Cul's Riddles!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cul1002, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Kinda. Like 607 said, you only turn on one bulb for about 5 minutes. You then turn that switch off and turn on another one. You then open the door and walk in. If the light is off and cool, it was the switch you didn't turn on. If it is off and hot, it is the first switch you turned on. If the light is on, it is the third switch. :)
    607 and Pab10S like this.
  2. Here is another one: There are 8 pool balls and one of them is heavier than the others. Then there is one of these old paired weigh scales, like the one from Justitia. You can use the scale twice to figure out which ball is heavier.
  3. It might be more help if you understand the class was blueprint reading. Think about every thing you see and all info received.
    Sadly that's the exact question copied from the exam, The answer is to the Right -.-... It was meant to teach the lesson that every thing presant is important no matter how much it seems unimportant
  4. Well, I've got an odd riddle for people...

What is the same as its complement, different than its inverse and opposite of its reciprocal?
  5. I guessed that but figured that it was too weird of an answer.
  6. For riddles, never think your answers are stupid, just try! :)
  7. Umm umm umm... This is a riddle right? THE ANSWER IS 42! Am I doing it right?
    ShelLuser, 607 and AnonReturns like this.
  8. hey, somebody thinking about the 8 pool balls?
  9. Is the heavier ball of a noticeable difference?
  10. I think this will work depending on the definition of "using" the scale:

Put all the balls on the scale, four to each side. The scale will reveal which side has the heavier ball.

Take them back off a pair at a time.

If the scale balances as a pair is removed, put only those two back on the scale to see which is heaviest.

If the heaviest is one of the last pair to be removed the scale will automatically show which one it is.
    607 and AnonReturns like this.
  11. Nope, you need to use the scale

Hmm, not exactly. I am sorry for the unclear wording. One time weighing means: put the balls on you want to measure, see the result and take all of them down again. One process. You can do this twice.
    -> So, your solution would involve 4x weighing: Once for each pair.
  12. I am only taking them all off the scale twice at most, hehe.
  13. It is not that you can choose to let some left on the scale. The process is like described above: Choose the balls, weigh, and then remove all of them.
    Pab10S likes this.
  14. Well, I can narrow it down two ways: Either to one of 2 balls certainty or 50% chance of getting it and 50% of it being one of three... That close enough? :p
  15. Not bad, but you can gain 100% certainty :cool:
  16. Straight?
  17. I can do it in three, of course, but with two I'm out of ideas.
  18. *facepalm*
    To the right >.>
  19. Yes, three times offers many different combinations to find the right ball. If only using the scale twice, there is only one possible solution I am aware of.
    You can try to use some small things IRL and try it. That's how I solved it ;)
    Pab10S likes this.