(DISSCUSSION) North Korea

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mrlegitislegit, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Religious person please. Who DOES like North Korea? Me and my dad are discussing this on Facebook right now. I talk better in text than I do IRL.
    Homefront is a game C: I brought up in this thread a few pages back. Also, watch this:
  2. I've always been interested in North Korea because their is a lot that we don't know about them which is why this scares me.
  3. The North Koreans could hit the United states with their medium range missiles (think Alaska and Hawaii, both of which are part of the US). Using their long range missile, which we all know they tested "putting their satellite into space", they could theoretically hit the northern part of the state of Washington. Secondarily, if North Korea chose to hit a territory of the US rather than a state, then it could choose from Midway Island or Guam, both of which are much closer than Hawaii.
    It is also possible, however highly unlikely, that North Korea could somehow smuggle the "miniatuarised" nuclear war heads it supposedly has into certain cities in the US and detonate them that way.
    If North Korea wants to create a war, it will.
    mba2012 likes this.
  4. This post is probably one of the first post's that has any sense. Because it is not written by an American.
  5. Please do not call me that.
    i do not call you Atheist person, do i?
  6. Thats not how he meant it
    Squizzel_Boy and SoulPunisher like this.
  7. Still, i do not like name >.<
  8. North Korea currently has the firepower to hit Hawaii. This is as far as their missiles can reach.
    America has radars in place to target launched objects from foreign countries which is capable of launching a missile against the missed to detonate it before it hits the U.S.
  9. The actual New York footage was taken from a Call of Duty game (MW3). Their state propaganda site removed it after a copyright claim was made by Activision.

Apparently copyrights can defeat them but America can't. :p
    Unfortunately I don't think it'll end up working like that because effectively, all of the Kim's are nutters IMO lol.
    It's an interesting topic for some, including me.
    mba2012 likes this.
  10. I'm afraid the (most of) diplomats and government agencies do not really know nor understand what is going on in N.K. It is not easy to understand when you have never experienced anything even remotely comparable. Living in a society like that for decades deeply changes, deteriorates the culture and mentality of the people. This also applies to the people in power. They live in a profoundly different world. You can hardly compare the mind set of the people there with anything you know.
    We know with a good degree of certainty that a society like that will break from within, but one might wonder how long it can take.
    Humans are very adaptable species...

I don't think sanctions and threats are really a good way.
    The best way would be to just be nice to them, call them friendly,
    even give them some bites of food (but not enough, of course)
    and wait for the time to do its work. Their economy will crumble.
    It's actually quite simple in that aspect.

Why the US and other powers don't just do that?
    Well, that's a quite complex and sad story :(

A very disturbing aspect is that threats with war and destruction
    have negative effect on the mental health of the whole world even
    if it is very unlikely that a war will happen. Especially on US and S.K.

What we can learn (again!) is that a society with authoritarian power,
    partitioned in more and less privileged classes, where their income,
    their social and economic status does not depend on ones competences,
    capabilities and hard work but on relation / connection to the party in power,
    does not work long term. The unnatural system makes the economy crumble.
    L0tad, 72Volt, mba2012 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nope. But i'd like it if you did C:
  12. I believe we have been sending them food aid for years. It appears it is one of our few bargaining chips with them. I'll try to do some research and get some solid numbers.
  13. Precisely where we are headed here in America...
  14. They are indeed, but everyone can be de-nutterized. With this attrition campaign of familiarisation of the philosophies of the international community, surely at first some minor aspects of these philosophies will influence North Korean governance at first, then eventually Mr. Kim could adopt larger-scale changes, over many years or a few decades. All of this could be supplemented with aid as a reward if Mr. Kim implements such policies, and slowly but surely, North Korea will improve.

I don't think it's really fair to just leave them to die, as Manic suggested, I believe a more positive and compassionate approach should be taken.
  15. Twitch1 likes this.
  16. I'm not sure about that. And even if: at what cost?
    Living for decades in self-delusion makes people really, really believe.

That's a hard issue.
    I'm not suggesting to let people die, but to wait until the economy dies.
    Physically, they will survive, most of the families.
    In some other aspects, they are already zombies.
    It takes generations for a society to recover from that.

Unfortunately, the privileged classes can not even imagine losing privileges, and as long as they have power, the general situation won't change. The easiest and smoothest way for their power and privileges to vanish is when their economy fails.

When their money, gold, jewels and residences are not worth any (self-) bragging any more, for example when higher party officials realize that an average engineer in the civilized world has 3 times higher standard of living and immensely healthier life with less than 50 hours of work per week, then they can start to understand.

Within this process, we can calculate with the fact that their self-deception is strong enough to blind them, so that they won't realize how deep they sink until it is too late and really hopeless, so that they might give it up without fight - especially if there will be a bridge for them, for example a possibility to take their gold and jewels and flee, or change the skin over the night and (try to) become capitalist (and mostly fail because of degenerated mentality).

That privileged classes stuff is a very powerful thing.
    As a remote example, you can even observe that on EMC.
    Explain the people that it would be better for everyone without free rupees and watch responses.
    In this situation, it is probably the easiest and the best way to let the nature do its work:
    inflation and increase in prices until the privilege is worthless. How will it end?
  17. Definitely not. The people have been brainwashed by careful and thought-out propaganda IMO, and really do believe that the US is evil. This isn't their fault, it's the governments.

I live in the West of Australia - where mining is "our thing". We sell pretty much everything we mine in our deserts to China, they're investing in our companies as we speak so unfortunately for us if worse comes to worst and China and North Korea come together militarily speaking, we're most likely getting invaded in the early days...
    Squizzel_Boy and mba2012 like this.
  18. My reaction if something actually goes down with North Korea

But being, serious here, there is still a possibility that a war might happen, and people who think that there won't be one are misled. I believe it's going to either lead to war or a treaty. Who knows.
    L0tad and mba2012 like this.
  19. I'm South Korean, and I don't believe it's being offensive rather just discussing North Korea
    Twitch1 and mba2012 like this.