to see if anyone have been in your house. nobody is searching the entire wild to see if someone has been there.
    if they see a wild base, does it matter who they see have been there? they still see the base.
    607 and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  15. it does because if you think someone is going to grief you , you can check live map if there coming out. now you cant. thats basically stopping an attack before it gets to you. if your base was going to get griefed, and yuo saw someone swimming/running/climbing out to it, would you rather have time to get a mod then have to wait for them to already grief and you lose stuff (often good stuff that costs alot) before they get a warning/ get banned? it would only make sense to me if you guys look at it from how i see it.
  16. What I do is periodically check /c l and then /c who to see if anyone is in my vicinity because I doubt anyone ALWAYS has live map open, it's just a waste. Most of the time if a briefer is coming out they would do it when you aren't online if they are going to destroy your base, not when you're lurking there anyway.
    AlexChance and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  17. Interesting concept. Perhaps with claimable land, you can make it so that all players on the land have forced Livemap show? You can then set permissions to hide by the person, but you run little risk of griefing, at least in the area that you have claimed.
    607 likes this.
  18. I doubt that Aikar would work to implement such features for a Non-Official tool such as the investigator mainly because
    • Any findings found in it do not constitute proof of rule breaking or proof of being in the area.
    • Even if you have an idea of who it was and report it, the staff will sill carry out their own checks (which by the way includes hidden players)
  19. This does imply that you somehow know you are going to be griefed by that player, which of course you can't ever know :) The fact that they are in the area is almost irrelevant information as it doesn't prove anything of any wrongdoing (outside of staff investigations anyway)
    607 likes this.