British People

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sachrock, Nov 23, 2016.

?

Are you British?

Yes 34 vote(s) 25.0%
No 102 vote(s) 75.0%
  1. im on a cheap, painted wooden chair that squeaks when i move slightly, is that good enough?
    607 and Sachrock like this.
  2. Do didn't mention its colour?
  3. It's 25 degrees here, I don't like it
    Rundercaster, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  4. 23 here. Send help.
    TomvanWijnen and Sachrock like this.
  5. 23 here also. I'm dying
    Rundercaster and TomvanWijnen like this.
  6. 22 here.

Someone end me before the heat does.
  7. British suffering at it's finest.
  8. I'm just waiting for the American to run here like, "WOW WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS LOL IT'S 60 DEGREES CELSIUS (I THINK IDK BECAUSE WE DON'T USE THE LOSER METRIC SYSTEM) WHERE I LIVE AND IT MADE MY GRANDMA SWEAT SO MUCH SHE DIED IN THE STREET AND LOOKED LIKE A DRIED UP SPONGE LOL MAN UP YOU TEA-DRINKING SCONE EATERS 22 IS COLD AF (as fudge)".
  9. It's what we're best at :p
    carolmoss and Rundercaster like this.
  10. You just described all of America in one go.
  11. And also the whole stiff upper lip thing.

Case in point: Worst terrorist attack in 12 years, country enters critical threat level and government fears another attack is about to take place, army deployed in airports and all over major cities - all we do is make jokes about the threat level and people at the concert who were injured were even joking about what had happened to them. Like that guy who was bleeding out from his leg and said he just needed a 'quick nip to the hospital and a cup of tea' or something while on the verge of passing out from blood loss.

Or when British soldiers were pinned down by a horde of Chinese during the Korean War and the general told an American 'the situation is a tad bit sticky'. In actuality, we got slaughtered in the fight - mostly because the American didn't understand what the Brit said was "OH JESUS GOD WE NEED HELP WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE", but nneevveerrmmiinndd.

Maybe the Blitz was the best case of this. Your house gets bombed, you're now mostly homeless, could have died, what do you do? According to British people in the 1940s: get a cup of tea from your 90% destroyed kitchen and mumble about the weather.

We're so good at not caring about potentially life threatening things that this was a big reason our army was, and probably still is, feared/respected across the world - soldiers running around having just lost an arm and only saying 'oh crap I lost my arm lol' is probably pretty tough.

Proving my point, a quote from an American soldier on the British Army:

"The Brits are a strange race. They show affection by abusing eachother, they think nothing of stopping in the middle of a fight to have a brew, and they eat food I wouldn't give to a dying dog. But I would rather have a British squaddie by my side than an entire battalion of Spetznaz. They are the only ones in the world who, when the chips are down and all hope is lost, rather than get sentimental or hysterical, will strap on a rifle, light up a smoke and grin 'well are you coming then?'."

NATIONALISM
  12. NATIONALISM
    carolmoss likes this.
  13. Would like to add - I am incredibly proud of the people of Manchester who on that night rallied round putting others before themselves. Not only opening their doors but also their hearts to those in need, offering food/beverage and hugs. Taxi drivers queued up outside the M.E.N taking people wherever they needed to go free of charge, even calling on other taxi drivers as far as Liverpool. People sat beside victims holding their hands chatting with them keeping them calm until medical help arrived. Off duty nhs Doctors and nurses turned up at hospitals and waited for instructions. Sikhs, Muslims, Christians and Jews all unite telling the press, 'today we are all just Mancs.' Amazing, amazing people and more so an amazing place to live.
  14. Sachrock and carolmoss like this.
  15. A taxi driver from my town drove into a high risk area that was cordoned off by police - as in, 'highly likely somebody else could be here with another bomb' - just so he could find these two fifteen year old girls who rang up and had no other way to get home. It took him around an hour to find them and he even had to ditch the taxi at some point to scout the streets.

While the event should not have happened at all, it's things like this that warm my heart and are a good thing to take away from it. The people of Manchester were one community, even the surrounding area, and even the entire country. The solidarity was very nice to see.

I know people who were there. They're under very heavy stress - with at least one person, it seems very much like survivor's guilt. They can't come into school, which is complicated due to exams (I think 'special circumstance' passing is being ordered) this week. Even the support being shown to these people, who many people don't deem to 'be the victims', is also nice to see.

I thoroughly believe that, if the aim was to terrorise and scare people - which it absolutely was, as evidenced with the goal of killing kids - they absolutely picked the wrong city, and they picked the wrong country. There's nothing to gain here.
  16. Lilac. There you go! ;)
    Sachrock and carolmoss like this.
  17. It peaked at 27 yesterday. Can confirm, am a puddle.

Today it's 22 but it's not even nice. Really windy and cloudy - disgusting and depression-inducing, might as well be 15 out there.
    Sachrock and TomvanWijnen like this.
  18. Which is really REALLY good for me :) and we have rain! I am so happy :D
    Sachrock likes this.