Misc updates - 1/31/14

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 31, 2014.

• he could make it official.
    • maybe there haven't been griefing at your base, but something seems odd. have someone been there?
    • are you sure no one have found your base?
    • He won't, nothing in it constitutes proof, even if he did make it official staff will always make their own investigations (which are much more thorough than the investigator ever has been)
    • Why does it matter if somebody has? if you haven't been griefed/stolen there's no need to worry.
  1. you wont need proof that there havent been griefing at your base, you only need proof for your curiosity.
  2. I play primarily in an area of the Wild that covers maybe 1000 square blocks and includes a Nether access rail tunnel. There are eleven item farms there along with all the supporting infrastructure that makes the place livable. When there are multiple people using an area over a period of time, who did what gets confused. If someone out of the ordinary shows on Live map I can look in the areas he has been to see what he was up to and can pinpoint a specific timeframe that something happened and who was there to make the moderators job much easier. I can also login and talk to them right then and decide whether I feel comfortable with them or not. It is prevention more than a remedy. Live map and the Investigator are great tools for helping me keep tabs on what is happening over this wide area and I can use it to decide whether to let things go, investigate further, or contact staff.

I may not visit one of these areas for weeks or months. The Wither farm I was using for example hasn't worked since we updated to 1.6 (in July?). I have been there a few times since then but anyone could have gutted the place during one of those intervals and that would just be too bad for me. If doubt if I told a moderator that something disappeared outside of the current week that they would tell me anything other than "tough luck".

Even if no one had the ability to hide, it is really hard to catch people. And when they are caught, you don't always get the items back. The best you can do is try to prevent the damage from happening in the first place which, for me, includes letting people know that I know they were there and what they are doing. I have surprised quite a few people by whispering them while I was map hid and they were not. The most common question I get asked is "Where are you and how do you see me?". Not always questions someone asks if they are innocent, and I think I have changed their plans sometimes by letting them know that they were being watched.

There are enough pros to this that I'm not going to argue against it. I haven't been very happy with the way things were anyway so I see no reason object to a change which has the chance to improve things for many of us. The people who are most likely to grief aren't likely to understand that we even have the ability to hide unless it gets advertised a lot. The people who this will really benefit are the ones who have been the targets of these problems, as well as allowing them to participate in things they were excluded from before.

The best way to deal with grief in my opinion is to Lock up what you can and be vigilant. This doesn't change things that much. Soon, I hope, we will have new features that will make this obsolete anyway.
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx and 607 like this.
  3. It's very cool that I can /hide when I want to visit builds. I have been rejected from several projects due to not having a supporter status. I don't blame them, I have seen far too many things destroyed for no good reason.

Thanks for the extra feature when I need it.

I don't plan to hide unless I have a really good reason, because I often look around to see where people are playing in the wild to make friends and join in. I hope many players will opt not to hide for the majority of time.

There are no shortage of extra perks that could be offered to supporters. This might have sat better if a new perk had been announced at the same time. Please be patient, membership has it's perks and will continue to do so.
  4. Is there anything that needs to be done to initialize the arrows to despawn? They are not despawning on smp2. (Not sure about other servers)

Edit: these are the arrows you can't pick up - the ones like stuck in blocks forever that players shoot.
  5. I mined the blocks they were in a few blocks down then covered them with a block. Even if they don't despawn, your pc won't have to render them.
  6. I would - but half are on town road
  7. Oh. I was thinking Skeleton type arrows like at a grinder.