let's talk about skyrim!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by batmegh, Nov 16, 2014.

1. If I was to try and get back into Skyrim, could anybody suggest some sort of direction to take (I have all the DLC, btw)?
    Kephras and battmeghs like this.
  2. I'm definitely going to stay a bachelor. :D
    Kephras likes this.
  3. Has anyone made a mage? Got any advice?
  4. I can't so much suggest a 'direction' as a style of play. First off, get Alternate Start and begin with something other than the Helgen massacre. Then give your character a ... quirk, or two. Maybe they hate daylight and only explore at night. Or have a penchant for leaving Deathbells on the bodies of their enemies. Maybe they're a devoted alchemist and only go adventuring to secure rare ingredients? Stuff like that.
    It's not always easy to stick to that kind of play, but it'll make your game a lot more interesting.

My girlfriend loves illusion magic. Apparently her greatest joy is throwing "Fury" at everyone and making them go bonkers killing each other. As I mentioned previously though, I never get tired of the "Magelight / Fire Rune" combo. I've never tried running as a 'pure' mage though, since I like sneaking / archery sniper attacks too much. Not much help there I'm afraid.
    607, battmeghs and HylianNinja like this.
  5. i want you to explain to me why this is a ton better to start the game than what the game intends? i like the idea, but i'm not sure about it yet. sell it to me kitteh!
    607 likes this.
  6. "Even though his body could fight no longer, his ax would not give up so easily." 2014-12-01_00003.jpg
    PenguinDJ, 607, Kephras and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mainly because it gives you the freedom to decide what your character is doing in the game without being forced into a single predefined role. What if you wanted to be an Imperial agent? Would an Imperial army arrest you and summarily execute you just for being in Ulfric's vicinity? Maybe you're a Nord who's always lived in Windhelm and just finally decided to do something beyond getting tanked on mead all day.
    It opens up a world of possibility to decide who you are, without trying to rationalize starting out as a prisoner with your head on the block. You can even completely skip the main quest for as long as you want - I think maybe I mentioned it before, but in my head canon Ralof is the actual Dragonborn. Ra'Shirr and the others only use one or two Shouts at the most and rely on their skillsets to do what they do.
    battmeghs likes this.
  8. so its really just a preference to not start as a prisoner? it doesn't really change anything for you at all throughout the game play?
    i used to have the skip intro thing installed, and it jarred a bunch of crap when helgen was concerned.. i have been playing without it recently because if you started the game with that and it skipped it all it just kind of messed up helgen and who was in it and what was going on. lol
  9. The mod I use at least, "Alternate Start," does not 'skip' or mess up Helgen. You begin wherever you want (more or less) and can do what you please, but it still has a quest sequence in place that can lead you to Helgen's ruins, find/help either Ralof or Hadvar (they're in that final cave with the bear, right before the exit), and from that point on the main quest continues without issue. You still go to Riverwood, get sent to Whiterun to warn about the dragon, and so on.
    You may run into a couple of small goofs, like Whiterun's gate being locked, but console'ing it open doesn't break anything.

EDIT: Since you can start as a homeowner in some of the cities, it can change your game's progression a bit, but the point I'm getting at is, Alternate Start gives you more freedom and flexibility to be who you want to be, rather than what Bethesda decides - and does so in a way that feels natural.
  10. like on the skip intro part, it puts a bunch of stormcloak and imperials in helgen, just patrolling.. along with two thalmor elves standing there, one is injured and laying on the ground.. just a bunch of weird things that don't make sense.
  11. just downloaded that and i am using it, and i am highly impressed. that is amazing. i will be using this from now on xD
    607 and Kephras like this.
  12. Hmm, a quirk would definitely add interest... and I already use the alternate start mod, so that's already taken care of, at least.
    607 and Kephras like this.
  13. i'm trying each start that interests me just to see which i like the most xD
  14. I've decided that a mage is way more fun than an archer. Aethres is who I'm going to focus on. He enjoys reading and smiting down wolf-kind.
    2014-12-01_00005.jpg
    Kephras likes this.
  15. I am a fan of Skyrim, but unfortunately have it and all 3 DLC's for the Playstation 3 instead of the PC. I loved the game, but after I beat it and restarted I never really could get back into it. Should I get it for the PC or just play on the PS3?
  16. .............. extremely sick after trying to get out of that ship.. found an abandoned one and went through it. now i need a break. wow. sick to my stomach now. xD (not good for easily nauseous people)
  17. Would probably say pc is better due to easy controls and features such as the mods.
    Random Question not about Skyrim Also are you back on emc for a while penguindj?
  18. The Alternate start mod didn't work for me, for whatever reason the game would be stuck on the title screen if I chose new game while the mod was loaded. Besides, there's nothing wrong with the intro bethesda intended, so what's the big deal?
  19. I somehow got bored twenty minutes into my new play-through and gave up. How resilient. I think Skyrim is too big for me that I get distracted in mere seconds... oh well, back to something else. At least I found pretty trees.
    Kephras and HylianNinja like this.
  20. My game is so glitchy. Maybe it's my PS3 or the game itself, but whenever I go to Whiterun, Farkas or Vilkas tries to talk to me. It's only them so far, but it's really annoying, because the conversation just starts, pauses me, and happens again. They also follow me, which allows me to not fast travel because "you cannot fast travel when guards are pursuing you" or something.