British People

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sachrock, Nov 23, 2016.

?

Are you British?

Yes 34 vote(s) 25.0%
No 102 vote(s) 75.0%
  1. British cuisine is the specific set of cooking traditions and practices associated with the United Kingdom. British cuisine has been described as "unfussy dishes made with quality local ingredients, matched with simple sauces to accentuate flavour, rather than disguise it."[1] However, British cuisine has absorbed the cultural influence of those who have settled in Britain, producing many hybrid dishes, such as the Anglo-Indian chicken tikka masala.[2][3]

Celtic agriculture and animal breeding produced a wide variety of foodstuffs for indigenous Celts and Britons. Anglo-Saxon England developed meat and savoury herb stewing techniques before the practice became common in Europe. The Norman conquest introduced exotic spices into England in the Middle Ages.[4] The British Empire facilitated a knowledge of India's elaborate food tradition of "strong, penetrating spices and herbs".[4] Food rationing policies, put in place by the British government during wartime periods of the 20th century,[5] are said to have been the stimulus for British cuisine's poor international reputation.[4] It has been claimed, contrary to popular belief, that people in southern England eat more garlic per head than the people of northern France.[6]

British cuisine has traditionally been limited in its international recognition to the full breakfast, fish and chips, and the Christmas dinner.[4] Other British dishes include the Sunday roast, steak and kidney pie, shepherd's pie, and bangers and mash. British cuisine has many regional varieties within the broader categories of English, Scottish and Welsh cuisine. Each has developed its own regional or local dishes, many of which are geographically indicated foods such as Cornish pasties, the Yorkshire pudding, Cumberland Sausage, Arbroath Smokie, and Welsh cakes.

Sachrock likes this.
  2. Scottish cuisine
    Deep fried pizza supper seasoned with salt and sauce accompanied by two pickled onions.

Haggis, neaps and tatties.
  3. That looks amazing, and sickly at the same time :p
  4. Bonus bump for another Brit! Leicester dweller here. FINALLY ON THE MAP THANKS TO THE FOOTY!
    Sachrock and 607 like this.

5. Just to prove a point that it is always raining in Manchester! This is a view of the sky from my back yard

Sachrock likes this.
  6. Yeah the weather is normally bad down here in London however today it is looking quite good :)

[/spoiiler]
    607 likes this.
  7. So it's stopped raining it's 16C and too hot already! :D
    Sachrock likes this.
  8. I took this picture the other morning to show how bad the weather has been down in London, however it is starting to get better now :)
  9. The heat is great. And sweaty.

How people are out there doing this stuff in a crowd like that right now is beyond me:

Sachrock likes this.
  10. Finally the weather is getting better! Anon and I went to the local tennis courts yesterday
    TomvanWijnen, carolmoss and 607 like this.
  11. Saw some nice looking strawberries this morning but just not in the mood for them. Settled for hot cross buns instead.
    carolmoss, 607 and Sachrock like this.
  12. Drank tea when I woke up.

Haven't ate or drank anything else all day.

Such is the British way.
    carolmoss, 607 and Sachrock like this.
  13. I might not be British but I do enjoy starting soccer football riots.
    carolmoss, Sachrock and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. Found the Serbian.
    Sachrock likes this.
  15. Hey look it's that one European country we never went to war with.
    carolmoss likes this.
  16. The picture doesn't work for me. :(
    Sachrock likes this.
  17. Or me :(
  18. I can see a round shape with a line across it. Sort of like a tennis ball but not green enough.
  19. For me it's .
    Perhaps it's dependent on the browser you use, but what is clear is that we can't view the image. :p
    AncientTower likes this.
  20. If there even is, an image?