[Feedback] Residence Flags

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by chickeneer, Mar 13, 2017.

?

How do you change your residence flags?

Command 31 vote(s) 75.6%
Chest Interface 6 vote(s) 14.6%
I troll the forums instead 4 vote(s) 9.8%
  1. Fill in the above poll :)

I have some ideas for simplifying the access to residence flags. Without tainting your thoughts/opinions. What do you think is most difficult when using our residence flag system on EMC.

Common Responses:
    • Just learning it the first time.
    • Knowing all the different flags.
    • Subflags.
    • Others?
    Also, any solutions that do not involve removing currently existing residence flags.
    Thanks!
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  2. It's common for me to forget a lot of flags, because there's quite a bit now. I feel like some people might not know the command at first just because the whole thing (Depending on the flag/type of flag you use) can be really long.
    EDIT: I didn't even know there was a chest interface until just now
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. If its person, command. If its group or general(res flag) then chest interface

Edit: The most difficult part is finding the right flags, because maybe you think one does the job, but in reality it doesn't...

Edit 2: Now that i see that many people don't use /res cset , then I believe is some miscommunication of available resources. Maybe add it in /help res. One of the main benefits i use the chest interface is because i have all flags listed there, so i dont have to go to the wiki to find them.

Edit 3: In the current system /res info is all cramped if you have many groups. I would say to have in /res info the group name and then in separete brackets MEMBERS and in another FLAGS(and when you hover over them, then you see the respective members or respective flags

Edit 4: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/suggestion-res-tempban-player-time.67579/
    Equinox_Boss and chickeneer like this.
  4. An interesting proposal. My refactor may touch on these ideas now. Gotta toy around with some ideas.
    Equinox_Boss and Tuq_SolidColor like this.
  5. Chest Interface. All the time. It's so much easier to just look for the icon and click. :D
    Equinox_Boss and Tuq_SolidColor like this.
  6. If that happens(implemented), make it so when you click(not hover) the flags it takes you to the chest GUI for the group
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Commands would be harder to use since the chest GUI lays it all out for you and you don't need to remember every flag & sub flag.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. I use commands. It's really hard to remember all the flags and sub flags
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. I have used commands almost all the time but I wish I had used the gui instead. Part of the problem might be that many Minecraft players are conditioned to interact via commands and not through an interface. Maybe typing in an incomplete command brings up a gui outlining the available options. For example, if I type /res pset jkrmnj, provide me with a gui to pick the flag. If I type /res pset jkrmnj build, provide me with a gui to select between true, false, or default.
    Pab10S and Equinox_Boss like this.
  10. OK, stupid question what is chest interface? :confused:
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  11. I use both but chest is easier when I need to do it fast
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. You can access it by typing /res cset, apparently.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I use both for small/individual changes.

I guess this is along the line of knowing all the commands, but I think one difficult thing is if you're trying to manage a big set of flag changes at once (for example beginning an event.) Commands can get bulky and may require copying/pasting from a script, and sorting through flags and subflags in the chest can be time consuming.

I use macros to change between preset res states that I use often. (example: /res gset vendors build,container,createshop t/r) This may be getting off track, but possibly res presets?
    Equinox_Boss, Tuq_SolidColor and 607 like this.
  14. I use flags a lot. Suppose I'm a bit of a nerd in this regard because my main residence has a pretty tight configuration set up. At one point my Utopia residence would even crash your client the very moment you used /res info on it because I had stowed approx. 210 players within several groups :D (no joke, but that got fixed in the mean time).

But yeah: I'm a little biased.

I think commands will be most commonly used because that's what most players know and that's what most players tell each other. "How to give my friend perms?" => "use /res pset <friend name> build t". That's a very common thing shared in town chat, not too many people know about the chest interface or will mention it.

Of course another thing is that commands are much easier once you know what flags you need to use. When I need to give Aya build, redstone, container:hopper and maybe container:jukebox I usually don't bother with the chest interface because I'll have the entire command typed out long before I made it to the next page of flags.

I'm actually missing an option ;) I use both commands and the chest interface from time to time.

Getting to know it for the first time. A lot of players will be familiar with WorldEdit/WorldGuard and/or other claiming options (GriefPrevention comes to mind) so for them it would definitely be the first hurdle.

Not a stupid question at all.

There are 2 ways to change residence flags. First are the commands. So, say I want to give my friend Aya build permission on my residence I'd use: /res pset ayanamikun build t. But I can also omit the flags and then you'll get a 'chest interface' which will show you all the available flags and their current setting.

The official command is: /res cpset ayanamikun but you can also use the regular command and simply leave the flags out: /res pset ayanamikun. This interface works for everything. Players (see above), global residence flags (/res set, or /res cset) and even groups (/res cgset visitors or /res gset visitors).

It's called a chest interface because... well, you'll see ;)
  15. Thank you for the third poll option. ;)
    Jelle68 and ShelLuser like this.
  16. I use both actually... I use the chest interface if I want to do a complex residence (so that I can see the flags and can think about if I want people be able to do something or not) but if I just want a flag set up, I use the command (like I just want to give someone use flag, or build flag to show some build things (used on empety res's, of corse...)
    607, TomvanWijnen and Equinox_Boss like this.
  17. Maybe add a Section in the Tutorial where players have to use simple res flags before they move on so they start to get the hang of it?
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  18. I use a combo of chest and commands, whatever springs to mind first. Though I don't generally need to change my flags.
  19. Though I don't edit flags that often, I consistently use both ways of doing it. Like Shell and Jelle said, when I know what to do, /res (p)set. But when I don't know the exact name of the command (e.g. allowing only buttons to be pressed (use:button?)) I'll use /res c(p)set to look around to try to find it. I also use /res c(p)set when I want to remove a flag from the list.
  20. The poll is mostly out of curiosity. I use a combination myself. For someone well versed in the system, there is an appropriate time for each.
    607, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.