Major Update "Hope Nothing Broke" - 6/17/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jun 17, 2015.

1. That deathlog is such an asset. it's essentially a giant waypoint back to the original location. Voxelmap was the closest I've seen to it. Not identical to it ofc but EMC made it its own. :)
  2. It could've been a clientside bug, but MrSocks was not showing up under the staff heading when he was on smp2 earlier. /staff showed him listed as being on 2, but /who smp2 when not on that specific server did not show him under the staff section. It did show up when I swapped to smp2 but vanished again after leaving for another server.

If I can figure out where my screencaps are saved on Ubuntu I'll post pics.
  3. I think this may be a bug, I just logged on, and i am in the wild, and i have been for a while, yet it says i just left a res.
  4. Yeah, we are aware of this. Aikar has a fix, pending a deploy to the servers :)
    607 and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  5. And it has done it on all my alts in the frontier,

6. lol, okay, just thought you should know if u did not, :)
    607 likes this.
  7. Hmm, not actually broke, just forced 5 in Town.
  8. And that's for the Mob Arena, I'm guessing?
  9. The fly flag seems to not register that it's been disabled.
  10. I found a bug under a rock.You can't do /pay then player name any more... well it wont let me at least.
  11. Pretty awesome update, I definitely got something to look forward to later this evening for experimenting and tinkering (never underestimate what you can learn from a system by just messing around with it).

However, I do have one small comment / concern:

I do realize the need here, but wasn't the container flag requirement already in place for using ('opening') and removing these blocks? I strictly recall testing this with another player who was trying to show me how this could be abused for stealing, but eventually they got thwarted by the container flag. Because they could set the system into motion, but couldn't access their spoils. (edit): Ironic detail, the player in question got banned in the mean time, so I'd like to believe they were really up to no good.

The reason I ask should be obvious: for players who care about security this could pose a problem when getting someone to help you build a (larger) redstone contraption. Because the only required flags used to be build and optionally redstone (and use). Sure, things get different when it came to testing the whole thing (or removing an accidentally placed block), but that moment was usually supervised.

And well, the build flag is one thing but the container flag is in a whole different league. So, no offense, but to some extend I'd argue that this change could make things less secure for some players.

Thing is; I've been there as a builder. And I can tell you that there are 2 scenarios: First, and most common, people slip you an admin flag to do your thing. Optionally removing it when you're done but I usually did that myself, most of the time anyway. For these players this change is pretty much meaningless.

But the ones who did care only gave me build, redstone and use. Optionally even commenting that this wasn't an issue of not trusting me but... Heck, this is the way it should be. Of course it did give a small problem when I had to remove or check a hopper, but that happened so few that it can be ignored.

Now this basically means that they'll need to give me a container flag for the whole time I'm busy. And some of these builds honestly take up to 2 to 3 hours. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to supervise for so long.

So in the end this change requires players to put a whole lot more trust into other players. And quite honestly - as a redstone builder - I don't feel very comfortable with that. Worse; I can also see how this could be easily abused. With enough stalling and getting players "out of time" you could now end up on a residence with build, redstone and the container flag. A much better recipe for disaster than build and redstone were.

No offense intended here, but I honestly think this change has some serious potential for more abuse than before.
    607 likes this.
  12. What does this mean?
    Thanks
  13. It means we saved 111 code changes with descriptions for each.
    Essentially each time we save a change, is a commit. Not directly related to the number of lines of code changed though. So one commit could range from 1 to over 9000 lines of code changed
    cadgamer101 and 607 like this.
    • container:
      • chest
      • beacon
      • hopper
    All the person needs to do is "container:hopper", or others and that's all you need to be done. Their chests don't need to be worried about because you can only touch hoppers. Although then here comes the fact that you'll need dispenser/dropper (I also have a question with this, are there flags for them or were they forgotten to be placed under the container subflags?), depending on what type of redstone you're doing. Either way, it's just as dangerous when having build flag (if anything less so, not all builds require these container blocks). Unless the Developers can cook up something that can detect what player has placed that hopper and check to see if they have container:chest, if they do then it'll work. If they don't, then it'll just prevent the hopper from stealing items by sending a sort of false "redstone powered" tick to it, kinda like with locked chest in the Frontier.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  14. Well, I totally overlooked the subflag feature. And obviously I can't comment yet on its usage since I haven't been in the game yet (almost done, need to do some shopping and then...).

However, I still think that there are advantages to be found when there's no requirement for the container flag at all. Having said that, and I forgot that in my previous message, I only base my comment on the "hopper exploit" which is known to me. If there are more besides the one mentioned then this becomes a different argument of course.
    607 likes this.
  15. Without those flags, people can empty your chests with just build flag. I'm not going to go into details, just know its possible is why it was added.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. So yes! I can finally remove someone from buying from the store without taking off their move! +10000
  17. Yes /deathlog! now I can find where I died!
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  18. I'm not sure this is the right place for this but my hopper cart no longer pulls from brewing stands as it travels underneath them. This is quite infuriating as it means my brewing machine no longer works
  19. You might of went over enity count. Plus you should go to server problems
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/server-problems-post-here.44592/