How many alts do you have?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fighter_Ethan, Apr 12, 2021.

?

Pie?

Forge 2 vote(s) 16.7%
Onion 10 vote(s) 83.3%
  1. The other night, wafflecoffee and many others were discussing how many alts everyone has. Please comment below with the amount of alts you have!
    607, CarFryer, Big__Kev and 1 other person like this.
  2. I personally have 2 alts.
  3. I personally have 10 accounts, I won't count my friend as a alt but yeah, I own south west corner of smp6
    607, Slvr and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  4. Since the last thread on the topic, I have gone from 3 alts (not including my main) to 4, plus one account that's a family member's (but practically mine; they never use it). :p
    607 and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  5. 0.

I don’t own the account linked to my EMC account anymore and my main account is banned. The account I’m posting on used to be my only alt but not anymore and I don’t really have a reason to have one, I vastly prefer single player :p
    607 likes this.
  6. 0

or am I lying? haha jk sike, it's truly 0....or is it
  7. I only have 1 alt of my own, but I have 3 others that I have access to.
  8. i have 10 alts plus this account.. so a little crazy but ya!
    607 likes this.
  9. I lost count..
  10. 5 accounts
  11. My main, then 5 others.
  12. 9 alts

Hello friend :)
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  13. I don't have any alts.
    CarFryer and wafflecoffee like this.
  14. True, you don't.
  15. None at all
  16. I don't have any, I don't plan to have any, and please allow me to make a small case for not having them.

As a new player on the server, there is a lot to take in, from how the servers works, the res approach, the outposts, frontier vs wild, and finally the player economy.
    At first is not that bad, but I started noticing the bids in the auctions that for certain items easily surpass 1m rupees.
    Now, if it would only be a matter of me being "late to the party" I would not pay too much attention to it, but when I realize that some people "own a quarter of a town" I sincerely consider leaving (now, I won't leave because my SO wants to play here with some friends that appreciate the safety that the town offers, but still).
    When I realize that some people might have 10+ copies of now otherwise unobtainable items and that get 10x the rupees I'll ever get per day I start feeling like not participating in the player economy at all, the field is not even and it won't ever be.

Sure, some of you have made fantastic builds over multiple residences that would have been otherwise (almost) impossible, and many of you have made fantastic things with public works and public farms, but coming from several years of experience across many many multiplayer games where having alts is as bad as cheating, seeing this nonchalance in approacing the subject of alts really puts me off.

I don't expect anyone to change their approach to alts based on what I said, but consider that I might not be the only one that is put off by this (and I refer particularly to a discussion I saw yesterday in chat about people complaining that the shops are not selling much. who's buying if every other player on the servers is an alt?)
    607 likes this.
  17. 1: that seems like a rather weird change of topic. This is mostly a joke thread, not meant to be taken all that seriously. :p

2: I think you hugely overestimate the value of an alt. Yes, most established players have a few, at least partially because they want more residences, but it isn’t at all necessary.
    Tomvanwijnen and I are among the most established players on this server (we share everything,) and everything we do and have could be fitted on less than the eight residences two accounts would allow us to have.
    We simply spread things out because we can: there is no shortage of residences, and, if there would be, more of them would be created.
    Additionally, Tom and I are probably in the top 5 of people with the most residences: we own 35. A lot, definitely, but also not at even close to a quarter of town. Some of them house community projects and some of them house builds that have no purpose other than being nice to look at.
    I think you’re comparing Minecraft too much to other games. I don’t think the comparison makes sense. Yes, Tom and I collectively own 8 accounts. No, I do not think this owning six more accounts than strictly necessary has changed too much in the way we got rich, or in the way we play on the server.

3, and this is the main reason I make this post, you hugely underestimate the average player’s ability to get on top of the economy. Yes, auctions of items that go for millions of rupees might seem daunting at first. People like me, who own more than a hundred million worth of promos, and have millions of items stored in absurdly large storage areas might seem like being in a place that is completely unachievable, but most players who try tend to get on top of the economy. You need to be patient, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and you need to actually pursue the economy as your main goal if that is what you want, but, when you do, you will be there in a few years.
    I joined this server on august of 2012, almost nine years ago now: Tom and I are some of the oldest still playing people on this server. I have seen many players rise to the top of the economy, I have seen many different faces over the years.

Tom and I run this thread called “Rare promos and where they’ve ended up,” it documents the ownership of most of the rarest items on EMC, items of which sometimes only 3 or 4 exist, items that were given out as early as 2013, and which are worth millions of rupees each. Of the 29 different items listed, you will find that Tom and I own 3.
    In these lists, you will find a lot of established and mostly older players. Mman, Roslyn and Faithcaster all first joined eight to ten years ago, but there are newer names as well. Jewel_king is one of the most listed names, and he first joined three and a half years later than Roslyn did. Someone like Raaynn, (who spends a lot of real-life money, and you should not compare yourself against,) joined even later than that, only five years ago. I remember when Raaynn started growing in his influence on the market, and started buying some of the more rare items. I remember having a conversation with Jay (Roslyn) about it over voice chat, that he would probably rise to become one of those really established players.
    Those items on that thread are obtainable, but you need to be patient in trying to get there. Most of them go for sale less than once a year, if even that, and, when they do, you need to be smart about it. Usually, you need to wait for an older player to leave and sell stuff, or you should try to get your hands on the rare items that are given out now in drop parties such as the PPPs, and then trade for the others.
    This also definitely isn’t something you should try to pursue when you have less hours since your first join than most older players have total play time. (You first joined 500 hours ago, I have 1600 hours playtime on this account on SMP1 since statistics were introduced.)

Realistically speaking, Tom and I are also both players who got wealthy by means you could achieve yourself: I made 25million rupees by doing creative building for people. I made the design, the customer would use schematic to place it in the world. I still earn roughly 100Kr a month this way. Yes, I am a professional Minecraft builder, connected to official Mojang build teams like SapphireStudeos, but I started out building on EMC, when I wasn’t at all as good as I am now. I also made roughly 10 million rupees in the past two years just by being smart with redstone, and selling items other people hadn’t managed to properly automate the production of yet. I’m a pretty good redstoner now, but I wasn’t at all when I started trying to do stuff like this.
    The only other way Tom and I got rich is by buying and selling promos, and trying to get as much profit as possible. This is the least achievable for a newer player (when you cannot just casually own two stacks of 2015 labour benches,) but, if you persist in trying to get rich, it will become an option eventually.

Having seen the paths other players take countless times now, you need roughly a year of playing (at a modest amount of hours/week) to get properly established (storage, some infrastructure, good connections, just a general backlog of items and/or rupees) and roughly a year to get properly started to really pursue the economy, if that is the playing style you wish for yourself. After that, your main income will be selling and buying items and promos. For none of this, you really need alts. All you really need is time and patience.

I ultimately haven’t perused classical piano, but I have recently been doing some teaching again, and you remind me a lot of some of my students.
    It is often advised for teachers to not play technically challenging pieces in front of students. It can work discouragingly. With the internet, however, many expose themselves to Rachmaninoff’s Piano concertos, Liszt’s Edudes and the more difficult Beethoven Sonatas.
    “It is impossible” they say “I can never learn that” they say “Those pianists are just talented, and I, someone with no talent, could never learn it,” they say, “I will never be as good as them,” they say.
    I won’t dispute that concert pianists have an absurd level of skill, but here’s the thing: When I started, I thought I could never learn a piece that sounded good, and full, and not simplified. Then I learned Joe Hisaishi’s One summer’s day, and had to challenge that presumption. Then, I thought I would never be good enough to play a piece that is a part of the repertoire classical pianists preform solo for audiences, and I learned Rachmaninoff’s Prelude in C# minor. After that, I thought I would never learn one of the famously difficult Rachmaninoff Etudes, and leanred Etude Op. 39 no. 5, Finally, I thought I would never learn a piece that is famous for its difficulty and is only really played as an encore piece by concert pianists, to show off, and I learned Prokofiev’s seventh piano sonata.
    You will get there. It just takes time. Be patient. :)
    Tuqueque, 607, CarFryer and 4 others like this.