EMC Staff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kaptrix, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Kaptrix, my post was referencing others, not you when speaking about the bashing warning.
    Re-training has been done before, at least Ithe was 'assigned'. I need specific names (in a pm) in orDer to go directly to that person and analyze what's wrong and needs fixing for them specifically. Individual analysis and retraining takes approx a week per staff because I am thorough. If someone is treating you like a nuissance, then they definitely need the individual retraining.
    ShelLuser, 607, iNachos10 and 3 others like this.
  2. Yeah I know :p I've just noticed a lot of people bringing up bashing in this thread. I will let you know if it happens again.
  3. I agree, well said :)
    iNachos10 likes this.
  4. This thread got a bit off topic it seems to me. Then Krysyy comes in and cools it off. Thanks Krysyy :)
    iNachos10 likes this.
  5. I know Krysyy already responded but meh, it's that time of the year again...

I think there's a very important thing to note here. Just because someone is a staff member doesn't mean that everything they do or say is done so as a staff representative. So unless those comments were targeted at you (where you'd be fully aware of the context they're in) then I don't think you're in a position to judge.

True story: A few weeks ago Corq was working on his residence and he got stuck. Most likely a lag issue: the thing when you remove a block, the server deems it removed and your client still think its there. We were chatting (partly in town chat) and when I read that he had issues I tp'd over, he gave me a temporary build flag and I helped him out. So far, so good.

Then we started goofing around a bit. Context: he was working on his quadrant (4 adjacent residences) and because we were moving back and forth we ended up using local chat. As you may know local chat doesn't stick to just 4 residences.

I'm not going to repeat everything we did, we had a really fun time, and I ended up finding myself banned from his 3rd residence :D (and it was well deserved too!).

Here's the point I'm getting at: if you happened to be listening in on that local chatter then I'm quite sure that you may have picked up some comments as rude and abusive. Note: from the both of us. But fact of the matter was that we were both having a fun time, we knew the other understood perfectly well what we were doing and we had fun. This wasn't about a staff member educating an obnoxious player nor about a well respected player getting mistreated by a staff member. This was about 2 players being in a really funny mood and having some quality fun together.

Reason I brought this up is because some days ago a player came up to me and told me that he felt sorry that I had been banned from Corq's 3rd residence. After which I couldn't help laughing it out for the next minutes or so, because he was convinced that this was a very serious issue I had to deal with.

Unless you know the context of those messages (or actions) taken by staff members then you really don't know anything.

Upcoming December 7th I will have been here for 1 year myself and quite frankly I can't recognize myself anywhere in your comments.

First the easy comment: you're leaving out the part of what you said to them. Depending on what you said I can well imagine that senior staff won't respond to just about every comment they get. This is a rather one sided story.

Of course so is mine. But I have had nothing but positive experiences. Even when they were kinda bad :p

I also had some small run-ins with staff. I even bugged one particular senior staff member several times about the same issue (with several weeks or so in between) and every single time I got a friendly, mature, but still firm response. I refuse to share what this was all about but for the record I can say that it was about something I did (nothing too extensive) which did indeed friction with some rules.

Finally I even sent out a suggestion to this staff member about the issue, he took his time to motivate why he couldn't really respond to it and got Kryssy involved after which she took her sweet time to carefully go over the whole thing again (including my small mishaps, which then had been .... 3 months behind me?) and explained the whole thing once again.

I have to stress this out: this was a totally unimportant issue, I even mentioned that myself in my conversation a few times, and on the grand scale of "EMC impact" I think this probably sits at... 0,000001%. Yet both the senior staff member as well as Krysyy took their time to go over it, respond and suggest because they realized that although this really didn't matter at all it still mattered to me.

Why I'm sharing this? Because I know staff members "elsewhere" who wouldn't even have bothered with this at all.

The problem with these stories, yours and mine, is that they're one sided comments. They don't add anything useful, other than venting some personal opinions.

My take is simple: the staff aren't here to win popularity contests, they're here to make sure we all play along nicely. And most of all the staff aren't robots: they're normal people too. Who will also have a personal opinion about players and such.

So obviously it is perfectly possible for a staff member not to respond to attempts at befriending them while they will quickly jump into action when you really need 'm. That's not being rude; it's what any other player also usually does.

Just my 2 cents obviously.
    607, iNachos10, RainbowChin and 5 others like this.
  6. I am going to chime in here a little bit.

like krysyy says, we go through a training period, but in our training it is not guaranteed we get every single thing, so after training.. there might be some molding going on still.

i know of a certain issue that i handled like a month after i became a mod.
    i handled something i was 130% sure i was doing right, i felt i had seen other staff handle the thing this way. so i did with 100% certainty. but the player totally disagreed, they contacted krysyy, it was a 1 day tempban,
    krysyy went over the whole thing, and saw I!! yes ME! I was over reacting, like 7k steps over reacting!
    i had tempbanned a player for .... nothing! when i thought i was doing what i was supposed to.

the players ban was lifted, unfortunately not as fast as it should have, since krysyy was busy when it happened. BUT!!
    i got a lesson learned. i was taught the RIGHT! way to handle a situation that i was in.

so if you feel like a staff member has treated you unfairly.. tell krysyy! she will look at it. she will be 100% unbiased about it. and if you are right. she will teach us the right way about things.
    And, I am grateful the player complained about me.
  7. "Staff I've never heard of" gets mentioned a lot, and we answer the same each time.

Remember, there are 10 servers. You will regularly play on your primary server, and not spend as much time on EVERY single SMP at EVERY single time zone...

These staff you never heard of? Could be an extremely well known player on another SMP. This has been a STRONG case for a few select mods I've seen before, where people were all like "Who are these people" but they were very well known on their SMP.

So don't forget that... No one can be well versed in every SMP community. We look at who applied, and review them. they obviously have to be active to be chosen.
  8. I love the staff for the most part and how they handle things has been top notch from what I have seen.

One thing I do feel like mentioning, though, is that there are a couple of staff that seem to be very inactive but do not have an inactive notice on their profile, so they should surely be doing things? Yet they don't seem to be. I don't want to name any names so please PM me if you wish to discuss it in more detail.

As I said, all other staff apart from those that seem to be inactive are amazing from what I have seen.
    iNachos10 and HannahEB like this.
  9. A lot of these threads seem to be one-sided. The staff might not think they're doing anything wrong, or maybe they're not having a good day and don't respond with all of the enthusiasm in the world. Just a thought.
    iNachos10 and AyanamiKun like this.
  10. This is turning into a "bash-the-staff"
    kind of thread, enough is enough, everyone. :mad:
    By the way, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving,
    and don't forget to say thanks! :)
  11. honestly this thread is becoming a "this is a bash thread" kind of thread, lol. So meta. After maybe the half of the second page, things cool down.

I've got my complaints of the staff. A lot of people do, of some sort.

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude, so I'm just gonna post it and pay for the consequences later :p
    I think it'd be an interesting idea if we had two community managers working. I can't explain why, but I've always had a difficult time approaching krysyy with issues.
  12. Nice idea, but I don't know how it would work out, though... :rolleyes:
  13. You should tell Krysyy why you feel uncomfortable/bothered. She will probably not take it personally and she will make sure to fix it, she wants everyone to feel comfortable and safe on EMC:)
    Tahitan, ShelLuser, iNachos10 and 2 others like this.
  14. at some point we were talking about staff bashing recently... I ended up here. I have read this all before except the last few posts. I too have a problem approaching kryssy. kryssy we need to talk. I think you are pretty and I can't talk to pretty girls *runs away scared* anyways, staff stop being so mean! lol
  15. This was an old thread. The policies have been adjusted since then.

/Thread
    ShelLuser and SoulPunisher like this.
  16. The best way to get a staff, I recommend choosing wizard ;)
    ShelLuser, Roslyn and UltiPig like this.
  17. did i comment in this thread....why am i getting notifications from it haha.

oh well, long story short talk to krysyy, if u dun wanna talk to krysyy talk to me and ill yell at krysyy if ya wanna be anonymous. either way its her job to keep the other knuckleheads in line
  18. Would it help if I changed my avatar to something else? I con't want you afraid to talk to me for any reason.
    It's true. He will. And often at 3 in the morning or something...seriously regret handing over phone info in Florida 2013 (jkjk)
  19. Moose is in there too. He could just pretend you're the *pretty* dude in the picture.
  20. *phone rings*
    "Oh no, it's him again..."
    *mutes phone*
    *few seconds later*
    (on mumble) hi krysyy
    "-_-"

:p
    ShelLuser and MustangLover25 like this.