Why Staff?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 12, 2014.

?

Have you ever had a period of time that you wanted to become staff?

Of course! 86 vote(s) 74.8%
Nope. Never. 20 vote(s) 17.4%
I am already staff :D 9 vote(s) 7.8%
  1. It's become even more insane. :p
    Aikar made it where reports link to in-game and a player123 reported player456 for: x, y, and/or z pops up on screen.
    It's fantastic because you don't have to keep checking square, but it does seem to interrupt gameplay more frequently.
  2. Is it complete with that annoying sound that Square to make? You know, that really loud DINGGGG one? :p

That sounds good though, better than having to remember 100% to keep a dashboard tab open, as well one to actually use Square on.
  3. I muted my sounds long ago lol, so I have no idea.
  4. For Moderators - Senior Staff:
    Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff? My sons who play on EMC. I wanted to help the already awesome staffers in keeping this a family safe, fun, awesome place to play MC.
    Why did you become staff in the first place? Same as last answer
    What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis? Every day is different, every situation is different. The main thing I encounter on a daily basis is a bunch of great players that keep this community one of the best.
    What are some difficulties of being staff? There are some who push the limits of tolerance but they are usually new players who don't intend to do anything but cause problems. They don't last long.
    crystaldragon13, 607 and highlancer54 like this.
  5. Can confirm, no sounds with it.
    Better shush though, give Aikar ideas :p
  6. What is it like to build up the Empire with your code?
    Fun, otherwise why would I be doing it? :)
    What/who influenced you to become the Owner/Developer?
    Erm... really 2 questions, but sort of same answer for both: necessity to keep EMC alive.
    What are some difficulties of being a Developer/Owner?
    Working 16-18 hours a day.
    Are you guys really monkeys?
    *Flings poop at SkyDragon*

7. I am having trouble comprehending that...
  8. He drinks ALL the energy drinks =P
  9. Let us allay - while Elite will relay - an answer that was at bay - that will hopefully not dismay. :3
    ------
    I tried turning it off and on again, but it didn't work. :(
    So I decided to plug it in. :)
  10. I drank like 3.5 5hour energies and a cup of coffee yesterday, and slept for 6 hours.
    crystaldragon13 and sambish20 like this.
  11. I'm afraid Aikar will someday just plain collapse, leaving EMC to die, most likely..
    Edit: I probably should have faith in you though:rolleyes:
  12. More likely, his particles will start shaking so quickly that he'll just explode, sending his internal organs rocketing into orbit.
  13. It'll have about the same consequences though.
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  14. Now that I'm not on the contribution team, I can say that is pretty true. Depends what people view as boring/disregarded work, some of it was good, but some not so good. Sorry not sorry.
  15. Some people enjoy it, others do not. It's a fact of any volunteer position. Managing the wiki doesn't take much work. Blog posts DO in fact get more than just a gold name. Each post can earn the contributor a small rupee sum. We are working to bring more into the role this month, but overall it isn't that intensive yet so yes, the benefits are minimal.
  16. Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff?
    It started with one friend who mentioned that I should apply as they thought I would be a good moderator. I had never put much thought into it prior to them nudging me to fill out the application. Others joined them in indicating that I should apply as well, which made me contemplate it. It eventually went from me only filling it out, to me actually submitting it. EMC is one of the very few games that I have spent so much time on (and I don’t often play games except some console games like black ops2, halo reach, etc from time to time). However EMC gained a special place in my heart, as the community is awesome and cooperative, staff is great, and I believe we have the best leadership around.

Why did you become staff in the first place?
    Because the higher powers thought I had a delicious soul, ripe for the plucking! (kidding:p)
    To help players and to help other staff and EMC in general. I was already helping other players, which included welcoming newer players and showing them the ‘ropes’, helping with commands, giving basic materials, tools, going mining in groups, etc… some of the things I think are important to help new players get established. I often play in my free time, and I am happy more staff can be around to help out!

What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis?
    * Players having fun! It is often the good clean fun that makes me smile.
    * Investigating the reports, and attempting to rectify situations that occur.
    * Seeing players ask how to give flags, and warning them as best as I can to be very cautious which flags to ‘give’ out.
    * Players asking how to craft [block] and what shops stock certain items, and the ‘value’ of items.
    * Players asking what the best way to make rupees is…then dismissing my advice :(
    * When things are calm, organizing any group activities for players in town, as simple as ‘im going mining, who wants to come with!’ (*brings a few extra stacks of torches and cooked meat*... ya you know what I am talking about)
    * players messaging me 'I am about to use caps, is it 'ok' this one time?

What are some difficulties of being staff?
    * Players thinking that staff do not follow the same rules everybody else does. Also players thinking that staff on EMC behaves as staff elsewhere.
    * Players wanting to be kicked, muted, quickly banned for ‘fun’. (nope, and don't think of breaking 'rules' either, you may not get what you expect!!!)
    * Sometimes getting mobbed by players, when things are really busy when I try to investigate griefing and dealing with reports. I love it though, so do not stop acting the way you do, but I only ask that if I do not message you back right away, it is only because I am on task and would never intentionally ignore anybody (<--this makes me feel bad, if a player thought I intentionally do this). Most all of you have been very patient and stick around while I clear my 'queue' in which I will get to you in line!
    * Seeing players freely give flags to others they *think* they can trust, only to meet disappointment.
    * Knowing that if I see a friend stepping out of line, I will be responsible for enforcing the rules. However I look at it this way. A true friend will not put me in the position to enforce rules against them, and if taking action is needed, a true friend would not hold a grudge against me when I perform my moderator responsibilities. No special treatment for anybody, regardless of how well, nor how long I have known you.
    * Investigating [something], and falling into lava unexpectedly losing all my items. (stop smiling :D)
    * Investigating [something], and falling to my death, encountering a mob giving me some love, suffocating, and losing my items.
    * Players thinking that the items I give them, are ‘created’, not something that I collect myself. (yes, everything I have ever given out, has come from my own labor, or thru the generosity of another's labor).
    * Balancing playing, with staff duties. Moderating takes time to do it properly, however I knew this prior to clicking the ‘submit’ button. (if you aren't going to do something right...)
    * Watching long time players take a ‘break’ (however this is balanced by new players joining the ranks). People longing for the ‘days of ole’ as compared to embracing the constant change which mimics life…(nothing lasts forever, nor is ever the same… its up to us to decide to become rigid as a rock and get worn away, or to flow like fluid in an ever changing environment)
    * Getting players to collect resources, or make rupees for themselves. Sometimes it is difficult as some are resistant to leave town and gather resources, or set up an efficient shop. I don’t mind helping with some materials to set up a basic res, but there is that fine line that is crossed if players do not gather for themselves, and rely solely on others.

What are some enjoyments of being staff? <-added this one…
    * Helping others get a good start and feel welcome here, whether it is with commands, setting up, visiting their builds, tools, advice, etc. I try to see what would benefit a player the most, hoping it will give them a great start. Being staff is not required for this, but it sets many new players mind at 'ease' when I do this. When I was a supporter, many seemed suspicious that a player would give them anything at all.
    * Helping others in a ‘time of need’, with whatever difficulties they may be experiencing, due to issues with builds, rule breakers, etc. or even just chatting with a player.
    * Getting invited to a players res and seeing their wonderful builds. You all have some fantastic builds.
    * Helping players, even if they don’t know what to ask for. This can be as simple as helping with teleport signs, shop signs, getting their death coordinates so they may try to get their items back, etc… I do pay attention to town chat, and the forums, and attempt to make helpful suggestions.
    * Seeing a players build, and donating items, resources, or rupees to help them further along.
    * This is meant for things I do that is outside of staff responsibility, no thanks is ever needed for any staff functions I ever do. However, seeing that a player appreciates something I do. One "thanks", or even seeing a forum post indicating they appreciated anything I do, makes everything I do worthwhile.

Nice post question. I enjoyed writing this.
  17. For Moderators - Senior Staff:
    Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff? What influenced me to apply was because I spelt a lot of my free time being on Emc with friends and after a year or so playing on Emc thought be neat idea to apply for Staff since I like helping people out.
    Why did you become staff in the first place? To help members who needed help on the Server and Enforce Emc rules but mainly helping people out.
    What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis? Nowadays, just answering basic questions like what do's and don'ts on Emc, warning players about giving out perms to players they don't trust, few griefing cases and finally bugging Sr. Staff or Cms in Irc about stuff.

What are some difficulties of being staff? I guess only difficulties I have nowadays is when members are lying to my face and think the lie they told is working but other than that nothing is difficult but if something that comes up and second guessing myself I always have rest of Emc staff to fall on for backup.
    highlancer54 likes this.
  18. For the Non-Staff who wish to become staff:
    Why do you want to become staff? I like helping out, and I would like to be able to keep the server nice and family-friendly, and griefing/stealing free. As staff I can do that.
    Has anything/anybody ever influenced you to make you want to become staff? Pretty much all staff have, but mostly krysyy. She's nice and firm, and if there is a problem she takes care of it thoroughly.
  19. What ever happened to helping out, just to simply help out?
    All contributions are appreciated! Sorry if anybody feels like their work is not appreciated.
    Work is always appreciated.

In life, most everything you do to help out, will only gain you inner strength.
    Every time I stop and help someone who is broken down, to change a flat tire, give a few dollars to someone in need, help somebody move heavy objects, mow their lawn, see someone drop their money and return it to them, give someone a ride home when they need it, I know what I have done, and that is enough for me.

I cannot remember a time, where I helped out, with the expectations I would be getting anything at all in return. If they tried, I would tell them, thanks but no thanks, just to pay it forward.
    crystaldragon13 and 607 like this.
  20. I mean like building and junk. Nobody really WANTS to build and it's often overlooked IMO
    Jcplugs likes this.