Gold Medal of Kindness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NDubb424, Jul 7, 2017.

1. I'm very sad to say that I have been witness to some some people on the forums, and in game being very rude to each other. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident but I feel like I am seeing it more and more.

We are part of a community and we should be focused on making our community stronger, and better by encouraging and supporting each other, instead of bringing each other down. This in no way means that you should interfere or ruin your own game play at the expensive of someone else. It just means that you shouldn't go out of your way to bring your fellow minecrafter down.

With that being said, I am hoping I can help spread a little joy in our community by recognizing people in the community for their random acts of kindness. I will be doing that by awarding players with The EMC Medal of Kindness.

There will be two players awarded every month, first place and second place. First place will be awarded a Gold Medal, and Second place will be awarded a silver medal. Both will be awarded with a book signed by me to serve as authenticity of their award and achievement.

The Nominations for the first ever EMC Medal of Kindness will be open until July 31st, 2017 at midnight EMC time. The winners will be announced 1 weeks later.

I am primarily on SMP2 and obviously I can't cover all the forums so if you would like to nominate someone for The EMC Medal of Kindness you can do so on this thread, or you can do so anonymously via a PM to me, or please visit my res on smp2 using /v +kindess where an access chest has been set up for a completely anonymous nomination. You may also nominate someone on SMP1 at /v 2756 just to the left of where you spawn in. When you nominate someone please include their name, and what kind deed you witnessed.

I really hope this is encourages people to be kind to one another! :)

PS-If you would like to offer a spot on your res for a nomination drop spot, please let me know as this is a SMP wide event!
  2. If I may make a suggestion... How about placing a chest with an access sign on it on your res.. This way people can leave books that have not been signed for true anonymity. They can type in their nomination but truly be anonymous.
    BlitzAttack, khixan and NDubb424 like this.
  3. I like this suggestion a lot and will put it in place as soon as I get bag in town later today! Thanks Tower!

(Post will be edited once chest is in place.)
  4. Good idea, yet never mistake rudeness for debating or attempting to in most of EMC's case. Most of "rudeness" on EMC is people debating a point and the people who had the point in the first place not being able to handle it.

I'll nominate someone when you put the chest down I guess.
    EmpireMall, NDubb424 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. Another important thing to keep in mind is that not everyone will have "a way with words". Writing things down is a horrible way to express yourself (especially in comparison to a normal conversation) because it's all too easy to pick something up in a completely different way than it was intended.

Of course... sometimes you need to know when to call it quits, but mistakes like that are also easily made. Leaving the audience with the impression that a bashing is going on even though this wasn't the initial intent.

I like your idea though! :)
  6. I agree. Debate is one thing, and rudeness is definitely another.

Fortunately, we do not have to debate (see what a did there) what this is about! This is specially about noticing people's kind gestures toward their fellow players. It is not about punishing others for what someone may deem poor behavior, or anyone judging what is rude vs. what is a debate. There's one goal here, to basically say, "Hey you! I see you, and I see what you did there and you are awesome! Thank you!" :)
  7. Written words can come across way too harsh, can't they?

But again, this idea wasn't born from one specific incident (I know the one which you both have in mind). This idea was born from several in game/forum moments where I witnessed people being mean just to be mean. And I also want to make it clear that this is in no way to make anyone feel bad for any actions they committed or, even actions that people FELT like they committed. This is not an excuse to call out people or make people feel bad.

This is solely to help spread kindness and joy within our community. We all could use a little more kindness in our lives. Thanks for the support ShelL! :D
  8. Post has been edited. Chest has been added at /v +dubbs on smp2
    Sazukemono and Merek_Shadower like this.
  9. I truly love this idea. Part of what makes EMC so great is our community, so recognizing players for their positive impact on the server is a great idea.
  10. Wise words and a good reminder for all. Thanks for making an effort to improve our community–I look forward to seeing who is recognized via your award. I hope all players will take your message to heart and truly try to continue the year with the best foot forward. EMC is a spectacular place, but only as good as the players who make it up.
  11. I think this is a very smart idea that we are doing here. I can say on my part that rudeness on the forums or anywhere else is not tolerated and I hope this hate can be replaced with the peace that we need and to make the forums a better place. I will nominate 2 people who I think are deserving of the medal. First is Shelluser because he always never backs down to help others in the time of need and makes EMC fun as it is and always has time to help all the new players who joins EMC. Second I will nominate Merek_Shadower because like Shelluser he also makes EMC fun and is also helpful with new players in times of need as well. Can't we all have a time of peace then hate? Peace makes things better.
  12. Awesome! Thanks for your nominations Skele!
    Merek_Shadower and SkeleTin007 like this.
  13. You are very welcome ;)
  14. I like this idea. I would like to nominate TBird1128, she always helps out new players and anyone that needs help. She makes starter packages for new players which include many good items. She is overall a nice and helpful player. :)
    NDubb424 and Merek_Shadower like this.
  15. This is an excellent idea! I will certainly be nominating someone later on today. I've been here for quite while now, and some players just aren't that nice to others- so I like this :D
    NDubb424 and Merek_Shadower like this.
  16. I LOVE this idea. I will be helping out. I saw that thread and it angered me. I'm so helping him out! I'll be there to nominate a few people as there are many good players on.
  17. Thanks bud! But I want to be clear, it was not about one specific instance. Just a lot of hate recently!
    Merek_Shadower and FadedMartian like this.
  18. I'd like to remind everyone that to be a valid nomination, you must provide an act of kindness you witnessed. All non valid nominations will be removed from this post for purposes of keeping the post clean, and easy to keep up with.

Thank you! :)
  19. I think this is a great idea... A renamed gold nugget would be one perfect gift to each person. I guess the down side is anyone can rename one. Thanks again for your focus on the lighter and nicer side of EMC NDubb424.

I think doing PMs or using the in game chat or chest is better than having people fill up this thread with nominations. but that is just my thought. ...and I believe the original request.
    NDubb424 and FadedMartian like this.
  20. Oh I agree. That 1 upset me the most seeing how hurt they got. But yeah. I've seen many not so nice.