Forum Mobile View!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Also note that when the ''off switch" is added, be warned that you shouldn't expect it to always be there... Because once we update the forums, the new theme will be responsive and will not have a 'desktop mode' and I sure as hell am not adding one.

But things will be laid out easier then, and I hope they are good for everyone now on the pages that are working.
    JesseJames_ likes this.
  2. Nice mobile site.
  3. Still no what's new button... :/
  4. I checked it out and it looks great.
    Nice work :)
  5. I use my iPhone primarily in the "vertical" position. The website always worked for my just fine in that orientation before. With the new changes, however, it can only be viewed properly when I switch it to the horizontal position. It's a minor inconvenience, but I rarely use my phone this way so it's a bit awkward. It would be nice to opt out of using the mobile site, since the full website seems to work better for me on my device. Thanks.
    607, nuclearbobomb and TomvanWijnen like this.
  6. Hello Aikar, Not to seem rude in any shape or form, but this update was hard work that wasn't needed. I love that you are trying to make the site better for mobile users but let's face it, I, and other people were fine with the website version of the site...I didn't see any use of a mobile version website if I and others were fine with the website version...This is what I think.
    -Tahit
    nuclearbobomb, 607, Jinkers and 2 others like this.
  7. I have some problems with the rupee page:

1. Descriprion way too small
    2. Time way too big
    3. New Balance now shown at all (scrolling doesn't work either)
    4. In the header, description and amount overlap each other.

nuclearbobomb likes this.
  8. I think the mobile version of the website was designed to be viewed in landscape mode.

Here are screenshots of portrait view vs. landscape view on my phone:
  9. The internet disagrees. IT's been bothering me for ages. It hurts our websites ranking (which is how we get new players) to not be mobile friendly, and is an overall bad user experience.

By making those changes, we will get more new players now.

Players are only preferring that view because its what your USE to and the way you normally access various things on the site has now shifted.

But, a mobile friendly website is hugely beneficial as it helps you read the content without horizontal scrolling, which is much more natural for a phone. It presents content in an easier to read version.

The desktop site (before these changes) was horrible to read on your phone, constantly having to scroll left right up and down, or reading super tiny text, and clicking really small links too close to each other. It was a bad user experience.
    The new experience is friendly, and much easier to read the forums.

It makes us look bad to new players to not have a mobile friendly website and was likely hurting our forum activity levels.

The new version is "proper" too :p Can you instead tell me what is impeding you on the mobile friendly version instead?

----
    As for rupees page, part of issue is the black on right, which i accidently added back - but i think i found the culprit to be the facebook thing at bottom. but i might switch rupees and tokens back to desktop view.

And again - I highly suggest everyone instead of trying to "Stick with the old", to adapt to change and let me know WHAT really is missing that you desperately need.

In the future, there will absolutely be no way to use a "Desktop Version" when we upgrade the forums.
    Responsive based websites don't respond to "Request Desktop Site".

At this time, the forums should be fully functional (minus the sub menus on the navigation which ill try to get back in) as well as the very old problem we've had where touching things like PM's dont RELIABLY open the popup.

But that stuffs going to be a little tricker to resolve.

I will also try to add things like the recent threads, and your user info box to be inside of the popout menu, giving quicker access to those items. and a whats new button....
    607, ToddV, Tahitan and 1 other person like this.
  10. This has been one of your best updates so far. I check the site on my phone so much and it's just so nice to be able to do it easily now.
    Rhythmicaly likes this.
  11. ..when a browser has a request desktop version button.. it's expected to be supported.. Personal opinions aside, a part of having a responsive website is listening to requests that are widely obeyed by many (much more popular and higher ranked) forums and websites as well.

Listening to requests and adding a desktop button does not hurt your rank, is not that huge of a hassle, and certainly is not a negative thing to do. I for one get very annoyed when websites ignore desktop requests because they want to shove the 'mobile experience' down your throat when you just want the full website.

This is the reason for higher level jailbreak tweaks and modifications that, when enabled, will spoof your device as being a desktop when browsing for the sole purpose of sites like EMC not listening to peaceful requests. Let the people that want the mobile website have it, and the people that prefer continuity (regardless of the slight inconvenience) to have it.

12. it's 2 AM here, and I'm weirder late at night, so that's also influenced this post. not super relevant to EMC, still interesting to read though.

Well that would suck some big time (referring back to my quote). Thanks for letting me know I hate responvie based websites :D [more rant] I honestly hate the way the internet and a lot of technology is going, things are just getting LESS good, but you're forced to switch to new, worse stuff. On my phone I've had to disable downloadmanagerthing, because it would automatically (!) update me to the newer (worse in most ways) Android. Just let me freaking choose,... And then my schoolwebsite, which is the ONLY place we can see oiur grades (in one place), has basically completely ruined the everything, by first of all making it moee hideous than a trainwreck, and secondly, you can even freaking see the grades in portait mode, what the actual [insert "that" word here]... So one of the most important uses of that site are just rendered useless, becuase they apparently wanted to switch responsive based websites...
    And if the EMC forums would also go the way of my school (not necessarily saying it will), I'll have to ask you guys for a good corner - one in which I can cry a lot, because ugh. I just hate the current internet and most of the technology world.
    [/rant, needed to get that of my chest, feels better now. This is not directly aimed at EMC, I just jeeded to vent a bit, and generally EMC is a nice place ;)..].

Just posting this now, will probably regret when I wake up, but meh.
    nuclearbobomb, 607 and ToddV like this.
  13. I honestly believe that player posts should be first than the front page. The box of Recent player posts is smaller compared to the frontpage info and I would like to see players instead of information I've seen for months at a time.

It's just my opinion.
    nuclearbobomb and 607 like this.
  14. On the home page that's something we can consider, to show the recent threads if logged in. just that's a tricker update.

Whereas adding it into the menu button on all pages would be a simpler path and probably the better option.

I totally understand wanting easier access to those links - I will add it as soon as I can!

That is exactly the case of NOT being responsive. the issue is that its not responsive, and they need to switch it to be in order to see the grades.

They designed only for desktop, but screwed up the viewport settings preventing you from scrolling.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. Alerts has not been fixed yet, its still in the beautiful desktop view I believe, well earlier today it was.
  16. Everything looks perfect if you are using an iPhone. :)
  17. There's nothing inherently that different from same versions of the same browser on same size phones regardless if they are on iOS or Android.

No need to declare Apple to be issue free.
  18. Main focus is on the parts of the site that are "public" (ie: accessible while not logged in). The goal is to achieve better rankings for search engines as mobile friendly ness is a big part of your score now.

Profile pages I didn't bother with yet as that's not something we need to try to improve ranking on...

Other sections can come later when time permits
    Keliris likes this.
  19. Is there a way to use the mobile view on Android?
  20. In Portait mode its default.