EMC Dragon Tombs Info

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would allow me to find locations and it will help prevent griefings and looting.
    AlexChance likes this.
  2. No it wont - the trail will still be there to lead people to where you've gone.

Live Map currently generates, what, 50,000 blocks of map around the Spawns?

For example, if you go out one direction in the Wild, past the pre-generated map, you leave a clear trail. Now, if that trail comes to a dead end, and there's no deviation from it, it's a fair bet to say someone's got something there.
    Just as if it's a straight line of cleared map, it probably means you've not come back, as what are the chances of you walking back in a straight line and only travelling the chunks you've already loaded?

Then, it's a case of just trying your luck to see what's at the end of the trails.

Or if you've got a base that's far out in the Wild, and you go to the Nether, if you spawn into the nether outwith the 50,000 generated blocks, it's like a big finger pointing to your location. A quick bit of maths and you know exactly where that it is in the Wild.

It makes much more sense to have 'fog of war' until you've explored it, like almost every other game does.
  3. i dunno about your server but theres trails going everywhere on mine the likelyhood that they would pick the right one and follow it all the way is like, astronomical
  4. It's not so much the Wild trails that matter, it's more the Nether trails. Anything outside the pre-gen map gives clear indication of activity at that site and it's just a case of Nether distance * 8 = Wild distance.

Fog of war is the way forward, having a map that just stays in the original state has lots of flaws in it, such as going to a biome that shows it's sand, but has actually been cleared out, or a forest that's been cut down, etc,etc.
  5. Maybe if you have /map hide on it will not load the areas around you to the live map? Making it an supporter feature.

EDIT: I am going to make this a separate suggestion thread.
  6. there are probably about 25 pages of answers to that question my friend pick one :D
  7. I asked the guy who designed Live Map about that and he said it was easy enough to do, just some minor tweaks. *shrugs*
    mba2012 likes this.
  8. Yeah the way the live map works it should not take too much work to do the changes we have come up with.
  9. Yes, I agree this does make sense. I have heard of players' bases getting griefed in the wild, destroying their camp. I forgot about that. :)
  10. Although I've certainly not read all 29 pages of posts, I'd like to comment about the "Unfairness" original egg owners have over everyone else. As an original egg owner myself, the only benefit I get is the ability to protect in the wilderness before anyone else. This gives me maybe a few days to a week before non egg owners can claim their own land. EMC's been running for what? Two years? I honestly can't see what a week difference is. Also, some of the original eggs (as previously mentioned) went between hands for millions of rupees. They were so difficult to obtain that it became and issue in the starting year of the server. This meant that there were only a total of five eggs throughout ALL of EMC. Supply and demand made the eggs a true treasure, and egg owners werent even REQUIRED to turn their eggs in. All in all, the true worth of these eggs has been shown throughout EMC's beginings, and should be majorly constituted into the minds of those who think an early claim on land with 20+ eggs is un-fair. Anyways, that's just what I've been thinking.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  11. 20+ eggs of claimed land is a vast area
    Pab10S likes this.
  12. We don't know how big the land is though? You might need 20 eggs to claim a single 16x16 area...
  13. i doubt it would be that small probly closer to 30 by 30 or 60x60
  14. My point was that we don't know.
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  15. 16x16 is a ridiculously small space for 20 eggs...
    This would equate to 3.577708764 x 3.577708764 (12.8 total blocks) per egg.
    How in the Minecraft universe would this be possible? What logical reasoning would this hold?

A bit more math, for the fun of it. :)
    30x30 for 20 eggs = 6.70820393 x 6.70820393 (44.9999999665 total blocks) per egg.
    60x60 for 20 eggs = 13.416407865 x 13.416407865 (180 total blocks) per egg.

Now, 30x30 for 1 egg, that is simple math. :)
    900 blocks for one egg.

Also, 60x60 for 1 egg, simple math. :)
    3600 blocks for one egg.

Now, lets say we get 16x16x256, even more distorted numbers....
    This gives us a total of 65536 blocks, which equates to 3276.8 blocks per egg, resulting in 3.577708764 x 3.577708764 x 256. Mathematically logical, Minecraft world, illogical. :)

This applies to the remaining 30x30 and 60x60 for 20 eggs.

Applying to exponential logic, as used in Minecraft, 16x16 for 1 egg is sensible. So is 32x32 or 64x64. :)

16x16x256 for 1 egg: 65536 total blocks. - this can make entire chunks inaccessible... Not good.

Now, for surface claims, it holds another issue, anything above and below the claimed layer is accessible by others to destroy/claim/etc.

16x16x1 for 1 egg: 256
    32x32x1 for 1 egg: 1024
    64x64x1 for 1 egg: 4096

This means you would need a single egg per layer.

Without the missing variables, such as claiming the entire chunk or claiming a section of it, this is a difficult process to understand. This is only a small portion of what will be holding up the progress of claimable land in the wild. :)
    Cost ratio, sizes, etc. need to be worked out first.... then comes the coding side of it all...
    DogsRNice and mba2012 like this.
  16. This was posted in August last year and there's still nothing??
  17. Things keep pushing it back.... Sadly..

as much as I wish I could work on EMC all day, I have a day job + like to do things in the evenings too, so mc updates, bugs, performance, more important work etc always pushes tombs back
    mba2012 likes this.
  18. Dang Aikar, I thought you knew you weren't supposed to have a job and just sit and code minecraft and chug Monster all day? :p
    jkjkjk182, NINJATTILA and mba2012 like this.
  19. I still can not wrap my mind around why dragon tombs > land protection. Just make land protection its own thing and put it in place already. There are dozens of land protection plug ins available that work perfectly well. I don't understand how there is not one out there that will not work for emc - or can not be tweaked or created to do so. This is the biggest reason I do not play on EMC much any longer.

Lets think clearly here - a dragon boss that people can go in and kill and say yay... then what - people will do it a couple of times, then get board of it and will only be doing them for eggs. A system that seems to be so complex that it has taken ages to get completed.

OR - a protection system that will let people protect the things that are important to them in the wild, and will cut down on the amount of griefing by leaps and bounds. A type of protection that is available on many servers and would likely be easy enough to put into place.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.