Discussion Thread: Flying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hasorko, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Does a flying perk fit in EMC?

Yes 27 vote(s) 30.0%
No 39 vote(s) 43.3%
Undecided 6 vote(s) 6.7%
My opinion about that is more complex than Yes / No 18 vote(s) 20.0%
  1. To each their own. :)
  2. When it effects more than one person, not sure this can apply fairly.
  3. No, when it does, it's the only thing that does.

You may feel that dirt towers are works of art, while others see them as a waste of time while both instances end up with the same awesome creation.

Neither person is right or wrong, because it's their opinion. :)
  4. Its not the towers that make the art, it's the effort. When you take that effort away, it makes any build suddenly pedestrian.
    HylianNinja likes this.
  5. Again, that's a very welcome opinion that you hold and you're okay for having it...just as someone who disagrees with you is also welcome and okay for theirs.
  6. The people who disagree never asked for this perk. Everyone was fine without it, so the question remains: Why this, rather than something we have been asking for a long time? If there was a choice between this and something else, would you give us something we may want more? t seems divided between the people who dont want it on any server, and the people who dont really care because they never even considered wanting it on here to begin with.
  7. This perk HAS definitely been asked for by players as much as other perks have as well. It really doesn't matter what we add or decide to bring to the server, there are people who will always have something positive and negative to say about it. We discuss it as a community and then move on to the next thing.

It's like the circle of life here, haha.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  8. I don't remember ever being asked if we should allow flying.
  9. No, we, were asked as staff to put it in place. Until now, we didn't see a proper place for it. We came up with what we did and felt it was acceptable. I'm sorry you disagree, but that's how it is.
  10. As with each and avery update, there are always going to be people who disagree with it.
    I bet that for every person who doesn't want this, there were people who don't want other updates like Dragon Tombs.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time"
    -Linclon (I think lol)
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. I don't see why a small group of people should effect your decision that is put in place over every person. I was a diamond supporter for at least half a year or more, and I don't remember ever asking or being asked about/for flying. Where are these discussions, and how can I be a part of them?
  12. Not every single thing is discussed in public. If that were the case NOTHING would ever get done or added. Again, read above in regards to this statement, I believe you missed what I said.
  13. How is this honestly being put over every person?
    It's being allowed for ONE world on ONE server for a select and small group of people.
    And IF we get it for everyone, you won't have to use it.

And how to get involved? Suggestion threads.
    There is usually one or two knocking around the forums.
  14. Hell, there's a whole box full! :D
    catwarrior7 and RainbowChin like this.
  15. When it is something as basic and relevant to minecraft as this, don't you think it should be? This isn't like Dragon tombs, where it will add something new to the core of the game. This is taking the core of the game and changing it. It's great that you realize we disagree, but with a lot of other decisions that haven't made the empire better in a lot of peoples eyes, you're basically saying "Suck it up".

Being Staff doesnt mean you know what is best for the community, or what they want. Neither does talking to the staffs favorite players. Wasn't there like 40k registered players? How many are active? Can we look at why people don't stay and figure that out instead? Saying "Suck it up, this is how it is now" probably won't help someone stay.

There is a lot of opposition to this, and it is a minor change that didn't need to be added. So why can't we discuss it, and see if its in the best interest of us all? Not being opposed to it isn't the same as being for it.
  16. Because it effects how people now see Utopia and Diamond supporter. Every new person that comes in will see Utopia this way, and I am not convinced it is a good image.
  17. The problem is YOU dislike it and you're making it a big deal. Like you said...it's so VERY minor that you shouldn't be so upset about it. You're saying we need to remove it because some people don't like it...guess what though...some people DO. So you're saying, ignore the ones that do because you're upset? Sorry, can't do that with something that's literally not affecting YOUR gameplay in a negative way (0ther than your personal views, which we can't make EVERYONE'S happy all the time.)

Please don't make it seem like we are out to hurt the community when you're not happy. It's quite the opposite and I don't know why people try to go there, lol.
  18. yep, although you seen to be seem to be reacting like it's so much more
    Steve IV joines the servers.
    "zomg Diamond supporters can fly around on Utopia town? That is so cool.
    I'm glad that it isn't on any other servers and doesn't affect the normal gameplay at all"
    End
  19. I love having the ability to fly in Utopia. Utopia is the Supporter's playground! We can do whatever we want there, within the limits of the 10 Commandments of Empire Minecraft.

I would never build anything on that 120x120 res without the ability to fly beyond 20-30 blocks high, a total waste of immense space. I just recently gave away nearly 120k to a contest. I did that because I prefer NOT to participate in the economy portion of Town. I lost my 20k Empire Firework when attempting to collect materials in the wild to protect it on my secondary Lot. I hate that fact but in the end, it was just a fun toy for a little while. I have no real use for it and enjoyed it while it lasted.

You guys could also argue that Fireworks are against the intended Minecraft mechanics here in EMC and yet not a single person complained as vehemently as people have about a fun perk for a non-standard EMC server.

Utopia: any real or imaginary society, place, state, etc, considered to be perfect or ideal.
    This can be applied to Town on EVERY Server. No death, no hunger, no monsters, no combat....

Our Utopia server exists for people who have the money and are willing to pay either $10 or $20/month to keep EMC up and running. Long ago, Diamond and Gold had no differentiating facets and so everyone was paying for 2 Gold for their main and alt. So then TNT was approved for Diamond only. Now Diamond has fly on a Utopian playground Town and the most vocal members are up in arms as if Diamond was given GOD Mode on all servers in all worlds. Being able to fly in Utopia Town is not going to cause an increase of goods on the player market or increased griefing on other servers. The arguments so far are not significant to persuade anyone to side with the negative opinions.

Feeling that flying takes away from the creativity of a build is only an opinion. It is not a fact. Jeremy already pointed out that many of the builds in EMC are copied and then improved upon from Youtube...

I hope one day that a new feature will not create such a large divide between community members again, but I am not naive enough to believe that EMC will become a Utopian society... :)