Dance Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MoreMoople, Oct 14, 2019.

?

What types of dance have you tried?

Ballet 6 vote(s) 16.7%
Jazz 5 vote(s) 13.9%
Hip Hop 3 vote(s) 8.3%
Contemporary 4 vote(s) 11.1%
Tap 3 vote(s) 8.3%
Lyrical 4 vote(s) 11.1%
Country dancing (Just for you, Krysyy <3) 5 vote(s) 13.9%
Other 8 vote(s) 22.2%
Dance? Alone where nobody can see me... 21 vote(s) 58.3%
Swing dancing 2 vote(s) 5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I shared this to staff, but I forgot this thread existed, so I'll share here too!

So my traditional country dancing is partner-based. However, due to the social distancing restrictions, we are unable to dance for now. The alternative and social distant friendly version is line dancing, so our group decided to challenge ourselves to learn and record a 48 count line dance over the weekend. This one is to the song 'Fake ID' from the 2011 Footloose movie and is definitely outside of my comfort zone. I have a feeling I'll be learning more over the next few weeks until we can partner dance again.

2. line dancing is so so fun. i have not done it in forever it seems although haven't been south in years either
    MoreMoople and liamwill like this.
  3. Haha, wow! Nicely done, very impressive that you learnt that in so little time. :)

I assume you only see the teacher, then? Because even with today's internet speeds, there must still be a noticeable delay, I assume, which would get amplified if one person followed another person, and that person was followed by another, and so on... :p
  4. It's definitely outside of my comfort zone. I'm used to a more traditional country dancing ideal, such as the two step, triple step, one step, west coast swing, and polka even...all of which are partner based. Line dances do happen in my area at the dance halls, but it's usually to Boot Scoot Boogie, Footloose, or Havana; all of which are all very easy line dances. Texas is still primarily partner dance based.
  5. Haha, thanks. Rumor has it that it may be until August before we can resume partner dancing, so if I can dance at all, guess I'll have to start learning more line dances.:confused:
  6. My favorite starts at 2 minutes but they break quarantine rules by the very end..

7. I'll try to post a video of me dancing for last year's International Day of Dance soon. :D

It's over a Zoom call, so we can all see each other at the same time, but when the class starts everyone but the teacher is muted so that it's easier to see them.
    I've done line dances to Havana before. It was pretty fun :) As for swing, I wish I had more opportunities to do that, because I enjoy swing dancing too. :D
  8. I'm right there with you on that. :D
  9. I have zero professional dancing experience, however I love watching it!

( I'll also try the occasional tik-tok dance... haha! )
  10. This was last April when I performed at a celebration for the International Day of Dance. :) The song is called Jai Ho. In the very beginning I am on the far left in the front row, but later on I am the one that slides into the middle splits.

It was a different style than what I usually do, but I thought it was a pretty fun dance to learn. :D
  11. I mean I dance at the grade 7 dance :p I slow dance with the ladies a lot. so you could say im a "slow dancer" i also dance hard when i have drunken 15 crush sodas. ;)
  12. When I was 6 I think I did ballet but I stopped going after a while, don't know why.
  13. Very cool, thanks for sharing!!
    Not a fan of the music personally, but I really like the choreography. :) I love the parts where the arms of different dancers seem to make a single formation. :) At one point near the beginning (I couldn't find it again) I got genuinely confused, thinking you had 4 arms. :p
  14. I've been meaning to post an update here for awhile!

The last few months I have been dancing at the studio again, although it's fairly different from previous years. We enter through a different door, have our temperature taken, and answer questions about our health. We then put on hand sanitizer and enter the studio.

Each person has their own box 6ft away from others, and they stay in that space throughout the class. We wear masks the entire time, which definitely adds a new challenge.

Despite all of the restrictions, we are still performing the Nutcracker this year, although it has been completely re-choreographed, and we have way less rehearsals outside of class. We are still unsure where we will be performing it at because our usual theater is closed for the year. There are many possible options, including streaming/recording it in the studio for an online audience. :)

I am ranked as a soloist in the company and will be performing the roles of the Sugar Plum Fairy and the lead for Chinese. :D

Unrelated to the Nutcracker, I started tap this year! I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

Are any of you dancing during this time? <*Looks at Krysyy*> ^_~
  15. During quarantine, I've been working more closely with my favorite instructors and they've commented on how much I've improved. I've also worked on my core strength so I can do dips, etc with more control (and maybe even grace:eek:).

Started dancing West Coast Swing more and we'll see where that goes. I'm excited every time I don't mess up and one of the good west coast leads didn't have to correct me yesterday, so progress!
  16. I'm good at duo dancing...if that makes sense? Like, where you dance with someone else. Other than that, I'd say I'm mediocre at it.
    Nickblockmaster and liamwill like this.
  17. I'm back with an update!
    Since the previous post I made here there have been a few small changes. We went back into lockdown a few weeks ago, so I spent a couple weeks of dance classes on Zoom. However, we were able to return to the studio for our final week of classes and recorded some of the dances we've been learning this semester. :)

The Nutcracker has been rescheduled for the end of January and will have an online audience only. :)

We've started the process of staging all of the Nutcracker dances for the camera! It's really interesting to see how different it is from staging dances for an in-person audience. What the camera can and cannot see is very different from what a person would see if they were standing in the same position, so that always has to be kept in mind.

I hope you all stay safe and have a wonderful holiday season. :D
  18. That sounds interesting indeed!
    My secondary school's musical this year was recorded for online viewing too, but this wasn't known until two days in advance. They still managed to get some unique shots!

But wait... does it being online mean that we can get a ticket? :eek:
  19. Maybe! I still let you know when I have more info :eek:
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and liamwill like this.
  20. You must, by now!