EntCount - What changed on Dec 08, 2012

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Well, not really.
    Naturally a topic will touch many areas of interest, economy almost with any topic, this is not "derailing."
    Nonsense posts, bad jokes / insults, starting private conversations, explaining what happened to my aunts chicken farm the day when the spawn rate was limited... is :)

When a significant digression happens, the usual solution is to move it to a new thread.

Like with -> involvement of the community
  2. Hmmm...
    Aikar and southpark347 like this.
  3. As they stated before, they must test the update in a live action test with the players . And see the real results and if things get a bit choppy, I know they will fix it or alter the problem in a way.
  4. its funny how you change the game rules all the time without letting us know before you already have done it.
    that making building a contraption/creation a really safe investment of time - not knowing if it will work the day after you have spent hour after houre making it!

EMC will NOT get my vote in the "Christmas Vote-a-thon" or "700 Rupees Per Day By Voting!" or any other voting system if this is the path you are choosing...
  5. I'm very sorry you feel this way, but the path we are choosing is high performance with no lag (which will increase whatever performance you have on a creation without needing it be so gigantic). From talking with Aikar, as long as you can SEE your contraption from where you're standing, it should be operational and if the contraption goes beyond that, you have a pretty crazy contraption, haha.
  6. i understand you want to get rid of the lag. but why not inform us some time before instead of after? ive juste spent many days and hours on my creation, making it useless now 5 days later, without know why until i read this thread.
    in my opinion, the gaming experience on emc has now dropped to the point concidering not playing or supporting emc anymore.
    what are you trying to get? holding on to the people you got, or having random people playing for just some days.
    i know you probably say both...
  7. We actually informed the same day it happened. The post for this announcement is December 3rd, which is when it was put into place. As soon as we know what we're doing/adding/changing, we let you guys know right away.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  8. aikar is announcing the there will be more updates. what changes can we expect then? should i wait playing or building anyhing until then just to be sure im not waisting my time?
    i know that this is a bit nagging, but im just frustrated of all my time i spent making something that is useless now.
  9. There really isn't anything that would be considered useless based on this update. The only thing that should have really changed is if you have a TON of animals near a mob grinder of yours, in which case you'd just have to move some animals.
  10. Ah! - Just like in Britain, the capitalists are bleating when the going gets tough :D
  11. Shows you're determined to get things right for the majority, (for you) I certainly wouldn't be up at this unearthly hour of the morning - unless I was on acid (if you were my age you'd most likely know what I'm talking about :):))
  12. doing an encount then and now is the same, about a total of 150. my problem must be the lowering viewing distance.
    yes i know my creation is big and far apart, mabye i even was one of the reasons for the lag.
    anyway, im not going to argue anymore. the decisions you have made and put in to action is probably the best way to kill the lag, aikar probably know what he is doing.
  13. Yeah, my sleep schedule is usually pretty broken due to EMC...but that's fine, I enjoy it.
    southpark347 and ZBSDKryten like this.
  14. In all honesty, it could just be the wackyness of Minecraft itself. There are times I've been at an iron farm and it yielded like stacks of iron. Then another day it would get maybe a few stacks (less than before) with no changes or updates in play. Go back again another day and it's crazy rocking again.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  15. Perhaps you can open a "Lag" thread and ask people about the lag. Let all hear what people say about it.
    I'd expect that you'll get some good ideas on what to try and how to solve the problem.

BTW, (I know I'm mostly playing when the servers are all but full) I had problems only in connection with fast digging (eff 4 and eff 5), but that seems to got better some weeks ago.
    o0_Jetfire_0o likes this.
  16. On a daily basis, I see at least 10-15 "lag" comments in chat.

Personally, since this was done I have not gotten stuck in a single block. And that is a great feeling. Also, my skele grinder yields the same number of mobs as before - I just have to check back often. Same with natural spawns.

We could always put the AFK kick back into effect, but I have a funny feeling no one would like that.
    Maxarias likes this.
  17. Yes, but it is mostly client-side lag...

I share that feeling :)
    It wouldn't be fun if you'll have to fear to be kicked when answering the door or the phone, or going for a short sitting, or reading the forum while waiting for mobs to collect ... anything that could last few minutes more... :)
    o0_Jetfire_0o likes this.
  18. Or, The ones who are experienced in diagnosing and managing the servers could handle it and get it to the place they want it to be at (lag free).
    I have a big post written to you in pm I forgot to press send on at home... But yes I checked your farm and CURRENTLY your issue is solely due to the reduced view-distance (Which was the biggest help in reducing our lag -- that change WILL NOT be undone)

The next change that affects other people is an increase in spawn range to match the view-distance of 5. This was done to help ensure mobs were properly placed in front of you and that you couldn't run faster than they spawn.

Well the nethers numbers def show they need to be tweaked, so next version should def help a ton.

Mob Spawn ticks will be dropped from 5 ticks to 3 ticks. This will greatly speed up the spawn rate of mobs and get you to the full 90 cap faster on natural spawns.

I've also decided to help balance the people who were basing on the 200/200 split before to only drop the limit to 250.

I think this is an EXTREMELY FAIR number, as 250 entities per player is quite a lot.

Allen, my best suggestion is to try to move your collection area to the center more and see if you can enable more pods. I don't know the science behind the farms, but can they be moved closer in? I know it'll be a lot of work, but I can assure you the view-distance wont be going lower than 5 unless drastic actions are required.

The AFK kick was never a problem for people before. I believe its set to 10 minutes of inactivity. No-one ever complained about it before... and it only activates if server is full.

The AFK kick is actually still enabled... It was never turned off :)
  19. Theres no way for us to really know how an update will affect every single gameplay mechanic of minecraft... there is so many.

I honestly didnt think it was going to change anything for anyone, other than different spawning formulas for natural spawns.

Natural spawns looked pretty much the same in testing, so what was there really to announce to people? To me, the update was meant to be an under the hood performance change with little impact.

It's clear now it did impact some, but we can not balance things around the extreme minority of people who run large farms. If we tweak numbers based on those scenarios, mob counts for normal use cases will likely go up too, which results in more entities and more lag.. the exact opposite of the goal.
  20. To be fair, making large contraptions like this is not safe ANYWHERE in minecraft. Mojang very commonly breaks redstone mechanics that breaks peoples big builds.

This is nothing new. If you build something big on minecraft, you're essentially taking the risk you may have to rebuild/adjust it in the future based on updates.

The only difference is it was our update instead of Mojang, but I would like to think we can still have the right to adjust things for the benefit of the community.

Just like me breaking duplication exploits has broken a few redstone mechanics such as single piston T Flip Flops...
    Wasn't that much backlash over that, and there really shouldn't be as much for this either. The changes are made for the benefit of everyone, not for the benefit of a few.