Gold Medal of Kindness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NDubb424, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Im dumb. I read this while at work this morning. I thought it was a suggestion thread. Now I realize its you hosting what you want to nominate. Lulz Sorry m8.
    BlitzAttack, NDubb424 and ShelLuser like this.
  2. In order to help gather submissions I am going to create a chest for nominations on smp1 on my residence. If anyone else on smp3-9 or Utopia would be willing to also do this that would be very cool.

Please contact NDubb424 to find out how you should set this up and so he knows where to get them.

NDubb424, can you edit the first post with drop off locations listed at the bottom? I will put this on 2756 on smp1.
    NDubb424 and ShelLuser like this.
  3. New drop spot set up on SMP1 at /v 2756 just to the left of where you spawn in.

Still looking for anyone else willing to allow use of a spot on servers 3-9 and utopia...
    NDubb424 likes this.
  4. OP has been updated reflecting update drop spots! As MJnoe70 mentioned we are still looking for anyone on SMPS 3-9 & Utopia that would like to add a drop spot on their res for nominations!

Also, doing a little work on a Kindness Res to honor past winners, and possibly hold parties in the future! Both MJnoe70 and I hope to make this a permanent event on EMC so please spread the word and keep your nominations coming!

Thank you!
    Raaynn, Merek_Shadower and mjnoe70 like this.
  5. Just a few more days to get nominations in on this... Make sure to include whom and why you feel they are a good nomination! If you create a book please include the same and sign it or also include your name...
    NDubb424 likes this.
  6. Just 2 more days to get your nominations in for August. Vote for your friend, a new player who has been active and helping to make EMC better, someone who helped you, someone you noted helped someone else, someone who has been active in working on EMC projects, etc...

Make sure to state who and why. Send nominations to NDubb424, or you can make a book at either location noted on the first post of this thread.

If you like this enough to set up a place on your smp to drop off please contact NDubb424 or myself. You can also see my nomination set up on smp1 at /v 2756.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  7. Last day to nominate someone for this August award! Please get your noms in! :)
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  8. Nominations for August are now closed. Any further nominations will go towards September! Thank you all!

August winners will be annouced Sept 8th! Stay tuned!
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. The announcement for The Medal of Kindness winners for the month of August will be delayed due to Hurricane Irma.

I do apologize for this inconvenience, but I live in South Florida, and it seems as if Hurricane Irma (now a Category 5 hurricane) is heading straight for my area. Because of this I will need to spend the next several days preparing for landfall. and possibly evacuating.

Thank you in advance for understanding! Keep Queenlizzy, me, and all the people that might be impacted by this storm in your thoughts! I will keep you all updated as we learn more.
    ShelLuser, Merek_Shadower and mjnoe70 like this.
  10. Be careful and I hope for the best! Keep us posted as you can.
  11. You have all the fun. Send her up the East Coast a bit, would you?
    NDubb424 likes this.
  12. I love this idea for sure but I must say that there is one flaw that can really throw down those members that really deserve it.

More often than not, people will pick who is the more popular person out the bunch in these voting polls. I can say that I agree with you choosing of ShelLuser because he was well known for being the contributor member that helped out with any emc related topic or had an opinion on the matter which had relatively great argumentive points. "Just my two cents" - ShelLuser

I would possibly suggest looking into gameplay as well on the contestants that you pick well fitted. Some people I know aren't well known in forums and when they shine by helping new players that just join. My one cent :p
  13. NDubb424 and I have discussed this. I have to tell you that I know many others who were suggested and were not picked that were also as well known or maybe more popular than ShelLuser. This really does come down to everyone getting involved and nominating people with good explanations on why. NDubb424 can't be expected to spend his months travelling the servers to do this so each person just has to do their parts. I believe that he is taking everything in to consideration so if a more popular person wins either it was not because they were more popular it may be the reasons suggested or number of nominations. Since ShelLuser won, going to use ShelLuser in my example... Say you were nominated but say 20 people nominated ShelLuser, who should get the medal? Well if the nomination made for you is compelling it may beat out a bunch of ShelLuser is cool and ShelLuser is always on the forums responding.

Anyway, you are right that from nominations to selections, its not meant to be a popularity contest. ...and I know NDubb424 (who is actively preparing for weather battle) doesn't want that either.
    ShelLuser, NDubb424 and FoxyRavenger like this.
  14. If sheer will has anything to do with it, I am trying! lol!
    ThaKloned, Kephras and Merek_Shadower like this.
  15. I just wanted to expand on what mjnoe70 stated.

It has always been my goal to make sure this is not a popularity contest, and now that mjnoe70 has has joined me in helping make this possible, he shares the same goal. This is the main reason we do nominations, and not votes. All people that are nominated are very deserving. This is the second month we have been doing this, and once again I am faced with the impossible task of choosing who we should recognize this month. (Note: I save all nominations, and there is a possibility of reusing old nominations should we ever have a month with no nominations.) To me, it doesn't matter if someone has 3 x more nominations than everyone else. What matters is the nomination that stuck out to me the most; the nomination that really makes me smile and think "Yes. This is what our community is about." It's not the amount of nominations that matter, but the content of the nominations that is key.

I want to make it clear that EVERYONE has the same opportunity to be recognized for their kind deeds if someone nominates them. To us, it doesn't matter if it is a player that has only played 2 weeks that no one knows, or a player that has played 3 years that everyone seems to know, or even one of the wonderful EMC staff members. It's not who you are, but what you did that truly matters.

This is where we really need the community to step in. This is YOUR award. Not mine. Not mjnoe's. This is the communities. If you see someone that deserves this, no matter how small you think the reason... LET US KNOW! I spend most of my time on smp2, and mjnoe is mostly on smp1. I do travel the smp's fairly often and make note of anything I witness, but mjnoe and I are only 2 people, and we can't possibly witness every kind act on every smp without help. Please spread the word. Tell people about this. Tell people to nominate someone, and make sure to nominate someone yourself. That is the best way to make sure this does not turn into a popularity contest, but remains a community award.

Last little bit, because this is a community award, I am always looking for ways that we can make this better! If you have any thoughts, please tell me or mjnoe70. Again, this is a community award, and we want the community involved!
  16. Sorry for the week long delay folks. Queenlizzy, the pets, and I made it through the Hurricane with very little damage. it's been a long week trying to get back to normal, and dealing with clean up and repairs, but we are getting there. Thank you all for your well wishes and concerns!

Without any further buildup! (Y'all have already waited a week!!!)

The Gold Medal of Kindness Winner for the Month of August 2017 is....

Eviltoade!!!

We all know Eviltoade very well as a wonderful member of our EMC staff, but I have had countless stories flood in of the things Toade does beyond staff duties. Toade has really made an impact, both as a staff member, and as a player and it has not gone unnoticed by members of the community! Thank you Toade!

The Silver Medal of Kindness Winner for the Month of August 2017 is....

Gilixnub!!!

Gilixnub is a perfect example of you don't have to do crazy, kind things for someone to take notice. Gilixnub was nominated purely because they are always kind, always say hi, and always welcome people. (I can also personally speak of a time when Gilixnub out bid me on an auction just so the player would have more money, and gave the items to me anyway! They stated they "just wanted to help out the community". Not on exact quote, but close enough.) Thank you for being you Gilixnub! Your fellow EMCers appreciate it!

Remember! Nominations are now open for the month of September!
  17. Dangit Toade. Stop being so awesome and nice and stuff. You keep making this server so 'great to be a part of'.
  18. This is such a nice honor!

First, I'm so happy that you made it through irma with little damage and things are getting back to normal. Second, thanks to you NDubb for hosting this nice award and to our wonderful community for being flat-out incredible. :)
    Love to you all always,
    ET
  19. When you said it wasn't a popularity contest you weren't lying
    ShelLuser, ThaKloned and Eviltoade like this.
  20. Thanks Toade! <3 I hope to continue hosting it. That depends on the community and their over all involvement!
    Eviltoade likes this.