Why Staff?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 12, 2014.

?

Have you ever had a period of time that you wanted to become staff?

Of course! 86 vote(s) 74.8%
Nope. Never. 20 vote(s) 17.4%
I am already staff :D 9 vote(s) 7.8%
  1. Why do you want to become staff? When I wanted to become staff, it was mostly so people would like me
    Has anything/anybody ever influenced you to make you want to become staff? Hmm... maybe a few staff, weeh66, samsix and so on :]
    Sorry for three posts in a row XD
  2. Criticism? :confused: Oh well...
    I do in fact actually really like typing up things that the higher ups don't want to/are too busy for.
    MrUnknownian likes this.
  3. Have you applied for staff?
  4. greatness
  5. So to clarify on this earlier post, I refer to myself as a Schroedinger's Staff Member because I am and am not a staff member already.. Contributors are seen as staff, in a sense because we have access to the blog and wiki, but we are not staff members at the same time, well at least at the moment. The perks are severely limited beyond the access to those items besides incentives for writing blogs, as compared to other staff members. I have also wanted to become a moderator for a long time, however, I gave up after submitting my application about 5-6 times and becoming slightly dejected and waited a little bit after asking my last moderator application to be removed from consideration and applied for Contribution Team on a whim and was hired.. And although I haven't done much so far I feel like its a step in the right direction.
    crystaldragon13 and 607 like this.
  6. Huh, never thought of it like that before.

Google's Definition of Staff: all the people employed by a particular organization.

Yup, you are a staff in my opinion.
    highlancer54 and 607 like this.
  7. I think we should try and avoid putting you in a box with poison, though ;)
    autumnrain26 and hashhog3000 like this.
  8. 1. I saw that Dark_Liz and my old friend Ahzrael were applying to become staff members when moderators on EMC was just an experiment concocted by Justinguy. All of us were picked in the end since we were considered to be active members at the time whom they viewed as being trustworthy. I especially wanted to be more like Dark_Liz whom I remember had the best residence and was very creative and a good problem solver. She went on to become the first Sr. Staff member while I kind of stayed back. It doesn't bother me at all, since I don't find enough time to build all day.

2. Well I went over all the reasons why I became a moderator in the first place, so here's how I was first introduced as a moderator:

(Retrieved from my inbox)

3. I encounter cereal once a day in the morning, I encounter an average of one griefer per day when I'm active. People who want a signed book and heads for free. The rest is a mystery.

4. My biggest issue is finding time. Between my social life outside of EMC, working in order to get paid, getting prepared for college, and EMC, EMC tends to get the shortest end of the stick.

5. I like interacting with the community.
  9. Didn't the "Original Founder" used to be yellow?
  10. Yes, it is no longer as glorious.
  11. Just making sure I'm not going crazy...guess that title is no longer as important, haha.
  12. The ranks broke on the site for a little bit and I just guess the color for original founder was never fixed
    607 and PenguinDJ like this.
  13. To be honest, I felt the same way. I really didn't like it when that changed... it did feel not as important. Though it's been a while since the names have been yellow I do hope Aikar will change them back. The Founders turned white after the staff position hiccup a month or so ago. Maybe CM's forgot about it?
  14. Gotcha.
  15. Sorry for late reply to this but I was away at the time it was first posted and then I forgot about it.

For Moderators - Senior Staff:
    Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff?

I have been a moderator before [other server] I enjoyed helping ppl although EMC is a much larger server and the role somewhat more involved I still wanted to help. I could not say any one individual influenced me to apply [I applied many times]. I have played on here for 2 years and during that time I have tried to help out where I could, one person that impressed me though over that time that I had direct dealings with was Mr shaunwhite1982 very helpful staff member, now Mr shaunwhite1982.

Although as I mentioned I applied staff many times I was never accepted [If you have done this then I would say never give up, if you have the right motives then in time it could happen but be patient].

The main reason I applied this time was, I wanted to show my support for Aikar who went out on a limb in taking over EMC and the new team, although not all pf the staff where new but the situation of new ownership was new and this changed the dynamics of EMC and I felt even if I was not chosen I wanted to show my support by applying.

Why did you become staff in the first place?

I became staff firstly by reading and filling out the application form and thinking about it. Asking myself such questions as "do I really want to take this on".

Once I applied I still had time to think about it because I know it does take time for Sr Staff to check over applications and consider you as an individual and then of course after I was offered the position of moderator I still needed to think and consider before I accepted the position.

Why think about it so much you may ask, as an older person I have some understanding of the work, responsibility and effort such a position involves. So I wanted to make sure that it was the right thing for me to do.

What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis?

Each day is different some days are great when you get to help someone and they thank you for it. Other days not so great when you have a player that will just not listen and your forced to take action.

What are some difficulties of being staff?

When dealing with rule breakers, keeping in mind that the type of action you take should be the right type. Although it is easy to make a mistake which can be corrected, but it is better not made in the first place.

What are some positives to being staff?

Sometimes due to the different time zones you can be the only staff member on line, so when a problem arises you can help those that need it. In the past when this happened it could be very frustrating although we still had the /ignore command although not something I like to use.

Having the ability to help others out a little bit more then normal is the main perk, but always keep in mind anyone can help other players you don't have to be a staff member to that.
    crystaldragon13, 607 and Olaf_C like this.
  16. This is for anyone reading who hasn't become staff yet:

For me, this really gets me a little riled up almost. Personally, I see becoming staff as a matter of introducing a difference of opinion with who the Empire trusts itself to right now. It's not that I hate the moderators, I just feel as if there hasn't been anyone here who is well liked that has never said anything controversial (which we all know I've been said to do in the past...). So if you are a goody-goody about trying to keep your track record as high as possible on becoming a staff member, you might be in a good spot. Perhaps that's why I'm feeling that there's a little unfairness going on. Now, as an EMC moderator, doesn't your job require you to enforce the rules of EMC? Yes, and if a moderator wasn't doing that, then they should be stripped of their rights. But what I feel EMC is missing is mods who recognize that there are players (perhaps a 50-50 split) who are in personal controversy of one of the major rules of the empire. A good mod shouldn't have been known for breaking any rules, but at the same time they shouldn't be known for being a fake. I work with regular, free players all the time, and although they bring up controversial points, they are now who make up the core of the EMC community, and this has only changed within the last couple of months! I don't think our mods have moved on to that what EMC's future is becoming, almost as if we are scared of embracing it. Now, I don't want this to ever happen, but I have a theory on how EMC could end, if it comes down to politics and not some monetary issue. Eventually, the mods, players who want to become mods, and those who have been obsessed with EMC since day one (trust me, I've seen a few of those), will become invulnerable to the players who make up the majority of the population. Then, there will be a 50-50 split, and as a result a virtual war will be waged, between those who want a voice and those who have the right of exile on their side, and members from both sides will either be banned or will leave EMC. From that point forward, EMC's population will be unable to grow from the time of this great "war." I have already seen people leave because of this fear, where they don't want to become involved. Also, I am not trying to advertise myself as the best candidate to fix this problem. I only want people to become aware of it, and if something does happen, I would feel partially responsible if it does happen. That's why I would want to become staff.

As for who has influenced me for writing this, my friend, zh88, who I have played with since I first started on this server, as well as anyone who is feeling sorry for themselves for not becoming staff, because it's likely that they didn't deserve to be.
  17. Huh? Sorry, but I didn't get all of that, while I would like to do. Could you please write a simpler (maybe shorter) version of what you wanted to say?
  18. I think in your post you got a bit off topic of what you started to say, but I think I get what you are trying to portray. So I will address the part that has to do with staff and share some information with all of you.

For a while I was actually not such a goody, and was actually kind of a troublemaker. I used to troll, start useless arguments and overall just not a pleasant person. As I look back I realize how immature and stupid I was, but that is another topic. Staff aren't picked based on how much you suck up or how good you are, obviously having a clean rep sheet would benefit you but it's not all about that. Through bettering myself as a person and getting more into the EMC community I built a better rep and became known as the person I am today.

Just my 2 cents, if you have any problems with EMC feel free to PM me as I would love to discuss them with you. :)
  19. Just improved your post :)
    crystaldragon13 and samsimx like this.
  20. For those scared to post due to the possibility that this may somehow interfere with their moderator chances, I think this proves that nothing bad will come from posting here :)
    crystaldragon13, 607 and Olaf_C like this.