A General-Purpose Pokémon Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, May 4, 2017.

?

In what fields have you got experience with Pokémon?

I've collected cards. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
I've watched the anime. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
I've played Pokémon Go. 19 vote(s) 51.4%
I've played any of the main Pokémon games. 29 vote(s) 78.4%
I've played any of the games in Pokémon side series. 17 vote(s) 45.9%
I've seen any of the Pokémon movies. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
Other. 5 vote(s) 13.5%
None of the above. 2 vote(s) 5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Interesting, thank you!
    I'm might buy a Gen 2 Pokémon game for my 20th birthday anniversary, but I'm not sure whether to go for Gold or Silver... both have similar amounts of Pokémon I care a little and care little for, but neither has got Pokémon I really care for. Although Vulpix comes close, so maybe I should go for Silver.
  2. I see a clear Electric and Rock weakness within this current team. Three Pokemon are Flying types that are weak to Electric and Rock, with Gyarados taking 4x damage from Electric, due to being part Water, and Scyther 4x-weak to Rock, as a result of its part Bug typing. Two Pokemon resist Electric, but none resist Rock.

While Gyarados can learn Earthquake via TM, most Electric types are fast and will KO it, unless Gyarados is faster from previously using Dragon Dance(s). Many Psychic types can also learn Thunderbolt or Charge Beam via TM.

Scyther will lose its weaknesses as a Flying type if it evolves into Scizor, becoming a Bug/Steel type. However, this requires trading Scyther to another game while it is holding a Metal Coat.

The two Electric resistances in this team are decent. Electric-type Pokemon generally lack in type coverage, so their offense is easily cut off by Pokemon that resist or are immune to their Electric STAB.

Rock is a... *hard* type to defend against. Only Fighting, Ground, and Steel types resist Rock. Furthermore, many Pokemon from types other than Rock can learn Rock Slide and/or Stone Edge, most notably Fighting and Ground types for coverage against Flying. However, all Rock-type attacks are Physical, except for Ancient Power and Power Gem. This is still the case in Generation VII, excluding their equivalent Z-move.
    But on the flip-side, most Rock-type Pokemon are slow, lack Special Defense (without the 50% boost from a sandstorm), and have many type-weaknesses. Rock on its own is tied with Grass being weak to five types: Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground and Steel, the former two having predominantly Special attacks.

--

Adding Growlithe to your team would not help much with the Rock weakness, but it would complete your Grass-Fire-Water core.
    LittleSpaceChild likes this.
  3. I saw Detective Pikachu in theatre today! I wanted to see it when it released, but one of the friends I asked didn't reply and the other ended up having something else planned. I asked some more people and at one point was going to go with either my brother or my cousin, but then they went together for my brother's birthday. :rolleyes: I thought that at this point it wasn't showing anymore, but then last Thursday I had someone ask me if someone wanted to see it, as she works at a cinema and can get free admission for her and a friend on any cinema of the same chain. Apparently it was still showing in some cinemas! And as we are both students we could use public transit free of charge too. :)

Enough of the context... I saw Detective Pikachu! I really liked it. I don't easily pick up on things in movies, so things that would be obvious to most people were a surprise for me, and that was nice. (there was one thing that I picked up on early though...) The Pokémon look beautiful, and I think the story's quite nice as well (edit: I'm reading that some people found it 'too standard': that is not an issue for me as I haven't watched a lot of films, and have never watched a Pokémon movie before). I thought that the music might disappoint, but it really did not! I love the main theme, which returns a few times throughout the film, but actually just a few times, which makes it stay fresh. In fact, each time it's used it's used in quite a different way, which makes it fresh anyway, but it being used rarely makes the scenes that have it more special. And the music not featuring the main theme (which is thus most of it) is very nice too!
    I'm listening to the soundtrack on YouTube now, and might purchase it later. :)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  4. I got Pokémon Trading Card Game last weekend! :D I've seen PkGam's 100% walkthrough on it, and am currently watching his walkthrough of a fan translation of the Japan-only sequel. I'm looking forward to getting into it. :) (I haven't started playing it yet, as I also bought several other, less exciting games, and I'd like to spend some time at those before I get hooked to a long game ;))
  5. I bought Pokémon Gold for my 24th birthday anniversary.
    It's been fun! :D
    I enjoy that it's bound to the real time, and I also like the phone mechanic. I also didn't know that Unown were introduced in second gen already! I like them. :D
    padde73 likes this.
  6. I'm still playing Pokémon Gold. I beat the third gym, in the big city. However, I don't know what to do now. To proceed, it seems I need to get rid of the 'tree' that's in the way (I think it's a Sudowoodo?). I also got the ability to use Strength outside of battle, but I haven't got Strength, as far as I know...
    can anyone give me a hint as to what to do next? :D

By the way, my team right now consists of the following:
    Lerna, lvl. 20 Onix
    Bean, lvl. 21 Bayleef
    Fluf, lvl. 20 Furret
    Troy, lvl. 21 Flaaffy
    I also just caught a Spearow that I might use. I would've liked a Unown in my team, but it does not seem that they are viable Pokémon.
  7. Rocks are weak to water-type attacks. Maybe something involving water perhaps? Look around Goldenrod City, you'll find what you need.

EDIT: That vague but hopefully enough answer :p
    UltiPig and 607 like this.
  8. I kept forgetting to say, but I got it! I had no idea Sudowoodo was a Rock-type pokémon, so the first two sentences of your hint were quite confusing to me. :p In the end it was enough to know to look around Goldenrod City again, though. ;) I had been to all buildings already, but apparently I had to pay another visit after beating the gym!
    UltiPig and Cyberazaz101 like this.
  9. Pokemon has ruled much of my free time, most of which has been dedicated to the MOBA under their branch, Pokemon Unite. If you have not played or previously left Unite, >< do not join the game rn, the game has a major balancing issue going on that is seriously hurting the game while the active players await for a balance adjustment to be done.

The other Pokemon thing that's also controlling a chunk of my free time is Kaizo IronMON challenges, specifically one for Black/White. Just... know its one of the most extreme randomizer nuzlocke type challenges to exist and its actually so bad, most people go through literal thousands of randomized game seeds doing this challenge.
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  10. I'm not sure I'd ever heard of Pokémon Unite!
  11. The game is available on both Mobile and Switch, its free to play on both. The game has its issues including overly expensive cosmetic changes for paid currency to characters in the game (Holowear), Gatekeeping newly released characters for a week behind paid currency, a small cap on the main ingame currency earned each week, and currently the biggest issue with the game, major game imbalance issues including too much crowd control by multiple characters in the roster, a number of newer released characters being way too strong, not properly balanced and completely outclassing certain legacy characters, and balance updates that only happen after a month has passed.
    607 likes this.
  12. The guys on the way to Lake Rage require toll every time you pass through? :eek: And without thinking about it I passed through on the way back as well, instead of jumping down... :')
    Not sure if I'll be back there any time soon! There's no way to get money anymore after you've beaten the trainers, right?
    I'd been stuck at the Steelix fight, but then I realised there was some content in the North East of the map that I hadn't gone through yet.
    (Still talking about Pokémon Gold!)
    I did catch the shiny Gyarados, with a regular Pokéball!
  13. Ah, I personally never struggled with Jasmine's Gym, but you that direction is going towards Ice Path and Blackthorn City where the 8th Gym is. Good luck.

EDIT: Steelix is a Steel and Ground type. Based on how you team was set up before, Gyarados will be your best bet utilizing water type attacks.
    CoffeeAffinity and 607 like this.
  14. Yup, I was intending on doing that, also because that Gyarados is level 30, which is higher than any of my other Pokémon. Still not as high-leveled as Jasmine's Pokémon, though...
    CoffeeAffinity likes this.