EntCount - What changed on Dec 08, 2012

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. I'm guessing theres probally something making things count more than they should... Not sure why.
    @Yaman: Remember spawn radius is now 5 chunks. Based on your screenshots provided. Id say that your going to get some natural spawns on the chunks outside of the biome.

Look at your E #, it shows 115 in bottom one with 138 animals. That # shows theres 112 entities out of your viewing area. The ent count is not going to show on F3 doesnt show the full 4-5 chunk radius. So i'm actually leaning to believe the numbers are correct in your screens.

Also, to answer everyone overall -- You have to remember you are not the only player on the server. These limits are in place to ensure all players have a good playing experience.

If we allow everyone 200 natural spawns, that will cause us tons of lag... It simply can not happen.

We would prefer if people did not go over 100 mobs in spawners too... But at least that is more controlled.
    Spawners wont build high numbers unless intentional. Increasing natural spawn # would make everyone spawn more mobs regardless if they wanted to or not.

In single player, your going to be capped at 70 mobs for natural grinders. Your required to light up the entire 8 CHUNK RADIUS in single player to get the best results on a natural spawn.

EMC is a bit simpler with a reduced radius, but understand we are not going to balance our gameplay around farming/grinding...

Our gameplay is going to be based off normal intended gameplay of exploring the wild and killing monsters as you go.

We will try our best to keep farms working... but it is not our baseline to balance off of.

Our plans are to grow EMC and encourage wild gameplay, and high monster counts is simply not going to work with our plans.

@Pab: How do you have 1700 entities? Item drops?
    Things are going to be tweaks as I posted, but as I said above, you would not have more than 70 monsters in single player.

Once entcount is moved to 5 chunks itll help give your correct #'s.

There will never be balance between natural vs spawners. Just will need to accept that. Mojang created that unbalance.

If it was up to me, Id nerf the hell out of spawners as Mojang was intending to in 1.4.
    ShelLuser, mba2012 and zulu9 like this.
  2. Aikar knows what's up
  3. So since this messes up dark room spawners, does that mean "Build a dark room to keep mobs away from your outposts" is null now?
  4. Would this make the value of mob drops increase? (Wither heads/Beacons)
    ShelLuser, Pab10S and Roslyn like this.
  5. Kind of
  6. So there's an upside to this situation......Kinda
  7. I don't see an upside at all.
  8. Well if...you know what i forgot how i though it was an upside.....
  9. If it was anything that was discussed in town chat it was the now rarity of Wither Skellys and heads. Which means beacons will now sky rocket up to stupid amounts of money like the dragon eggs that everyone paid an arm and a leg for, only to end up selling them back for 2 rupees at one of the spawns.
    deathconn likes this.
  10. Thanks Aikar :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. The only reason why i'm happy for this change is because i've paid an arm and leg everytime i've visited the wild recently.

Mrlegit's SMP2 camp - Mobs were spawning in well-lit areas, every night was absolute hell. The first night I got there a creeper came from behind me (remember, they didn't make sound back then :p) and blew up, freed all the cows, to try and get the cows back I ended up going down to one health and waiting it out in somebody's house. We've lit the camp up even more now and they were still spawning.

Last Light Outpost - They're spawning on well-lit roof tops. And skellies are shooting me. I also walked into somebody's basement the other day and a creeper was in there. I didn't back up enough in time and it exploded. Luckily I fixed everything, but there might have been a 'next time'. That 'next time' could have involved 2 creepers - I would die, lose some of my good items (diamond boots and leggings with an iron helmet), and I don't have the materials to fix most of the houses at the LLO - I'm mainly there to do stuff with the site, to talk to my friends at the LLO, live in a 'big' wild area etc.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. Iron farms are going slower now too so iron price will increase....
  13. not if make them right. Take away the crushers, kill them with lava. You will not have a problem.
  14. Yay Entity Count update!
    Oh darn, it has a major bug on residences :(
    dvg6640 likes this.
  15. Ok put it this way, let the update run itself for 3 months and see the results, if things get crazy, adjustments will be made, but most likely , everyone is going to cope with it and adjust onto it and figure out a way to build those grinders that once worked and make them work with this update. I'm just going to observe 3 things: economy prices, mob spawns, player well being.
  16. Incorrect, my farm uses lava.. However that is not the problem..
  17. My experience is that before this recent change, in the wild,
    entcount was mostly showing double count for (a part of?) monsters.
    At the same time, the spawning from spawners was limited correctly,
    so after some time there were about 160-190 mobs from the spawner
    (just enough to get level 30, perhaps 31) and entcount was showing
    count of around 370 monsters.

I've tested this numerous times - I kill one monster and the count
    shown by /entcount drops by 2.

With the recent change, the collected mobs from spawners (EDIT: at least if
    there are many animals around) allow to get level 20 or 21, and entcount
    shows a ton of animals around.

I can tell you how people like enchanted picks, swords and bows very much.
    But, for example, if an enchanted pick saves you 20 min of time while
    using it, but you need 22 min to get it, then well... there goes the "economy" :)

What was wrong with how it worked before? Why the change?

Aikar, you know that there is a huge amount of rupees in the economy, but
    there is not much you can buy. You might also realize that giving people
    rupees and then simply taking rupees away (fees, taxes, sinks etc.) is like
    giving a child a toy and then taking it away - people do not like that.

So if you want EMC economy to function more or less stable like it does
    now for some time more, then you don't want to reduce the amount of
    goods and services available on the market. You don't want to nerf the
    "industry".

Believe me, to keep EMC economy functional, and if you don't want to
    reduce inflation (= increase in the amount of currency in the system),
    then you need to
    a) stimulate the industry, so there are goods available on the market, and
    b) stimulate the increase in prices to somewhat balance the inflation,
    but NOT with nerfing the industry!

(This might keep it running for a while, but you need to know that
    hyperinflation will kill any economy.)

This is why changes around entcount and spawning are possibly
    a threat to the economy...

EDIT: the change around the spawner I've checked was due to a village near it (villagers count as animals). Neither moving the village nor moving the spawners is an option. So the change just rendered the spawners (near villages) unusable. :(
    I'll check other spawners...
  18. I have 3 farms... full sized.. none of which were hurt by this update.
  19. Again, The economy is not our focus. If the economy changes due to REQUIRED changes in the entcount, then it has to be.

Performance is a top priority.

This is not an economy debate thread. This thread is about monster density and limits in the wild.

-----

update: I've found a primary bug thats likely the cause of the issues. Had a if entity.isDead() logic reversal....

but i got another issue to resolve for now.
  20. Full sized?
    Okay,Well, Then explain this
    On sunday, I played for 1h and got a bit more then 3 stacks of iron.
    Yesturday, I played for 1h and got 52 iron ingots.

That means that I got 3x more iron on sunday.
    Explain this please?

Also, I dont know what caused this but Im starting to belive that it was Aikars update....