Gold & Iron Farms Nerft in 1.8

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AmusedStew, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Also: with craftable mossy stone brick and chiseled stone brick, exploring for temples will be completely pointless.
    When really thinking about it the only reason anyone would use those two blocks in their build is because of the scarcity value. Otherwise stone brick would look just as nice, or some cobble with vines growing on it.
    battmeghs and Rainier6 like this.
  2. I know this is off topic but uh how is mossy cobble crafted in 1.8? :D
  3. Cobblestone and Vine. Just saw it in SkyDragonV8's 1.8 thread.
    AmusedStew likes this.
  4. ... As much as I dislike this, because it's now more time consuming to obtain lots of items.

I did expect this to happen a LOT sooner than it has. Iron and gold are fairly major and rareish blocks meant to be obtained from mining, or risking life and lim. I half expect other auto-farmable blocks follow. Meaning melons/pumpkins won't break on pistons, etc.

Seems like Mojang are finally following the golden rule:
    Nothing can be obtained automatically without player interaction. Meaning, at some point the player must take an action to obtain the blocks.

I dislike the monotonous grind that 'mine'craft requires. I just love the building part. But I am glad this will mean a more fair value on items for everyone (not just those who can build cool farms). I'll probably start stockpiling stuff :)

Now gold and iron will be harder to obtain, and enchanted potions/books/weapons will be in more demand.
    Rainier6 and AmusedStew like this.
  5. I don't know about this one, I don't care what people say about farms. In real life, people make cash crops that they sell when they have lots of it and get lots of cash. The same concept in Minecraft with iron/gold farms. It is really dumb what they are doing IMO, they need to listen to the Minecraft community, other wise they are gonna turn out like the Youtube community, not giving a crap about what they want.
    dresden72 likes this.
  6. The thing is, there are alot of people who support this idea, including myself. Do I not count as part of the community as someone who disagrees with you?
    jrm531 likes this.
  7. The thing is though (as it seems from the posts so far), most people do not support the all of the new 1.8 features. So it's not that you don't get a say, so much as it is that your voice is seemingly outweighed by a majority...
    Even still, people will definitely be looking at your posts to grasp your reasoning. Your opinion is rather wise, just not the most popular.
  8. Is it outweighed by a majority, or a vocal minority?
    cddm95ace and Aikar like this.
  9. Nah I've been spreading the news around. People weren't too fond of the news :/
    Either way the voice is what we hear. If more people do approve of 1.8, I hope they post here. (For an accurate look at the common opinion).
  10. That's the problem with trying to use forum/reddit/twitter opinions to judge if an update is liked.

People who do not see a problem with something usually don't take the effort to post about it, cause its not a big deal to them. They rather take that time to play instead.

If you take EMC's playerbase into account, we have some farmers, but they are very little in numbers compared to the overall base.

So with simple math, even when it seems like everyone who is talking about the subject is negative, its clear to see its still a small number of people.
  11. woot woot
    no moar iron/gold farms for u. (everyone that uses them)
    woot woot
    battmeghs and Gabrielrocks69 like this.
  12. Wait they're removing this? I remember posting a tracker report on this back in november 2012 haha - I think I still have the post (I changed it to public view from private so you guys can read it) https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-3137
  13. Iron farm here I come. If I can get enough iron before 1.8 I have a plan. Teehee
  14. I'm only posting to back up what Aikar is saying about how people who don't have a problem with it feel no need to post. I personally think 1.8 is going to be a great update, so I felt no real reason to post.

It's quite obvious that the people upset most likely have a source of income from either an iron or gold farm. They don't want that source to disappear, so, they do what anyone else would have done, they be loud about it. I don't mean loud in a disrespectful way, just that they are voicing their opinions strong and clear for all to hear.

If you're only source of income is gold/iron, you should stop complaining, and find a new area to make money in. I am pretty sure these changes are close to final, so nothing you say or do will change iron/gold farms being nerfed.
    LadBlo, AmusedStew and NZScruffy like this.
  15. Glad I read this, going to adjust my plans for farms

My computer is good enough to not lag badly with that many golems present

I hope they do something with oceans in 1.8

They really messed up oceans in 1.7 no more clay

Luckily my wild base is near a swamp
  16. I totally agree, not enough clay. They need to make something like a hardened clay biome so that regular clay isn't wasted. /jk
    mba2012 likes this.
  17. Mesa sorta count but not really

I have gathered massive amounts of clay for bricks in shorelines at the end he's of oceans , and in rivers/swamps

Useing iron shovels and night vision + water breathing helps me

I have gathered probably almost a single chest of bricks in like 1hr,

The problem is then you have to find a new river/swamp/shoreline
  18. In real life you can farm sugar, wheat etc. But you cannot farm iron and gold. So it is more realistic if you can't farm them.
    THE_LEGEND4 likes this.
  19. minecraft? realistic? :D
    RainbowChin likes this.