EMC Dragon Tombs Info

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by IcecreamCow, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haha, I suppose it is!
  2. you are looking at the word vain as a bad word
    having vanity in your work literally means wanting others to look at _(whatever it might be)_ the original etymology comes from two words which means to bask in glory.
    not wanting your stuff destroyed implies that you want it to be seen again (even if just by yourself) thus (from the original comment i made) protected areas is more of a vanity project then adding new mobs and content
    comprende?
  3. I do see what you mean, although I'm not sure I agree haha :p

I wouldn't call adding protected areas a "vanity project", as it's more than just wanting people to see our wild bases (For example, we don't make grinders for people to look at, we make them for a practical purpose). If you're constantly having to repair things, then that's stopping you playing MC properly at all, so it's more a case of giving people more freedom to actually play MC in the wild, in my opinion.
    Pab10S likes this.
  4. why don't you try and find a coder to help out? just dont get jeb he will ruin it
  5. It's a very simple concept, Quality > Rushing a quick solution out the door.

We've said numerous times that Dragon Tombs will be the path one must walk in order to earn the right to claim land in the wild..

We want a solid, quality product to deliver to the players.

If you value getting quick results without polish over quality and well implemented design, then EMC is not the place for you.
    mba2012, Twitch1 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  6. Aikar or IcC i haz question:

How rare exactly will these tombs be?
  7. Thats a hard question to answer really.

We will be tweaking that a lot after release to find the good balance.

If its too rare that only 1 person finds it in a month... then thats a huge problem, but if we got 50 going on per day, thats too common.

Will simply be changing it until we find what we fill is the sweet spot.

Our goal is to let everyone have good potential to do the event often.
    Original egg owners will no longer care about how rare the dragon eggs are soon.
  8. Ok cool, i was just hoping it wasnt gonna be like so rare only a few people will find them.
  9. It's very clear to me that you haven't played on these servers with the "various wild claiming tools". We actually spent a weekend server jumping to try them all out and I'm sorry, but the way all the other "functioning" ones work are crap. I'd much rather have it done the EMC way than rush a crappy one to make one or two people happy enough to play on EMC. If someone thinks that we're doing that because we're "full of ourselves" then they obviously don't understand the value of what EMC is.

MANY people have told us (over the one or two that want us to be a plug and play server like you seem to want) that the reason they play on EMC is because we do things right instead of rushing them to make the super super minority stop complaining. So, if having a cheap wild protection plugin that's confusing and in my opinion would cause more issues than non-issues is something preventing you from enjoying EVERYTHING we have to enjoy here, EMC was never really for you.
    mba2012, talukegord and AmusedStew like this.
  10. Actually I have played on servers with land protection plug ins, and I have spent more than a "weekend" doing so. There are many that run quite smoothly and are not hard at all to use.

What is preventing me from enjoying emc is the fact that YOU have allowed the griefers and random kids, who don't seem to be able to understand the concept that just because something isn't tied down doesn't mean they can have access to it, to take over the server. Which is exactly why you don't have more people complaining. Why would they complain about something being in place that would stop them from achieving their goals? You act like plug and play plug ins are so bad. Is Aikar really so wonderful that there is no one out there who can write a code up to par to his high standards? That is a whole lot of bull hockey. So instead, its been nearly a year since protections have been promised - the scum of emc are getting stronger in numbers while the good folks are being run off. How is this beneficial to anyone? The idea that EMC rushes anything has become laughable. A year to get something done - that most mc servers have. /shrug
  11. Again, yes there are things out there, but none of them are up to the standard WE want to have for EMC. If you want to play on servers that all have the same kind of thing, you are clearly very welcome to go play there. If you want a CUSTOM and fun experience that's not like them, then you'll stay on EMC where, yes things take a little longer, but for a VERY good reason. ;)

I'm sure there are many wonderful coders out there. However, I'm not sure how many of them would choose their free time to help EMC as much as Aikar has. Aside from that, EMC can't just always throw on custom plug and play things (not that we would want to, lol) as it would conflict with how different we've become than other servers. Whether or not you want a very plain/similar experience on those servers or a custom one on EMC is completely up to you...however, we're not going to go backwards in our progress that 99% of the people appreciate to become "just another server" which the 1% can easily find somewhere else.

This is completely backwards as to how it's really going. We have more tools than ever to catch hackers/griefers and have been catching/banning them on a much larger scale from the past.
    mba2012, Twitch1 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  12. Yes is the simple answer to that, EMC is not a simple bukkit server that every tom and his friends can set up in 30 minutes, the sever is modified heavily - I'm sure any land protection plugin would not be 100% compatible with EMC and would require an awful lot of code changes, at which point it will most likely be easier to create a new plugin from scratch that is evolved around what EMC need's not what Tom and Bill's 5 person single world bukkit server needs.
    mba2012, Twitch1, jkjkjk182 and 2 others like this.
  13. I know most of the custom code written specifically written for EMC can't simply be plugged into a bukkit server. There are a lot of things in place that make these special and unique things possible. Some of the staff has had the opportunity to see some of the upcoming features and additions and we can all agree that it is well worth the wait.

And as Joshposh70 mentioned just before this. Quite a few Mainstream plug-ins not only don't fit with EMC, but are simply incompatible. This is an opportunity to not only do something different but better
    mba2012 and Twitch1 like this.
  14. We already have a land protection plugin installed... It's been there since the server started.

You might of heard of it, its called Residence and has been used in town for a while.

I could probally modify it to work in the wild within 2 weeks.... but were not going to. We have a plan for how all this works, and that involves dragon tombs, and dragon tombs involves other things, and etc etc.

Were not throwing out our vision just to rush a quicker solution out.
  15. Yet this is only so because you set your mind to something, then come hell or high water, that is how it is going to be. Even if a problem is staring you strait in the face - that needed a solution a year ago. Your rigid need to do things in this 1 2 3 manner is going to have EMC crumbling around your feet. A good leader has to be able to understand the NEEDS of the people and bend to fix problems as they occur. You can not see a problem and say - "I will get to it when I get to it." Then a year later - "I'll fix it when I'm ready"

You are saying - SPECIFICALLY - that you can solve this problem easily and quickly - yet you are purposely putting it off for the sake of something else. While your players are forced to clean up mess after mess that they are needlessly being made to deal with. Simply because you can not handle changing your "plans".
  16. I'm going to suggest you stop commenting negative things towards Aikar when the community already knows how wrong you are involving it. Aikar has brought many ideas to the table that the MAJORITY of the community has torn apart. He literally took those ideas and remade them. I'm sure you might remember the epic Aikar shop idea battle from last year (or maybe you don't as you seem to not have any facts about him and how he operates here).

He and other members have stated to you many times already that EMC is much different than a plug and play server which you seem to want. You even stated in a past argument, I remember, that EMC no longer fits your play style as you want pure vanilla. Well, EMC has never been pure vanilla and adding protection goes more against that, so I'm not quite sure what your end goal here is by trying to bash Aikar's hard work.

To end this all, it's very very clear you don't want what EMC is, and it's probably best you go and find another server that simply throws together things just for the sake of doing it and not for making a quality experience...becuase you'll never find that here at EMC.
  17. You're forgetting something though - EMC was and still pretty much is current a town focused server...

we are TRANSITIONING to supporting wild style play too. That transition is not complete. If you're unsatisfied with the speed of the transition, then simply wait until it is done before returning to EMC.

We do not receive many grief reports at all.... So I'm not sure why you think griefing is some rampant problem destroying EMC, it is not.
  18. I hear many more people (in game) talking about wishing that they could fight the dragon than i hear people talking about any form of griefing. Just saying.
    mba2012, bitemenow15, Twitch1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Yep...

Every time I login I get asked about Dragon Tombs, not Land Claiming.

And those who do ask about land claiming are usually for the teleporting feature.

Most people settled in the wild don't have griefing problems because they are far out there....
  20. I only tried one or two other servers before EMC and they required you to claim land if you didn't want it griefed. You first had to contact the mayor of a town and then either pay them the 2,000 in game currency or go and get your own diamond block to claim a place. They had shops but they were closed. Half the mayors didn't get on and when you tried to go mining, you were hunted down and PVP'd.

Most people don't want others to look at their wild base or grinder as most come out just to grief the ever loving crap out of it. I don't want it to be destroyed because I took the time to build my wild house and I don't want to have to worry whether or not I'm going to die and spawn all the way back at Spawn because some butthead griefed my bed. If I want to build something for everyone to see that's what town is for.

I guess due to being part of one outpost that just got hit with wave after wave, I don't care to deal with it all again. If I build anywhere it's way out on the map now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.