Looking for earbuds

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Sep 1, 2021.

1. I would gladly hear more people's recommendations or opinions. :)

I tried my sister's earbuds today, which are not in-ear canal, but they don't have cushions/pillows either. I found the sound acceptable, but I didn't find them comfortable.
  2. I think you need to specify how and where you are going to use your headphones.
    Is it only for when you are on your computer? Do you need a microphone/headset?
    Are you planning to use them together with your mobile? Game consoles?
    What are your headphone jacks on the computer/mobile/console?
    Do you want to listen to hifi music on them?
    Have you tried over/on-ear headphones?
    Do you prefer closed/open headphones?
    Noise-cancellation?
    Bluetooth compatibility? BT version?
    Are you gonna use them while jogging/cycling/gym?

Myself, I have a plethora of headphones but they are all used for a specific function.
    I think it's almost impossible to find a pair of headphones that will suit all scenarios.

For example right now I use in-ear BT buds for when I'm out and about or when I'm using my mobile.
    For jogging/activities I use a pair of wired open on-ear headphones, for a better fit.
    I use over-ear closed BT headphones if I'm watching a movie/TV and don't want to disturb anyone, connected via BT to the surround-system.
    For gaming/computer stuff I use wired semi-open over-ear headphones with microphone and USB-connection.
    When reading and listening to music on the my big rig I use open over-ear headphones.
    607 likes this.
  3. Thanks for the post, it looks like you put some time and effort into this. :)
    I use my earbuds to watch videos, listen to people in web calls, listen to music, game without other people hearing the audio, listen to audio for mixing purposes, listen to podcasts, and maybe more. So yeah, I do have a pair of earbuds that suits all scenarios... I wonder why that should be hard? I guess some people will prefer heavy bass for gaming, but I prefer what Joy calls 'flat response' for all purposes.
    Oh, I do not regularly use earbuds outside, that is maybe an important one to know! I do use them around the house or on the road. When I'm in a train I will not hear a lot through the earbuds because the air conditioning is so loud, so I suppose one might argue that it would be better to have earbuds that block some outside noise for such a case. I am fine without, though, and it seems easier to find one good pair of earbuds than to find two. ;)
  4. I went to the electronics store and bought earbuds. The ones with the weird tips, of course, as they don't sell others anymore. However, I can't find clear instructions anywhere how to put them in my ear! I guess it differs from person to person? Four sizes of tips came with it, and none got anywhere close to fitting. Any tips? :(
  5. I use AirPods Pros (bad name) and I need a replacement for them because the active noise cancellation and transparency modes stopped working.
  6. I just noticed the unintended double use of 'tips'. :p
  7. My sister helped me trying the in-ear earbuds, and I got the default one to stay in my ear, but I didn't hear bass and my outside hearing was uninhibited, which I think it shouldn't be. So I guess these don't work at all for me? :( Or should I order more types of tips?
  8. I got Comply Foam tips, recommended to me by Sennheiser. I got the medium size. I still don't know how to get them in my ear. Maybe they are the wrong size, or indeed I can't use in-ear earphones at all, or maybe I'm just incompetent. In any case I feel terrible about myself now.
  9. I managed to get them in enough to make them sound close to how good my regular earbuds sound. However, I wasn't able to understand my sister while listening to music, which was annoying. Also, my voice sounds strange when I'm speaking with them in, which I don't appreciate. And my ears feel weird now, after wearing them.
    I think I might ask on Reddit if there's really no alternative... maybe there's a subreddit where people have tips on wearing earbuds.
    UltiPig likes this.
  10. As somewhat of a last resort, I decided to look for Sennheiser MX365 on eBay. It's not on there anymore either.
  11. I use wired AKG earbuds with a rubber piece on them. Sound quality is phenomenal and very clear
  12. These are in ear canal?
  13. I saw someone posted a link to a dankpods video but didn't really do one that might be more to what you want:

He mentions the KZ Pro X earbuds in the video and I got some a while back on amazon for like $20 and they are quite nice. They look nice, they sound nice and they aren't that expensive. I would check them out if I were you they are so cheap they are worth buying just to try.
    607 likes this.
  14. Thanks, but sorry, I am not considering trying more in-ear monitors. The ones I got now are supposed to be good, and I got very expensive tips for them, but I still can't get them to fit (I find it very unlikely that these KZ Pro X would fit), and I find them uncomfortable and inconvenient to use too.
  15. Ooh, seems like a fascinating thread. My dad is a bit of a hobbyist when it comes to sound quality, headphones, speakers, etc. so i've become somewhat of an enthusiast myself lol

AirPod Pro is a phenomenal in-ear earbud, they have the "rubber thingies" like you were talking about, that go into the ear canal. Personally, I have the AirPod's (original) and they work so amazingly well. They also work with any device that can hook up to Bluetooth... I saw you ask that question a while back and I don't think it got answered. So might be something to look into, if you are still searching for some good in-ear sound gear.

*sidenote* my only complaint with the AirPod (not pro) is that after wearing them for a semi-excessive amount of time over the last few months, the inside of my ears are starting to get a bit sensitive, and even small sores are developing. The AirPod Pros would fix this problem though, because of the rubber padding. Kinda wish I got those instead now haha

Also, Sennheiser is a remarkable company. I've seen several people recommend it on this thread, and they really are amazing. I have the PXC II headphones, and I love them dearly haha. (sound cancelling on those things are next level as well)

Both the Airpods and Sennheiser headphones are bluetooth (a cord can be hooked up to the PXC for a Bluetoothless option) but in my opinion, the audio quality is just as spectacular as top of the line wired earbuds/headphones.

So yeah, anyway, that's a couple of the earbud/headphone devices I own and love.
  16. I do find it remarkable that Bluetooth solutions are so popular. It seems to me that the only advantage is not getting the cable stuck on anything. The disadvantages include having to charge them, having to go through the trouble of connecting them properly, including them sometimes inadvertently connecting to the wrong device, the headphones only being usable with Bluetooth compatible devices, and a comparatively very high latency.
  17. Not having a cable is quite a big advantage, in my opinion. If I'm travelling to school, I wouldn't want a wire going from my ears to my phone (which might be in my pocket, which wouldn't really work with a wire, because it'd just break off after 5 minutes). Even at home, just being able to move freely is great.

I only have mine connected to my phone and my laptop, and the bluetooth on my laptop is always turned off (on purpose), so I can just turn them on, and they'll connect within a second. Works flawlessly almost always. If I need to connect them to my laptop (which I don't do often), I can just turn off bluetooth on my phone before I turn in on, so it'll connect to my laptop instead.

The latency is not noticeable to me. I sometimes use them for voice chatting, which goes very smooth and feels natural (to me).

All in all, I'm really happy. :)
    607 likes this.