Gold Medal of Kindness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NDubb424, Jul 7, 2017.

1. May I suggest having a item as well as a book? That way if you have both it shows it's official.
    ThaKloned and Merek_Shadower like this.
  2. I was thinking the same like a renamed gold nugget or ingot.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  3. This is a great idea. You can rename a ingot. You however, cannot forge a book with my signature. Great thinking, Finch!
  4. After careful consideration, and input from other players the following changes will be made:

1. The name "The Gold Medal of Kindness" will be changed to "The EMC Medal of Kindness".
    This is an award about the community so it seems fitting to have EMC in the title. This also gives us the following opportunity.

2. There will be a first and second place winner. The First place winner will receive a Gold Ingot labeled with the month, and the name of the award. The Second Place winner will receive a Silver Ingot labeled with the month, and the name of the award. Both with come with a book of authenticity to be signed by me. This will serve as proof of your award and achievement!

3. Instead of being awarded weekly, this award will be given out monthly! This will give community members a longer time to nominate people, and also make this award a little more meaningful for the people who win it.

The nominations for the month of July will close at midnight EMC time on July 31st, 2017. The winner will be announced one week after closing.

4. Nominations will be taken either via this post, PM to me, or via an access chest that is set up on V +dubbs on smp2

Please note that to be valid all nominations must include full in game name and an example of an act of kindness you witnessed!

I do apologize for the changes made. I truly believe these will make this award more organized and cherished by the players that receive it. I will update the original post.

Ps. Please feel free to make nominations monthly!
    ShelLuser, Kephras and mjnoe70 like this.
  5. You've never tried to converse with me in real life. I have the exact opposite problem - writing things down is the only way I can be sure I'm conveying myself in the manner I intend to. I also can't help feeling a twinge of defensiveness at the idea that "writing things down is a horrible way to express yourself," but I'm well aware you didn't mean it to be offensive in any way. (Case in point, I suppose!)

As for the thread, great idea. Reminds me of that Community Appreciation thing Krysyy's had going - we're about due for another of those, I think. I don't believe things are that bad around here (the Empyrion forums have given me a new appreciation for EMC's community and moderation) but it's always important to recognize the good in people, and in life.
    NDubb424, Hashhog and ShelLuser like this.
  6. Just giving a little bump as a reminder that nominations end soon.

Thank you!
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  7. My family always says: never ever offend someone(even if its for "self defense") it will only make things worst
    NDubb424 likes this.
  8. That's a good policy to have, and honestly I should be better about implementing that in my everyday life. People have bad days sometimes!
  9. Meh... One thing I dislike with a passion is typing out a story, and pressing a wrong button (such as control-w (close window) accidentally). Take 2...

For reasons shown in this thread itself but also other places on the forum I usually steer clear from events such as these. Nothing negative, I think they're awesome, but I also have my reasons. But yeah, then I started talking to some people and oh well.. Lets cut to the chase for a change :D

My nominees for this month in random order (though I might have cheated on the first ;) )....

NDubb424

It's one thing to have good intentions and to try and change something for the better on the Empire. It's a different thing to stick your neck out and act on it, and that's exactly what I'm seeing here.

Of course there's more than that. Dubb is also often active on SMP2 and always willing to lend a helping hand. I heard the name being mentioned plenty of times to notice, and although I can't share details (I have this policy about always keeping private conversations private) I can say that it was all positive.

Skeletin007

Before you ask: no, it's not because he nominated me, don't even go there.

I've known Skeletin for as long as I can remember playing on the Empire and he's always been around. On both SMP2 as well as on other places. What makes this noteworthy to me is the fact that I've seen a lot of players come and go over the years. To me Skeletin is the kind of player who doesn't try to seek much attention, some players may not even really notice him, but he's still there where it counts. If there's a player event being held which might not seem like much other than some fun then you can still expect Skeletin to pop up. That too matters to me. Why?

Well, what is an event without players? Wouldn't you agree that an event should be fun for players but also for the host who organized the whole thing? To me Skeletin is the kind of player who also keeps that in mind. Sure... He also sometimes merely competes and that's it. But I've also seen him on an event res from... Theomglover (was going to look it up, now with version 2.0 I remembered :D); a parkour. Skeletin wasn't only enjoying the parkour, he also took his time to help another player by explaining how to do a difficult jump (this was a long time ago mind you, somewhere last year).

Heck... skin comps? Who plays those right? Well, you can often see Skeletin there, because they still can be fun!

Now... these may all be details to you on the grand scale of the Empire, sure, but many small things...

And speaking of skin comps:

Rem_ (hope I got the name right, I always mix up the underscores)

I've spotted her on the forums a few times and last week (?) spotted an advertisement for a skin comp on SMP8. I dared my friend Aya to go and well, we had a fun time. Host being Rem. Now, one skin comp is hardly enough for me to notice & mention you here. But the thing is... I've been to SMP8 a little more often and when Rem and her friends were around they always seemed to try and spice up chat a little bit. Not to mention that they also organized more in-game events.

Sure, some of you may or may not like much town chat activity. But to me an active chat also adds up to an active server. Especially with all the new players we see dropping in as of late. Think about this: what would be more appealing: a server with 15 players who all keep silent even if you say hello to them, or a server with 8 ( :D ) players which also has an active chat going. They even welcome you and chat you up a bit.

TBird1128

Always trying to surprise new players and help feel them more welcome on her home server. We all talk about how we like new players, but only few of us will take the effort to actually stop doing what we're doing to try and help them get started a bit. Even if we have to answer for the 2048'th time (in total I mean) that doing /home gets you home. So yeah ;)

Rundercaster

Once again not a player who you might immediately associate with helping other players, but it's once again all in the details for me. Runder is always in for a chat, a talk or a little bit of goofing around but he's also trying to do his own thing in making the Empire a better place (IMO). The funny thing is that I don't really care too much for what he's doing, but I do care that he's doing it.

Runder likes PVP, and as you all know EMC's key feature is PVE, not necessarily PVP. We do have the /pvp servers, there are occasional PVP events (and UHC of course) but yeah... So instead of moping around and going "elsewhere" ("Those places we do not speak off" :D ) Runder decided to do things "differently". He's organized a PVP event for 2 times now and from what I could tell (couldn't make it yesterday because I had some other obligations) people had fun!

As said, I don't care too much for PVP myself, but I do respect a player who does and also tries to make something out of that.

Disclaimer

I mentioned that the bite was in the details a few times and I feel the need to clarify a bit. I know plenty of names (some even from mind) who might be better known, easier recognized by name (as well as the things they did) and generally speaking I think it's safe to say that most will agree with me when I say that they made a difference.

Yah... So I took that list, jotted them down and deliberately left them all out of this one :D

Move over high rollers, it's time for some other players to get their place in the spotlight for a change ;)

(I won't mention names, but I'm quite sure that if I did they'd all agree with me on this) :)
    SkeleTin007 and NDubb424 like this.
  10. I like this idea. A few months back, I was disappointed that EMC discontinued the community appreciation awards. It's time for the community to really influence the empire forums. :) I might have some nominations, once I decide.
  11. I always enjoy reading your *stories* as Merek and I like to call them. This was probably my favorite because you nominated people for reasons that most people would never think of, but still ABSOLUTELY make this community a great place. Thanks for reminding us that every member matters. :)
    ShelLuser and Merek_Shadower like this.
  12. Nominations have closed for this month. Keep your nominations coming for next month!

Winners will be announced 1 week from yesterday!
    (August 7th) Stay Tuned!
    ShelLuser and Eviltoade like this.
  13. Ok frothing at the mouth here? (and do you need me to rename the medals? If yes let me know)
    NDubb424 likes this.
  14. Nope! No rename needed! Thank you though!
    I do apologize for the delay! Work/Real life got in the way of the announcement yesterday! Please stand by! I'll be making the announcement shortly!
    ShelLuser, ThaKloned and mjnoe70 like this.
  15. Wow do I understand that...
  16. Just barely saw this thread and I have to down vote it. Why can't people just be nice to each other for the sake of being a good person? I don't think there needs to be a 'reward' for doing something that EVERYONE should being doing. Its just absolutely a tad bit silly that people expect rewards for simple kind gratitude in this day and age.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I do appreciate your opinion, however, it's not about people expecting awards. It's more of a "Someone saw you do that super awesome thing, and it was appreciated." I don't think a single person that was nominated did the thing they were nominated for based on the hopes that a player that is only known on SMP2 would give them a Gold Nugget and a pat on the back. They did what they did because they are good people. And I want to recognize good people.
  18. Before I kill anyone with the anticipation.... :)

This was so much harder then I thought it would be. I received so many wonderful submissions. I am awed by you EMC. From the little things, to the big things, y'all all are incredible. It was hard to choose a winner, but there had to be one.. so...

The Gold Medal of Kindness Winner for the Month of July 2017 is....

Shelluser!!!

Can I just say, wow. I also knew the amount of things you do for the community but the little stories I heard from players about how you individually touched them in someway was amazing. From founding G.R.I.P. to your many, many, user guides you have touched this community in a lot of positive ways. Thank you for being you!

The Silver Medal of Kindness Winner for the Month of July 2017 is....

mjnoe70!!!

mjnoe70 is single handily responsible for making sure this award succeeds. They donated all the named medals, and came up with so many ideas that made this award what it is now. (Including some of what it will be in the future. (Details to come.) I did not know mjnoe before this event. They had no reason other than generosity and kindness to reach out and help me. Thank you!

Thank you both for being kind and spreading joy! I will mail you both your medals when I get on today!
  19. I think this is well deserved. The responses and information you pass out in the forums is 2nd to none. Just with Ida been the one to nominate you! :) Keep up the good fight in and out of game! I'm already crafting my next submission but need to wait to ensure nothing more deserving comes along before the end of the month.
    SkeleTin007, NDubb424 and ShelLuser like this.
  20. To be honest I didn't expect this, but I do want to thank everyone for the nominations :)

And thank you NDubb for hosting this :)