Forum Mobile View!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Not for me. I see the same view no matter what orientation I hold my device.
  2. Why is there only like 5 words on a line in mobile mode. Smaller font please.

And if you're going to force everyone to use it without any options, you cannot just focus on the ranking. You're screwing over your current members by not fixing things like profile pages and not making a view in desktop mode button.

- Only fixes parts of site that matter to non-members and ranking
    - Forces everybody to use it

Facepalm
    Jinkers and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. Side note, I'd prefer if entire words just rolled over to the next line instead of hyphening them. A bit easier to read that way instead of having to reassemble the word.
    Jinkers likes this.
  4. See, feedback on issues that makes the view troublesome works better than just trying to avoid it!

I did not see hyphens in my browsers, but I have removed that rule causing them.

Also reduced the font size.

Also, Profiles was fixed. I made the CSS only apply to pages that it cleanly works for, so it does not apply to profile pages. Those are still in desktop mode.
  5. What device? It must be pretty huge... the breakpoint is set to 550 pixels, and even my gigantic Nexus 6P is only at 420~ pixel range.
  6. if the thread has a poll, it has a funky look
  7. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 with a screen resolution of 2560x1600.
  8. Sorry this is phone size only - leaving tablets at desktop view.

While I could raise the breakpoint, tablets usually work fine in desktop view and I could very well understand people being upset if that got changed to the simplified menu.
    607 likes this.
  9. Hmm yeah I'll work on that soon. I was working on it when I first started but then ended up testing on a thread without so didn't finish.
  10. I like the desktop view best. The only issue is that sometimes the alerts bug out.
  11. also to note! not just for mobile devices, but I made some big speed improvements on the website today.

Everything should be noticeably faster (well especially with ads blocked, the ads loading makes the page appear to take longer to load, but the content is actually done in a blink of the eye)

Optimized many images, and implemented better browser cacheing.
    Tahitan likes this.
  12. I really like the new mobile-compatible view!

The only issue I am having with the mobile view is the fact that the dates are cut off at the left side of the screen on the home page. Other than that, it feels like I am using the desktop version of the forums on my phone without having to zoom in and stuff, which is amazing! Great job, Aikar! :)
  13. Well landscape mode is unmodified so its always been that way :p
    tuqueque likes this.
  14. Aikar, i really think that rupee box should go on top
  15. Oh. I see. The portrait view looks very good, anyway. The changes have gotten me to visit the forums often on my phone! :)
  16. Then everyone who doesn't care to see their rupee value (which is unlikely to change between page views) is stuck scrolling past it to see the content they actually want to see :/

It'll go into the menu popout.
  17. Yeah, thank you very much for only applying it to phones :p
    Also, how would not having a mobile-adapted version of the site hurt new player rates?
  18. More and more users are using the web on their phone and tablets rather than desktops...

So, when Search Engines scan your site to index it, they do it essentially with a mobile size.
    They judge if you present your website equally accessible to all viewers.

If the page is not mobile friendly, Google overall treats your website lower as your not spending the effort to optimize your website for all your visitors, and even more so devalues you on all searches from mobile devices.

The more effort you put into your site to make it proper, the better your ranking.

I did a lot of invisible work even before the mobile change, and got more invisible work to do here soon too :)

We get a lot of traffic from search engines, and the goal is to boost that as thats FREE and long term beneficial.

Case in point - We're at the top of page 2 for the phrase "Minecraft blog", soon we will be on page 1, and hopefully beat even Mojangs own blog (someone else is already beating mojang and their website is HORRIBLE!)

Our blog has been mobile friendly and SEO optimized from the start, and now I'm finally working our forums.
    607, PenguinDJ and Rhythmicaly like this.
  19. I see us as #5 on page 1. ;)