Mandatory MC Account Migration

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by triphora, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Update, I’ve realized I have alts, so I no longer like this idea ;-;
    TomvanWijnen and wafflecoffee like this.
  2. Wait, what?
    I can't log in, nor can I migrate so I can log in again?

Edit: Ah, I can. I just click "Mojang login". Whatever.
  3. I still await the migration. Shame it cannot get here soon enough!
  4. Question...

Like I had my minecraft accounts and they shifted to mojang accounts. Now we have to change them again to microsoft accounts?
    FadedMartian likes this.
  5. Yes.
  6. The original deadline has passed, and we still aren't able to migrate... I wonder what's been going on behind the scenes?
  7. What deadline? It was never planned for existing accounts to migrate in 2020.

But overall to the tone of the thread - everyone, this is a good thing...

The process to migrate your account will be super simple. You do not need to create live.com emails. What ever email you use for Minecraft today, you can use it still for a microsoft.com account (MS doesn't require live emails)

Migrating this is better for your security as this now consolidates your private information into Microsoft's most secure authentication database/infrastructure. Mojang DB is not as secure as MS, and it makes zero sense to duplicate all security efforts across multiple products, vs consolidation.

Everything about what they are doing is the right thing to do. The only questionable part I have over it is the "time limit" on migration to the point you could lose account, I hope they keep it around for at least a few years for those Minecraft (pre mojang) accounts.

As for "setting up xbox profile", ignore the fact it says Xbox. Xbox is just Microsoft's gaming ecosystem now, and is no longer tied to just the console. There is PC gaming for Xbox now too.

This username selection will ultimately mean nothing to do you if you don't play any other games as MC will not use it.

This will be a simple process that you do once then don't have to even remember anymore. It will be painless.

As for custom launchers, MultiMC and such will add support once they have the information on how to know migration is ready.

But im sure youll overall know when migrations start, we will probably call it out and such, then you can just check default launcher for it.
  8. Huh, it seems that you're right.
    Thanks for sharing your view on the matter. Do you not regret having to use your e-mail address to log into Minecraft?
  9. This is my personal biggest "issue" - I know someone who has two accounts with emails he doesn't have access to anymore, so I'm worried he'll lose access to those accounts.

Anyways, thanks for this post! Very informative. :)
    FadedMartian likes this.
  10. That's unfortunate, but that's his issue, and has nothing on Mojang or Microsoft, in my opinion. :p
  11. Well, them changing it from something that's working does mean that it's them who caused the issue. :p
    FadedMartian likes this.
  12. I'm in the same boat. I have one account with an email that can no longer be accessed as well.
  13. Huh,
    Does mojang not allow an email address to be updated? If not I would try contacting them... especially if you can log into the account.
  14. The email no longer exists. It's a school email and they switched to a new email system.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  15. Aw man... I had this same issue with one of my no longer accessible MC accounts. It was through my highschool email and once I graduated I no longer had access to the email. I learned my lesson that time around :/
  16. Well now I'm a bit concerned for my accounts, g r e at. I believe the change/switch is a good thing, yes, but I am also in the boat of email troubles. Both of my accounts were made when I was younger and didn't have an email, meaning both of my accounts are not technically under my name but my family. My alt is under my mothers email, so I can just tell her about it, but this account, my main, is not. This is under my grandfathers email that I don't even know if he uses or has access to anymore since it is a hotmail email and I've never even heard of that or seen anyone else use it, haaa :confused: I wasn't even aware that this change was happening until stumbling across this thread now.
  17. I disagree. It is your responsibility to have access to any email addresses you need access to. The account could have been blocked at any point for security reasons, too.
    I see that more people have this issue though, and I am sorry for you all. :(
    Raaynn likes this.
  18. i am curious if usernames of the people who dont migrate to Microsoft accounts before the eventual migration deadline will be made available again... that would be awesome!
  19. A migration deadline? That would be stupid, in my opinion. :p Can you imagine taking a break from EMC and Minecraft in general for five years and come back to find your account, including name and belongings on EMC gone, while EMC and Minecraft are still going?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  20. They have made it abundantly clear that there will be a deadline to migrate and the community spoke about this earlier in this thread