A General-Purpose Pokémon Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, May 4, 2017.

?

In what fields have you got experience with Pokémon?

I've collected cards. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
I've watched the anime. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
I've played Pokémon Go. 19 vote(s) 51.4%
I've played any of the main Pokémon games. 29 vote(s) 78.4%
I've played any of the games in Pokémon side series. 17 vote(s) 45.9%
I've seen any of the Pokémon movies. 23 vote(s) 62.2%
Other. 5 vote(s) 13.5%
None of the above. 2 vote(s) 5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I did beat the last of the Elite Four yesterday...
    But then it turned out I had to fight my rival right afterward. I hardly stood a chance. ._.

After some more mistakes this morning I did figure out how to do most of the first fight: use Ostaf, my Snorlax, and do Amnesia twice, and then repeatedly Thunderbolt. I've got Rest if needed. However, there's one big issue... Lapras. I have no good way to beat Lapras.
  2. I did it! I beat the Elite Four and my rival! :D
    So I beat the game... but I'll probably be catching more Pokémon in the future. :) It's hard to remember which I've got already, though. :p
    And I should pick up the Exp. All.
  3. :p bringing this thread back to life! ^^ I wanted to ask my fellow Pokénerds something, who would be interested in doing a Taglocke?

A Taglocke, is a special form of Nuzlocke (google if you don’t know what this is) that involves players going through a certain portion of the game playing by the standard, and any special rules added to the challenge ahead of time. Once Player 1 gets to the end of their portion of the game (sometimes marked by beating a gym leader), they save the game, they send the game over to Player 2 and they pick up from where Player 1 left off.

To save some trouble, we will use a rom to make it easy for each players to get (hopefully you’ve bought the game that is decided). For those of you who are interested in doing something like this, just say so here and I’ll set up a PM for everyone wanting to participate and go into further discussion.
    607 likes this.
  4. Huh, that's sounds really interesting! I don't think you'll find enough people looking to participate on EMC, though. But I might be mistaken! :)
  5. It would definitely be difficult to get all the needed players in order to do this from EMC, id be happy if I only get 1 or 2 players to come in. Thankfully I have a failsafe that takes the form of a discord community dedicated to Pokémon, with numerous shiny hunters and nuzlockers that I just need to ask for a hand.
    ArkonXT and 607 like this.
  6. I wanna participate .o.
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  7. I used to play Pokémon in the past
  8. just realized i havent posted anything here so heres a story

Last march during Mardi Gras i hunted Shiny Reshiram in Ultra Sun with full 1/8192 odds
    i got it the day of the last parade of the season

I've also been grinding PSMD and i'm at almost 400/720 quests done.
    its a neat game but mega evolution is really bad
    607 and ForeverMaster like this.
  9. Thanks for bumping this thread, as I would have forgotten to post here!
    I bought a Nintendo DS Lite today, and wanted one or a couple of games for it, obviously, so I could play on it. Besides another game, I got Pokémon Ranger! :D To my surprise, it was only €7,50. I've already seen a 100% walkthrough on it, but that was some time ago, and I don't remember most. I hope I'll have fun with it! ^.^
    Has anyone here played it? It seems very unpopular for a Pokémon game, even for a spin-off series.
  10. I played pokemon on roblox, and I'm currently on the first pokemon game on emulator.online
  11. Pokémon on Roblox?? :eek:
  12. Yeah, and in all honesty, it's actually pretty well structured and isn't cringeworthy.
    607 likes this.
  13. Could you link the place? I don't think I can find it.
  14. I'm quite surprised how only two of the 25 people who voted on the poll above have no experience with Pokémon whatsoever... :o I mean, yes, of course, this is a special Pokémon thread, but still...
    607 likes this.
  15. Yeah, I'm in general surprised by the results! 60% of the thread visitors having seen one of the Pokémon movies, for examples, while I would expect about 30%.
    Anyway, my own votes aren't up to date anymore. :p
    Edit: And the other way around: I thought at least two thirds would have played Pokémon Go, but it's less than half (although maybe many people started playing it after answering the poll).
  16. Pokemon for me is all about Gamefreak's core series. The original Ruby and Sapphire was one of my first ever gaming experiences, but I have played later entries way longer than Generation III.

I play Pokemon with high self-standards. I put an immense amount of thought into my teams, even those for the main campaign/story. But my efforts do pay off. I do not need to constantly use healing items in battles. And that is not because my Pokemon can heal themselves.

These were my Moon and Ultra Moon teams respectively and their roles throughout the campaign:

===========
    Salazzle - Fast Special Attacker, 'Corrosive' Toxic
    "Luma" Ribombee - Fast Special Attacker
    "Pride" Mudsdale - Physical Attacker
    Magnezone - Steel Type, Thunder Wave
    Primarina - Bulky Special Attacker, Z-Move
    Lunala - Special Attacker, but with Psyshock

===========
    Zoroark - Fast Special Attacker, Illusioner
    "Luma" Ribombee - Fast Special Attacker
    "Duski" Dusk Lycanroc - Fast Physical Attacker, Z-Move
    "Maria" Milotic - Defender, Icy Wind
    "Ms. Smoke" Salazzle - Fast Special Attacker, 'Corrosive' Toxic
    Decidueye - Physical Attacker, False Swiper

--

I had a hard time finding good physical attackers for me in Alola: Pokemon with good Attack and physical moves. Ultra Sun and Moon made that process much easier, with Dusk Lycanroc and move tutors.
    In Moon, my team originally had no fast Pokemon. Everyone was under 90 Base Speed.

Gamefreak made a huge improvement on the difficulty of the campaign, compared to Generation VI. I felt challenged playing Moon and Ultra Moon, despite my preparations. The developers of the Ultra games prevented most players from sweeping through the entire game with only speed and damage.

They made the battle against Ultra Necrozma, a Level 60 Legendary Pokemon with a base Speed stat of 129 that gets a 50% omniboost to all of its stats immediately. Literally nothing at its level can outrun it, without a Choice Scarf.

However, the developers have a tendency to excessively handhold the player through the story which combined with the amount of cutscenes in Generation VII, none of which are skippable, severely hindered the narrative for hardcore fans.
    607 likes this.
  17. I was about 6 when i saw my first movie (pokemon heroes) and i cried at the end so hard (no spoilers here eeee)
    607 likes this.
  18. I've been replaying SoulSilver on my 3DS, which is the first game I ever played in the series!
    Currently, I have 5 badges. :) This is what my team looks like!

Ampharos - Lv. 30
    Gyarados - Lv. 30
    Bayleef - Lv. 28
    Pidgeotto - Lv. 24
    Furret - Lv. 21
    Scyther - Lv. 20

I'm really enjoying replaying my childhood, hahaha. I'm just sad that I can't get my favorite pokemon, which happens to be Growlithe. :( Only available in HeartGold. Bummer.
    607 likes this.