Discussion Thread: Flying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hasorko, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Does a flying perk fit in EMC?

Yes 27 vote(s) 30.0%
No 39 vote(s) 43.3%
Undecided 6 vote(s) 6.7%
My opinion about that is more complex than Yes / No 18 vote(s) 20.0%
  1. Yeah. That was kind of my point, haha. Almost everything we could do could (and probably will) get argued by someone at some point. To you it might be silly to argue the shop thing I mentioned, but to another they could feel as passionate about it as you are about flying. Know what I mean? It's one of those: "to each their own" deals.
    PirateOfDW likes this.
  2. I acknowledge this point and concede it's legitimacy. :D I think I will post the time reduction question as a poll for public opinion.
  3. Maybe some people's and possibly a bit of my whole issue with this flying thing could also be a tinge of jealousy? Basically the entire 200+ days I have been here the only events I have seen that include everyone are April Fools which allowed the Mods to change into mobs, Mob Arenas, that one day of disguise craft and every now and then some free rupees. I live paycheck to paycheck, sometimes I don't even have my rent and I don't even know if I'm gonna have the money for the internet let alone trying to fit in 5, 10, 20 for supporter. I was gifted my supporter ship for one month and the map feature is about the only thing I would even pay for a supporter-ship for if I knew I would have the $5 each month. There are kids who will never get to experience any of these perks because their parents won't spend the money on a subscription/supporter-ship. Now suddenly Diamond get to fly in Utopia town, everyone is still waiting for these "Super Awesome Updates" that we were promised several months ago and we're being told we need to recruit more people just so we're going to be able to fly for a week/48 hours/whatever. I guess I'm just trying to stick up for everyone who feels left out and is too afraid to say anything or they'll be banned. I try hard not to post anything to get banned or to start a fight or drama but when I need to I say something I do.
  4. ...they're still coming, and I don't believe we ever promised to release them months ago? If we did and I'm mistaken I'm sorry, but I'm almost certain we knew these updates would take a while due to it being done by basically one person and always said it's release was a TBA. :)
  5. Sorry, I didn't mean we were promised them to come out right then, it's just that they were announced months ago and everyone is still waiting. It's like we were told we're getting something and each day it's not here so people are just kinda getting tired of waiting/assuming they're not coming.
  6. I guess the best thing we can do is ask people to be patient, haha. Aikar does his best I know to make an update post with everything we have going on which is kept as up to date as possible, but we are only so many people trying to do so much, though it would be nice to have IRL creative mode to get things done faster. ;)
    jrm531, jkjkjk182 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  7. I Totally Could Use This!! :D

Edit: Sorry I know its off topic...
    vividOptimism likes this.
  8. I agree with Miss Panda here, and perhaps its not so much about the fact that it is taking a long time to get them done. I think the problem is that we might feel like you guys keep taking your eyes off the ball? It feels like you guys promised us these big deal items a long time ago, my main concern is protection in the wild - I'm not overly excited about the dragon thing - good, bad, or otherwise.

So it feels like you guys keep feeding us these little things to keep us sidetracks - when in reality, most of us realize that all of these little things are just taking up Aikars valuable time. (Like the random changes to enderchests thread a while ago.) While these things might be fine to throw on a list to get to later - We are anxious to see the progress on the big ticket items.
    nerone94 likes this.
  9. Well, I can answer this one easily. The amount of time it takes to program big things like that are beyond what people like you or even myself could imagine dedicating to something. When you're working on something for as long as they do (multiple hours a day of staring at code) it's very easy to get burnt out on things. Breaks are needed with the big ticket items...Aikar is only human after all. Instead of just not doing anything during those breaks, he dedicates more of this time to adding things to keep everyone entertained while they wait for those items.

Don't think of it as, he's wasting his big ticket time on smaller things. Think of it as BREAK time he was going to take anyways, but dedicating it to giving you more fun. :)
    Twitch1 likes this.
  10. You also have to remember that Aikar didn't start EMC with Justin and Jeremy. In fact, he's only been on for a year (almost exactly) so he's not really tied to bringing out these cool updates to keep it fresh. Without Aikar, Justin would be as busy as he is so pretty much NONE of these updates would be out. I don't know about you guys, but I think that's pretty awesome dedication.

I know that it's that's not your point, but it's something to consider. :)
  11. There are some people getting incredibly over-excited about a minor implementation.

Lets look at the facts:

• Flying is only possible in Utopia Town

- How many non-Supporters actually bother to visit Utopia? Not many, not many at all. So if there is a fantastic build on Utopia that was made through flying, who does it actually affect? Hardly anyone. Who actually sees it? Again, not that many people when all is said and done.
    • It doesn't make builds easier, it just makes them quicker

- I'm a busy guy. I have lots of Real Life commitments that place strong demands on my time. If I were Diamond, Flying wouldn't make a build easier - I'd still have to gather or buy the resources, plan it out, dig away dirt, place blocks, etc. Flying simply makes it quicker for me to do the dull bits, so I can have more fun and achieve more with my time.
    • EMC isn't survival, so it can't ruin the Survival aspect

- People keep saying this. EMC is not Survival in town. It's Mini-Creative mode with an economy. You can't die in Town, hence no Survival. With the Voting Rupees, Daily Rupees and Referral bonuses, you could feasibly now, never leave Town and still make a great build. So flying isn't removing the Survival aspect, because there is none. Flying does not make EMC non-Survival, because in Town, it isn't Survival.
    • It'll ruin the game
    - Really? If you don't want to use Fly and you're Diamond, then you don't If it comes to the Regular servers for a week, and you don't want to use it, don't.
    If someone can use it to build a better Res, on a Creative-With-Economy-Server, where is the harm in that?

Really?

There are some interesting quotes as well:

I would've thought it was fairly obvious what the difference is, in that Flymod is an illegal mod which would allow you to fly anywhere in EMC, not just in town.
    I would like to think that they wouldn't implement something like this without having proper checks in place, and it can't be that difficult to have the system ignore flying from Diamond rank in Town, but to detect it anywhere else, as it currently does.

There is an awful lot of knee-jerk reactions to this.

Answer me this:

A very popular and oft voted for perk, is Residence Clearance - whereby you can pay Rupees to have all the dirt in your Res cleared.

Does that suddenly make it Creative? Does that take away the essence of the game? Of course not - it saves you mind-numbing hours of completely and utterly pointless digging.
    Yet if it were ever to happen, there'd still be folk going; "Oh noes!"

The top tip here is:

Relax, enjoy the game as you are, don't panic about what this will change (Because it will change nothing) and carry on.
  12. Wise words and excellent explanation!

Bravo! :D
    kilmannan likes this.
  13. Eh In a week I play around...

lets see.

12 hours a day times 7 is 84 hours?

I'm pretty sure someone could build something epic in 84 hours.
  14. I don't see what all the fuss is about, if you don't like it then don't use it. If you dont want ppl to fly over you res just set it to /res set move false and then give perms to the players you want to access your res.

As for ppl with shops you could close it for a week, that would limit supplies to players that may want to make epic builds, but I just don't see it as a problem. It a nice perk for some, its only in town and its temp for 1 week.

I think we should be thankful to the staff who have and are making our player experience better all the time, we just may not all enjoy some of the perks although temp but I am sure a lot will.
    bonzd67 likes this.
  15. :D

Offtopic/
    You and I need to go on a murdering spree again soon in BF3 my friend - I hope those Uni chicks haven't distracted you from the important things in life! ;)
    / Offtopic
  16. A few points (that have been made in past posts, and elsewhere) that are extremely important, and I feel need to be mentioned again.

A flying perk for Diamond Supporters on a single server in a single area is a mild perk at best. There is no real advantage other than some MILD time savings. If anyone argues this then you also need to argue the residence teleport system and the /res tpset command, as they accomplish a similar goal. And if you are arguing that, well you might as well start arguing for removal of the /v command - because to keep EMC vanilla, we should have to walk to residences - right?

Lets look at the positives. Utopia residences are massive. The potential for utterly ridiculous and amazing creations is limitless. Utopia should be a show piece town. Now, those of us with residences there can truly have the power to build these masterpieces. And the best part about it.... The creations are still legitimate. They were created with legitimate resources - obtained by exploration and gathering or through player shops, which should boost the economy for all of you shop owners out there. And given the lack of shops on utopia, the spread of rupees will be wide across all the servers.

I have not seen a single worthy downside to this. And I am not saying that because I am bias, I had no idea about this perk prior to its post on the main page.
  17. Aye Matey, how about next monday :D? (21st)
  18. I personally have no qualms with the utopia server having fly. I completely agree it is a showpiece server and I think this falls in line with that. However the issue I have you did not mention and that is the 1 week perk of flying for ALL servers. After that you will never know what was truly a legitimate build or not and that hurts everyone's credibility whether you used the perk or not. Imo 24hrs would be much more appropriate. Believe me I think it will be a blast and hope we meet the goal.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  19. If the worry is that people aren't using Utopia to its full potential, then you cannot limit it to such a small pool of people as are the supporters. Iron gets no residence. There are only so many people able to pay a month, so your argument that you are worried about people not using the residences to their potential is your fault, not ours.

to be quite honest, 60x60 is plenty big for most builds that people want to do, and the builds that are bigger or too big usually take a collection of people to create regardless. I don't see how a week of flying in ALL servers is a way of advertising anything, because they still would only be allowed to fly in ONE server. Why not give everybody across all servers 24 Hours of access to Utopias Wild? In my opinion, that is the only thing about Utopia that is worthwhile. Big residences are great and all, but I have never found myself at want for more space on any of my current residences as it is.

Another big issue I don't see addressed is the fact that you basically have thrust this upon all potential and current supporters. In the past, we have asked for perks and gotten maybe 1 or 2 implemented. i know there are a LOT of current things people want that take much higher precedence than this and that would bring a LOT more allure to diamond than this is. but we weren't asked for our opinion. You made a decision, and went for it. To me this seems like a cop out of "Well, we just gave you flying. That's it for now." when really we have wanted a lot of other things besides this.

Also, as said above, this benefits very little to nobody on the server. Most people don't even USE utopia that often, and the ones that do most likely will be in the wild somewhere. Of all the things that would be useful you could give, why this? Why something that at its core is likely to inspire controversy? It seems like a grab for more supporters to me, but even then its not really that alluring at all unless somebody has never really experienced Utopia life at all.

I do think that Towers of dirt to reach high places makes a build more amazing. If every build in the empire were built using Flying, none of them would be impressive. Knowing somebody put the extra time into building something hard, that is impressive. The more difficult a build, the more impressive it is. If you plan on using Utopia as a "showcase" server for the empire, then every single build on there will have an implied asterisk of *This build is great, but they used flying to make it.

For serious, experienced builders, that is just silly. I would be impressed by no build that used flying to create. If anything, I think it damages the reputation of any build someone sees on Utopia.
    PandasEatRamen and RainbowChin like this.
  20. *Wall of Text Thread: Flying
    I vote to have the thread name changed to this lol