EntCount - What changed on Dec 08, 2012

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Could this also be causing the massive lag on SMP7 that keeps disconnecting Brit and I? Also when we were mining blocks would reappear and then pop back up. When riding a boat I would end up on the water like normal, then in the water and then eventually stuck in some stone but not suffocating.
  2. When will the update be done?
  3. To everybody who has complained about the economy on this thread and how much the new limiter updates have hurt their grinders/farms, you need to wait it out. For those of you who were here over this past summer when EMC updated to 1.3, I'm sure you can all remember the insane lag that came with it. At times it got unbearable to the point where I just quit for the day, checking back every hour or two to see if anything had changed. Well you know what? I came back a couple days later, and poof! The lag was gone. Aikar worked his magic and got things good enough so that we were able to resume our duties in the lagless Empire environment we all know and love. Soon after, he spent hours upon hours working at the remaining issues and things just got better and better.

Now here we are in 1.4 with all of these new issues, and the same cycle is repeating. Right now I'd say we're at the point where things are looking grim and people are turning away because their grinders have been rendered a bit less productive. At this point we're only seeing a small part of the huge updates that the staff has planned for us such as the Dragon Tombs and all of the other secrets they're thinking of. The Entity Limiter is still a fairly new feature that's still being tweaked to work well with the growing population of the servers. Those tweaks, as always, are for the better. I noticed today that I was lagging a bit and that the entity limiter had a bug, but I'm just going to be patient and let Aikar do his work. He's doing the best he can, and again he's spending countless hours hammering out the bugs of the ever-changing code of Minecraft so that it can handle the fun updates that are coming soon. So please, give Aikar a break and let him do whatever it is he needs to do. Let's wait until we get to the stage where the lag is gone, the bugs are fixed, and even to the point where we can enjoy the Dragon update in it's bug free state. :)

EDIT: Just thought I'd point out that my signature achievement is referring to the earlier version of the entity limiter where ghasts spawned like CRAZY in the nether. That's an example of the bugs I was talking about earlier, and the problem quickly got fixed! (Therefore, I'm just going to wait for the current problems to get fixed, rather than abandoning this amazing empire because of a few changes. :D)
    mba2012, bonzd67, sonicol1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lol i wish i could understand all about this stuff thats happening but i cant :D
    Pab10S and PandasEatRamen like this.
  5. Just an update. I'm getting close with fixing the limiter and was hoping to push it out tonight, but the animal duplication glitch brought SMP9 into meltdown mode so I was forced to handle that.

I pushed the fix to animals out but it did not include the new limiter code.

However, it did tweak monster tick rate which has increased spawn rates a bit..

however its still not perfect, the limits arnt upped yet since i didnt get time to finish it and itll be tomorrow now.
    mba2012, southpark347 and Pab10S like this.
  6. @Aikar, you got any idea how this is caused? (I discovered this today in the past 9h.)
    My stone gen's redstone circuit does unstock itself when 1 of 2 chickens walk over a pressure plate. Now actually i discovered that all animals, and also irongolems/villagers sometimes move like normal, and sometimes all together stand completely still for a really long time e.g. like 5-20 minutes. (on smp1)
    Regards,
  7. Updated OP. New version released, and this should solve everyones concerns....

Wild is pretty full now but the spawning is more accurate and spawns mobs more centered around you when you get into the area.

I've also increased view-distance up to 6, so that should help some big farms.

allen: yours will work fully if you change your stand point to be dead center, I tested it.

Also for the nether farms.... Spawn radius dropped back to 4. You can stop slabbing. 5 actually seemed to make the spawning more awkward (and more mobs) once all the fixes were in.

I cant promise your farms will work identical to before, but it should be a lot better than the last update.
  8. OP delivers.
  9. Ok well that is very good to hear. I'm sure people will now be happier with this update than the last.
  10. Hopefully. Then again I'm sure there will be those who will find something to complain about :I
  11. Lol I was going to say that too but didn't want to spoil the happy moment
  12. YES! Now I cam go back to wither hunting to get skulls 23/36 as normal! :)
    *bum bum ti bum, bum bum de bum! Bum bum de bum bum bum didi bummmmm!*
  13. I cant find any mobs at the nether >:U
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  14. I liked how it was, why change it?! D:
  15. Could you add the entcount limit for the Nether to the original post please, Aikar? I haven't been able to get enough mobs to load in order to see the maximum exceeded message so far.
  16. It should be 250 as well.
  17. 250 total, 90 natural monsters in wild and nether
    Pab10S likes this.
  18. So i just afk at my wither farm for an hour, that has been half slabbed out to a 5 chunk radius. I killed 0 mobs in this time. When i did /entcount it said Animals:0 Monsters:47. I went and counted the actual mobs there and i counted 32, difference of 15. I am okay with that 15 mobs missing, could be from an unexplored cave or whatever. I was afk for 1 hour and you said that 90 natural mobs should spawn. I think this is more then enough time for them to spawn. Is there any reason for my mobs not going over 50? I have seen it go up to 60 but then 5 minutes later I /entcount and its back down to in the high 40's. What is the cause of this?
  19. 90 natural in nether? In nether for me its between "All: 37" and "All: 48" usually now.
  20. it is suppose to be 90, but i think there is a bug of some sort.