Discussion Thread: Flying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hasorko, Jan 17, 2013.

?

Does a flying perk fit in EMC?

Yes 27 vote(s) 30.0%
No 39 vote(s) 43.3%
Undecided 6 vote(s) 6.7%
My opinion about that is more complex than Yes / No 18 vote(s) 20.0%
  1. The problem I see is that the Empire is no longer a town with a wilderness. Especially not on Utopia. It is more a town with a few people who still go into the wilderness to mine or, on the rare occasion, live. I have been in a wild outpost for a very short time now, and find it immensely moer satisfying than Town ever was. The novelty of town wears off after a while when you realize that its not a "Town" in any sense. It's more like an entirely new type of server, not an addition to the wild part of the server, which is what I think a town should be.

Add in now that you can fly in town, and it takes even more of the "Town" experience away. What's the point? If you never want to leave town, you don't have to. You can make tons of money without stepping outside of town a single time. In my opinion it represses the very core of minecraft, which is the surviving feeling of living in a hostile place.

As it is, all servers (Utopia at the top of the list) are more akin to peaceful mode than they are Survival. But even in peaceful you can't fly.
  2. I understand why you think that, however this only affects the Utopia server which is already not a regular server.
    There are a ton of thing on that server which makes it not "survivalish." Why would adding Flying to Utopia, and it
    is only Utopia and only for Diamond supporters, make the server anything less that it is.

Also for the one week promotion flying. It's just one week and it'll be here and gone before you realize. If you don't
    want to be part of it then don't play for a week.

I also understand the problem people are talking about with fly mods and all that. But as I've said before we have
    some Truly Amazing moderators, and I don't think any of them will allow anyone to get away with it.
  3. In my mind Utopia was never supposed to be that different. Just easier. A place for people to go and play with an easier time of it than the others, since they were paying for it. Adding something like flying makes it more of a creative server than a survival server. At which point, as has already been said, why not just MAKE it a creative server? Keep it contained, so that there is NO chance of it ever coming to other servers. If they decide that they can make more money by letting Diamond suporters fly on any server, would they?
  4. Just because you can fly doesn't make it creative mode or anything like creative at all. Last time I checked Creative mode allowed you to create items when ever and where ever your want. hmmm that doesn't sound anything like the feature they are adding for diamonds supporters on Utopia. Also I don't believe they have any intention nor will they in the future of letting people fly on the other servers (of course besides the little one week promotion).

Last but not least what about Utopia is not different than the other servers? No fall damage, No hunger damage, always day time I could go on but I think you get the idea.

I don't think one more feature like flying in the town on that server is going to ruin anything at all about these servers, but hey that's just my opinion right.
    IcecreamCow likes this.
  5. Hahaha!

That was perfect, thanks for that.
    talukegord likes this.
  6. I think some people are confused on the term "survival".

Everyone of course is free to their opinions...some people will like new features some won't...we can't ever make everyone happy on anything.

However, a small percentage of paying members being able to fly in town on one specific server has NO affect on the "survivalness" of it.

There is absolutely no way to legitimately 'not survive' while in town on Utopia....meaning there's nothing we could do/add to make it easier to die less than 0%, haha.

A LOT of users have told us that one of the reasons they don't use Utopia was because of it's bonus. It can get overwhelming to build something to completion on a 120x120 unless you have an ungodly amount of free time. This very minor addition might encourage more epic builds on a server that up until now hasn't gotten much love...even though it's potential is amazing.
    Twitch1, jkjkjk182, 5weety and 2 others like this.
  7. Most sense so far. However the one week bonus flying on all servers in my mind stands to invalidate all of the advertising the server does on being a "legit" server. A new person would have no idea which builds were legit and which weren't. How much could you build given a whole week with flying in town? End of story.
  8. Would people be happier if we lowered the length from like a week to 48 hours like we have planned for the double xp prize?

Please note that because we do promotions (promotions HAVE to be special or nobody would care at all) doesn't mean our entire server is going in that direction forever. :)
  9. Well see now I think that's a separate issue. Double XP would not affect the legitimacy of the builds on the server. I completely support lowering the flying reward down to 48 hrs. I mean really 24 hrs would be enough I would think. It'll be fun for like an afternoon.

EDIT: I didn't read that right. Double XP is already at 48 hrs. To answer your question again. Yes I think that would be very appropriate.
  10. I think a lot of people would like 48 hours more than a week, I however think a week is just fine.
    After all a week really isn't that much time when you think about it.
  11. And a year isn't that long compared to a millennium. We all know time is relative :p
  12. I wasn't only thinking of the Legitimacy of builds but what if we get a bunch of new people who think this server is permanent flying? They'll throw a tantrum if flying leaves and then those who do stay will get flymod and be banned.
    SoulPunisher and nerone94 like this.
  13. They're subject to the same standard of everyone else. If you read the rules of the site, which you're required to do before joining, you know those aren't allowed.

We get it everyday. (One of many of our rules broken. <I didn't know it was a rule.> "Did you read the rules like you agreed upon when you signed up? <Nobody reads that>.)

This is a typical conversation and they can't "trick" us. Haha.
    5weety likes this.
  14. I know but I'm just saying, in the rules it states NO FLYMOD, yet you guys are giving flying and wanting new members to join. It's kind of confusing. "Hey we don't want you to fly but we're going to let you fly."
    SoulPunisher and nerone94 like this.
  15. I'm really not concerned about new people showing up during the short window. I'm worried about my own experience being tainted. I haven't explored even a small fraction of all the servers. The bit that intrigues me the most was that all of the builds are legit. If fly was allowed for more than two or three days I wouldn't be able to have that same feeling of legitimacy. Tainted experience.

EDIT: Now don't get me wrong I am super excited about the idea of having fly for an afternoon. That will be pretty fun. We can't be all negative about this. Thx staff :D
    nerone94 likes this.
  16. Well that still holds true. You can't use a fly mod as we don't want you to fly, especially in the wild unless it's something we've added as a feature. You don't need to add any mods to use this feature, so there is no confusion. If you took the time to specifically add a mod to do wrong, you know what you were doing.
  17. So is the ONLY thing that makes something non-legit to you if someone didn't have to use dirt towers to build it? They still had to get the items, think of what they wanted to do, and then do it. There are a LOT of other things that, in my opinion would taint something being "legit" and I'm very much included in it. I'm not the most creative person in the world, so I've gone to Google and Youtube for ideas and even things to copy in my Minecraft world. I'm sure this is true for 99% of the builds out there.

To me, something like that makes something less legit than someone who say had their OWN idea and ended up saving 10 minutes in dirt building to make it.

In regards to your "edit" - I'm almost certain that more people will use the flying to go around and quickly see the Town in fun ways than they will to actually build with it. One thing I've noticed about the Community is they love their "breaks from building" now and then to do off the wall stuff. :p
    Twitch1 likes this.
  18. Hold up yo! The EMC currently advertises being legit with no restrictions on using unoriginal ideas. Flying so far is the only thing I have heard of up until this point that would jeopardize legitimacy.
    nerone94 likes this.
  19. Well, what I mean also. Some could argue that the economy ruins the legitimacy. One could literally never ever go to the Wild and still get items to make whatever they wanted.
    talukegord likes this.
  20. What I mean by legitimacy is that the blocks were placed one at a time by hand following all normal rules of minecraft physics from materials gathered or paid for. Some people could argue a lot of silly things all day but this imo is what we're really talking about.