Increased view distance for supporter

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by DoublBlaDeZ, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Seeing further is better, but this can slow down the game.

Maybe for supporters only?
    Faithcaster likes this.
  2. The render distance on EMC is set to 6 or 7 (cant remember) to help reduce lag. Having a far render distance means the server has to load more chunks.

So, -1
    607, ShelLuser and LBoss9001 like this.
  3. Would be nice to see that extra 6th chunk away. It makes for a nice cosmetic improvement.

I think it could be done without causing lag issues for everyone, since we all agree lag is a bad thing. :)
  4. Current distance is 5 chunks in town and 6 in the wilderness. According to the wiki that is but... Hate to say this but it wouldn't be the first time when the wiki turned out to be outdated.

Thing is: I asked about this earlier this year to which Aikar responded that nothing had really changed in the past months, and during the last change the view distance went up and not down.

The view distance seems around 7 - 8 chunks in town (not too sure about this part). I have 2 residences next to each other which also have beacons on them, this pre-dates the time where effects didn't cross the road (also see that link above).

So... I build an on/off switch using redstone. The master switch is on my main res. and it turns all 9 beacons on/off. 3 on my main residence and 6 on my 2nd residence (which is actually my 4th but.. :D).

When I hit that switch all beacons turn on/off. In other words: both residences (120 blocks) are fully loaded. 124 (4 blocks for the road) / 16 = 7,75. Thats 2 chunks more than the wiki tells us :confused:

But to respond to the actual suggestion... I think the current view distance is fine as it is.
    607 likes this.
  5. -1

Also if you have your render distance further, you will be able to see far if you walk away... if that helps
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  6. The render distance cap doesn't affect what you can see to my knowledge (if your render distance is 16 you can see 16 chunks), just if what you can see is loaded in.

607 likes this.
  7. I Guess a -1 from me, I do argee with you That it would be nice, but I don't think it Will help enough to compeat with the extra lag it all gives

Redstone automaticly loads chunks shelly, That way you can still load massieve contraptions with smaller render distance, you can even use redstone to permaload chunks (It isn't allowed though) That way you can let farms run even though you're not even near (I did this in singleplayer) you arean't able to see those chunks though, they're there just for doing calculaties, wich makes it all a little faster and more lag-friendly...
    607 likes this.
  8. Not on the Empire, as can be seen by my post which I linked.

The effect was usually different. Only 6 beacons would turn on or off, so except the 3 at the edge of my residence. When you looked into that you could see that the redstone signal would continue up to a certain point and then got cut off. B00m. Which was always a very bizarre sight because you literally saw an active redstone current suddenly stop for no apparent reason, it even persisted when the chunk got loaded again.
    Jelle68 and 607 like this.
  9. -1 from me, the reasons have already been stated above :p
  10. Sorry to say I think this is incorrect. The distance limits what the server will send you regardless of what is actually loaded.

I took some measurements by walking around and clearing my local cache. (hold F3 and press A)
    From what I've measured:
    * Town - four more chunks in every direction (9x9 box with you in the center)
    * Frontier - five more chunks in every direction (11x11 box with you in the center)
    Don't know if that means the wiki is right or wrong, maybe depends on if the center is counted as #0 or #1.

#

If seeing chunks means that they become redstone active, this would allow for larger redstone devices for supporters. (That's a plus or is it a minus?) By the way, concerns about the redstone causing lag might actually be a moot point since we already disable lag-causing redstone devices.

Might be other sources of potential lag. Bandwidth? Chunk loading speed? Maybe there is some data on it already. If there was no lag would anyone still vote -1?
    607 likes this.
  11. I think you misinterpreted what I said, you can still see the area *client-side* but it's not actually there.
  12. I think it could be an issue EULA related. That is to alter the game on the most basic level based on who has donated money. Gotta say -1.
  13. every level of view distance exponentially increases server load, we really just can not afford that much load especially in town.

Plus, the feature that would allow us to even do this is currently broken upstream.
    607 and God_Of_Gods like this.
  14. -

Redstone dust and light updates are HUGE universal performance hinders/lag-causers -- for both the client and server sides.

A single redstone wire changing signal strength creates over 20 block updates per increment/decrement. The lag is at its worst when dust drops from level 15 to 0.
    Credits go to the SciCraft group and Panda4994 for figuring this out.:cool:

-

Light updates are infamous and notorious for causing lag in "Minecraft". The engine is extremely inefficient. Most people that talk about the code have said it's very difficult to refine.

-

Given the knowledge stated, don't overuse redstone wires for clocks or any other circuits that activate frequently. Illuminate redstone torches to light level 8+ with permanent light sources to prevent light updates.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  15. More specifically, it is very difficult to refine without breaking some existing redstone mechanic. As some of the mechanics of redstone were not explicitly intended, but have been kept around as a consequence of backwards compatibility.
    607 and ForeverMaster like this.