GUIDE: How to earn lots of rupees FAST without being a supporter.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by Aikar, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Step 6

Spam the forums asking for money. I'm sure it will work eventually.
    Chopsiee, ToddV, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  2. Bad idea! You will make more for the ores:

For example:
    Player A mines 10 diamond ores. They use a fortune III pickaxe. On average, they get 22 diamonds. Current price I pay for those is 115r. So they make 2,530r.

Player B mines 10 diamond ores. They use a silk touch pickaxe, and sell them directly as ores. The current price I pay for the ores is 310r. They instead make 3,100r.

Player B earned 570r more than player A without doing any extra work. All they gave up was perhaps some XP. The main reason that diamond ores are worth more than the 2.2 diamonds of Fortune III is because of Ore Buster pickaxes which are Fortune V and give 3.14 diamonds. If you want to earn the most, don't break your diamond or lapis ores! Especially don't break emerald ores as those are even more valuable due to their rarity.

Fortune III is most useful on coal and redstone ore. This is because the Ore Buster is expensive and works out to about 30r/use, so it doesn't make sense to use an Ore Buster on lower value ores. The value of the additional redstone or coal would not cover the damage to the Ore Buster from the usage. Especially redstone, where each level of fortune only contributes on average half a dust.
  3. Heres another trick: sell something the price you would buy it! example: you wouldent wanna buy dirt at 300 rupees, would you, sell it at 1 r
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  4. Ooh. Pi diamonds. Sounds expensive, yet delicious.
    607, lottie1664, We3_Nub_ and 2 others like this.
  5. Not exactly pi lol. :p Just a similar number.
    607 and We3_Nub_ like this.
  6. Small rant, I'm bored :)

Aikar posted some very good suggestions and I concur: they work. Because of my MC past Silk Touch will always be a little special for me on multi player and yeah: those ore blocks can indeed make a nice income. And, I know I'm probably getting boring because I mention this more often, but even so: /vote. "A vote for 5 minutes a day will make your rupee problems soon go away". I'm not exaggerating: the amount of stuff you get when you get a streak is awesome. What's just as awesome are Aikars recent changes to the voting mechanism. If you lose a day of voting you don't have to worry about having to re-vote for a whole more week before you get back to the point on which you were (been there, done that, it's confirmed: it works).

But... Now, I may not make too many friends with this comment because everyone likes rupees, but seriously...

Why do you need more? What's so special about rupees instead of merely enjoying the game itself?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not boo'ing all the people who'd like to earn some extra rupees, most certainly not. But I do think that rupees do not make or break the game. To me rupees should not be a goal but a means to reach other goals. And yeah, I realize that this also implies that sometimes you need to have more to reach those goals, sure...

But the thing is; I cannot help notice that a lot of players out there care more for rupees than anything else. And to those I'd like to ask: If you have the amount of rupees you wanted, then what? Time to retire from EMC because you reached your goals?

All that time spend waiting near your farm to harvest mob drops could just as well be spent on adventuring in the wastelands. Or the Frontier: build your own Empire in the midst of the Minecraft world as it was intended: infested with spiders, zombies, creepers, skeletons and Notch knows what more.... It may sound boring to you, and I can respect that, but it's still the game we came to love and respect: Minecraft at its finest.

It's not as if you need rupees to teleport yourself to the wasteland or frontier, it's not as if you need 'm to "do" stuff on your residence, and yah...

Now, a small disclaimer: I realize like no other that there are plenty of times where you do need to get a little more to "do" stuff. Example? Well, if you want to enchant or brew stuff then I suppose you could try your luck in the wastelands to hunt down that obsidian or fight of the blazes (if you can find 'm in the first place) but it's so much easier to visit your friendly neighborhood shop and just buy the things you want.

But even so... Does that make the "old fashioned" way any less enjoyable?

Think about this for a moment: the harder you have to work to get something, the more rewarding it'll be if you finally manage to succeed. Taking a "shortcut" can make your life easier; but is it more enjoyable as well?

As always just my 2 cents :)

C'mon Mojang, get those DDoSSing Minecraft terrorists and throw 'm into a lava pool!
    PvP_Senpai, MCSaw, 607 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nice post Aikar
  8. If you use silk touch on quartz and/or glowstone in the nether, you can earn about 5000r in 15 minutes, which is a bit more than if you use fortune III. With fortune III, it would take 20 minutes to earn 5000r.
  9. +1
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  10. Magnificent
  11. I would add a couple other suggestions. Hunt specialized mobs to get rare drops and auction them. I bought a turkey slicer for 50k. I have spent about 12 hours hunting them now and have gotten 4 more. Based on this, 3hrs = 50k. Same thing with momentus and marlix. Sell their drops for huge money. Stone fragments even go for a lot.

Secondly, I know a lot of players have made their fortunes from buying low from one shop and selling high to another. You have to research what shops sell and buy for but when you find a difference that will profit you take advantage of it. One shop sells coal for 20r and another buys it for 30r. Buy from shop 1 and sell to shop 2. Many have made a lot doing this.
    We3_Nub_, TuckerAmbr and 607 like this.
  12. Be very careful with that because it's not always appreciated. Not by your fellow players and sometimes even staff will frown over such strategies (not always). The problem here is that there is a high possibility that you're exploiting a possible oversight from the shop owner to gain from it yourself.

First make sure that the shop you're buying from actually allows or appreciates bulk buying, not all shops do that. It's easy clicking that buy button if you don't have to restock yourself. Second; make sure that the shop owner realizes the situation he's in.

The problem here is that you're making easy money while some other people (both shop owners) are doing all the hard work. It's not illegal per definition, but it also doesn't show good sportsmanship either.

Personally I would strongly recommend against using this strategy unless you know that both shop owners don't really care about the whole thing.
    We3_Nub_ and Tahitan like this.
  13. How about selling items dropped from the custom minibosses, like shiny flesh (rotten flesh that has no negative effects).
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  14. I have a few more useful tips on how to earn rupees, but they do require you to have some first.

Promo pickaxes: The <Holiday pick> is worth 200-300k and has fortune IV (better on diamonds and quartz than silk touch) but it takes damage of about 5r/use, so please be careful not to use it on stone or coal.
    Ore busters are worth 600k+ and have Fortune V, but please do not use this on anything except quartz or diamonds. They take about 30r/use of damage so much else will not cover the damage done to the ore buster. Mineral mincers are good to mine obsidian with because they have Efficiency VIII, Unbreaking V, and Fortune III and Obsidian is worth about 40r per block, but the Mineral mincers going upward of 30k by now.

Villagers: Emeralds are low priced due to inflation, but they are always useful (and build an automatic sugarcane farm too or buy from cheap paper/cane malls) because enchants are in demand. You can sell enchanted tools/books and even add enchants to the already enchanted tools and earn a lot.
    They'll go for a lot on auction (and you don't even need a DC to auction enchants!). Click here to read more about auctionable items.

Resale of promo items: Buy promos from /shop once they are available and resell them in about a year because once they are not claimable anymore, they get harder and harder to come by, meaning a huge price rise over time. Or buy a promo already expensive and sell it 3-6 months.
    MCSaw, 607 and AlexChance like this.
  15. I'm terrible at maths and I can't quite figure out the formula for this. I know with unbreaking 3 it's a probability thing, rather than each hit = x, which goes beyond my (limited) capabilities
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  16. The calculation was wrong.

Holiday Pick is Unbreaking V meaning. (level+1) x 1500 uses = 6 x 1500 = 9000 uses.
    Price per use:
    200k/9k = 22.23 r per use
    300k/9k = 33.34 r per use

Ore Buster is Unbreaking III meaning. (level+1) x 1500 uses = 4 x 1500 = 6000 uses.
    Price per use:
    600k/6k = 100 r per use
    cadgamer101, AlexChance and We3_Nub_ like this.
  17. Those are just averages, and I honestly thought ore busters were 30r/use because of this:

...so maybe it was outdated. :confused: Sorry for any confusion! :oops:
  18. Ore busters generally go around 600k now. They have 6248 uses. That's 92.03r/use. Ore busters are fortune 5, so you get 3.143 diamonds on average.

As an alternative, you could use a fortune 3 pickaxe. With unbreaking 3, those run around 3k. That's 0.48r/use. With fortune 3 you get 2.2 diamonds on average.

Every time you use one on average, you spend the difference of 91.55r and it gains you 0.943 diamonds.
    607 and We3_Nub_ like this.
  19. I'll tell you a survival / money secret.

1. Get OreBuster
    2. Make res size potato, carrot, and enough-efficient auto-pumpkin farm (3 farms)
    3. Spawn about 20 farmers (brown farmers, not sheppards, fletchers, etc.) in fence boxes
    4. Harvest potato and carrot farms with OreBuster (it gets no damage) *, re-seed, pumpkins harvest itselves.
    5. Trade cropps for emeralds with villagers (get good exp also ;) )
    6. Throw out OreBuster :D
    7. Focus or repeating steps 4 and 5 :). Sell/Trade emeralds.

* Instead of ore buster you can use diamond voters hoe, results are sligthly worse than with ore buster, but still amazing ;)
    (you can also use normal hoe / fortune pick instead of ore buster, the same idea, but hoe is better)

PS. Spawn villagers for other items you need (librarians, smiths), melon farms are also usable if you have access to silk touch axes (villagers trade)

Have fun farming :)
    We3_Nub_, 607 and AlexChance like this.