[IMPORTANT] Empire Update: Silence Of The Lambs!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by IcecreamCow, Sep 6, 2012.

1. the most I have seen is no more than 8-10 of them unless I am out in the open then that number can increase pretty fast..makes trying to mine a fortress a little annoying and slow going at times...:confused:

On a side note, I just thought of something that I am not 100% sure of. When you chop a tree do the leaves become entities after all the logs are gone and they begin to decay? If so this has the potential to really make a person's res reach its limit real fast.
  2. Ok I just got to the open and now I am surrounded by about 25-30 ghasts...can't get a screenshot as they keep firing at me and I am not crazy enough to stand out there and try to get a screen for ya....:eek:
  3. No, Monsters do not spawn on ALL half slabs, only ones that are a "top half" where the ground is completed to a normal level.

Bottom half slabs that have you standing at a .5 Y level still will not spawn slabs.
    jaqiefox likes this.
  4. Just another +1 for this announcement and the work that was put into it. I don't think it has any unreasonable impositions, and any inconveniences can be gotten around. I'll probably have a "hobby" farm on my res and a more elaborate farm in the wild. :)

Also, I sometimes use a mob grinder, and there were a couple times I accidentally afk'ed for longer than I meant to and had more mobs waiting for me than I intended. I always felt bad, but now at least there are some measures in place so it doesn't become annoying to everyone else on the server.
  5. I was thinking about the code on way home today from work... The logic isnt working exactly as I intended so I will have to do more work..
  6. I'm crazy enough:

2012-09-07_21.55.49.png 2012-09-07_21.56.54.png

There's maybe twenty more on the other side of the wall to the right and I peeked over the ledge and there are a bunch more below it.

I used up stacks of arrows on these guys last night and tonight. Yesterday I spent about three hours repairing a grinder. Today's better but again I have more repairs I have to make. They seem to be able to see me through walls and keep blasting away at me through them. Everywhere there was netherrack was demolished.

It's been quite an adventure, but I wish I had been warned so I could have walled in this grinder better. I've just finished it and hadn't had a chance to cover it yet.
  7. ya I have been seeing this also in the last hour or so...it is nuts. i am trying to work on this fortress and can't for all the ghasts that are showing up right on top of me. There little wails are starting to drive me crazy as well, but that is another story. It wouldn't be so bad if more pigmen and magma cubes spawned, but it seems the ghasts are taking over the nether..:eek:
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  8. ...

Ok...

... I was about to work on Residence, but I just switched back to master branch and will be working on improving this...
  9. I appreciate all the staff's effort to bring down lag as much as possible. A lot of players I know have problems with lag and they are happy about what you are doing. A lot of players with no-lag are annoyed with these new features to bring down lag, but it is for the good of the community. :)
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  10. You rock Aikar. :D If ya need any testers let me know and I will be more than happy to be a test dummy..
  11. im just gonna go over zealous this time and really pwn ghast. worse case scenario is its less than vanilla... but im sure you guys wont mind that much. however ghast will respawn very quickly if killed so no worries of not being able to farm them.
  12. couple of things:

1) squid are definitely spawning in town on Utopia, but not smp9.... and they are spawning quite heavily
    2) will lava count towards this whole entcount thing or whatever? i'm talking about lava on a person's res. like i have a huge cube of running lava and water on my res, i want to ensure this doesn't mess anything up.
  13. Also... Let me explain in a technical detail why we changed natural spawn mechanics:

Default minecraft behavior is to have about 70 monsters per player. The logic is to keep spawning until the server hits the mob cap, and its designed to stay at the mob cap.

It spreads out spawns up to 8 chunks away from a player... Thats alot of monsters never even encountered by the player!

The basic premise is, keep the server at cap. Now, throw in spawners!

These force the server to go OVER the cap... This results in breaking natural spawns in the wild. This has been a very common problem for our users.

So our solution:
    Raise the mob cap to be 200 per player so it never hits the cap. Reduce spawn range to 4 chunks instead of 8 so not wasted.

Problem: MC Default behavior is to keep spawning until the cap is hit! This is a HUGE problem!
    With just 2 people online after raising the cap to 300 (for initial testing), we had 600 monsters spawned... This would of been backwards in goals for reducing entities and a massive nightmare for anyone in the wild.

We remedied this by putting in code that controls the density of mob spawns, analyzing the local area around the spawn point to calculate density and abort spawn if enough monsters are already spawned. It took a while but I tweaked it to balance around 100 mobs max for natural. Players still have the option to go to 200 with grinders... but were not going to fill up the cap off of naturals.

Now, we did this by sampling area around spawn location and count how many other monsters are around. Well the problem for ghast is... nothing except for a ghast can be in the air!

Ghast use to be controlled by simply keeping the server at cap. Now the servers never at cap, its constantly spamming attempting to spawn them. Same thing for slimes, slimes were slow before cause the game is designed to keep it at cap. If a slime was chosen to spawn during cap, no slime!

Now, since were never at cap, every time a slime is chosen to spawn, itll spawn as long as theres not too many slimes already.

but, monsters moving themselves throws this off. Ghast flying around gives potential to keep spawning more in an area.

I'm going to solve this by making Ghasts "Cluster Box" 3x the size, give it a 75% chance of aborting the spawn (its currently 66% chance to abort spawn and were being overloaded), and increase (the currently broken concept cause of an overlooked detail) the minimum ghast spawn interval for an area to be 10 seconds (currently 3 seconds but the logic on it is broken logic that isnt working as I intended)

Will roll this out tonight hopefully.
    jaqiefox, mba2012 and Pab10S like this.
  14. We switched to Spigot last night which doesnt behave the same way in disabling monster spawns in town...

However the bug with pistons/furnaces is not handled gracefully with Spigot as CB++ does, so it actually spam crashed SMP9 this morning, so smp9 has been reverted back to CB++. All servers will be back on CB++ once I push the next update.

We are trying as hard as we can to figure out what in the world is causing the piston/furnace bug, but weve actually narrowed it down to not be fixable by updating Residence sadly... Bug appears to deal with corrupted entities in the town save files :/

Even w/o residence still happens. Residence updating is still a big priority as it could be CAUSING the corrupted Entity, but sadly just updating it is not going to make the problems go away.
    jaqiefox and mba2012 like this.
  15. Omg you got the allmighty cow to like youre comment
  16. Thanks for the information and the efforts you're putting into adjustments.

I've managed to kill a lot of Ghasts as they've come near and they don't seem so dense now. I'm wondering now if the ones I've been seeing tonight were residual from when they were mobbing me last night.

Don't turn down the heat too much. Although it's been a little frustrating, I've actually enjoyed the challenge.
  17. gonna try, but dont want to spend too much more time at this moment on it more than needed. I was planning to knock some more out on residence... but not able to get to that yet :(
    Pab10S likes this.
  18. That is a lot of ghasts! And I am having trouble getting to the LLO without blowing up someones hidden base with a creeper. They are everywhere.
  19. mba2012 likes this.