Why Staff?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unoski, Oct 12, 2014.

?

Have you ever had a period of time that you wanted to become staff?

Of course! 86 vote(s) 74.8%
Nope. Never. 20 vote(s) 17.4%
I am already staff :D 9 vote(s) 7.8%
  1. I want to become staff because i like to help people. Im out in the wild a lot and everybody is always like *help nyan please!* and i can't help them. I feel very bad and a little guilty too.
  2. For (PROBABLY NOT ANYMORE) Moderators - Senior Staff:
    Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff? They needed more staff so they asked me to apply. Then I became a staff member.

Why did you become staff in the first place? There were like 2,000 members and I was one of the ones they wanted to be a staff member?

What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis? Before SYSTEM? Lots of spam. So much spam. After SYSTEM? Lots of people trying to convince me that their brothers got them banned.

What are some difficulties of being staff? I had a nasty habit of being incredibly strict on appeals, which meant if I banned you it was pretty much your endgame. Also I don't like talking to people which isn't a good thing.
  3. lol for the most part, staff cant live in the wild. you will get called to town so often that you will get angry with making the trip back (you cant just tp back). plus you have to be unbias and inpartial about the affairs of everywhere so you really shouldnt be living in any community.

i guess ill do a semi real one:
    For ex Moderators
    Who/What has influenced you to apply for staff? i noticed a lack of support on smp6 at the time, was more active then anyone else on the server and wanted to be able to be a first responder to my specific server
    Why did you become staff in the first place? theres conflicting reports on this but my overall activeness, on all the venues played a big part i think.
    What do you encounter on a day-to-day basis and what were some difficulties of being staff?? at the time there was a dynamically different paradigm in staff, most werent as active as they needed to be and few were on the east coast or up late enough to be effective at that time. i did my best to fill in where they were missing but things fell through the cracks. mostly i dealt with wild community disputes and monitored the forums for rule breaking posts and threads. in game i tended to be bombarded with questions at a late time when i was the only one on to answer them. it made actually playing incredibly tedious and confusing. later in my career i was getting bored of minecraft and just spending more time on mumble and forums i knew i was going to move soon and be without internet and frankly became jaded by the constant barrage of the same tedious questions. the higherups noticed a lapse in my performance. that combined with an influx of new blood and a new system brought me and staff to the agreement for me to no longer be on the green team :)
    607 and highlancer54 like this.
  4. Staff can live in the wild and some do. If you teleport to town to help a player, you can teleport back to your base. However, you cannot teleport to and from your base for no reason/to hang out with friends and/or with any items.
    607 and highlancer54 like this.
  5. For the Non-Staff who wish to become staff:
    Why do you want to become staff?
    Has anything/anybody ever influenced you to make you want to become staff?

I became a member of Empire back in April of 2013 after a home tragedy struck. Needing some kind of a distraction from life I was introduced to Empire by my son who also played at the time. What i found was a community of friendly people who also enjoyed the game.

I discovered helping other players to be fun and rewarding, soon after I was hooked on Emc, lol. I enjoy seeing everyone have fun and enjoying our time. Excellent staff was one of the first things i noticed, how fun they made it and how much they care. I believe i can also add to the community in my own way by providing help whether it be simple answers or giving my time to fellow players thru encouraging them.

Current staff and friends on here today (Weeh666, Highlancer54, Ahksel) have noticed and commented i should apply, so I have. I have taken time to read as much as possible so while helping i can provide accurate answers or look for the answers easier together, or even being there to help someone smile. Teaching new players the in's and out's that sometimes seasoned players often forget how having game knowledge helps keep it fun and exciting.

Seeing how much time it takes for moderators to help in every way, knowing its not always fun and Staff having loads to do to help daily, I hope one day to add to the list of names for fellow players to call on for help. Being a part of the community and stepping up to see Empire remain fun and exciting for all.

Blackstone71
  6. I feel that if you're only joining the contribution team for the glory, then you're not joining for the right reasons and you probably won't do a very good job anyway. :)
  7. I can relate to that having been a over the road trucker once upon a time, that being 18yrs of my life actually.
    crystaldragon13 and Ahksel like this.
  8. The desire to become staff is from helping a lot of people. I actually enjoyed meeting new people and helping them. I applied for staff on the advice of a few other players who thought I would make a good addition to the 'green team'. I usually have to deal with three or four problems at once, as I am on at odd hours. Sometimes players get upset with me when I tell them I am helping another player.
    Some of the difficulties in being staff are: persistent players not letting me finish helping another player, not finding the evidence that I need, and my playtime being limited. With that being said, I still enjoy being staff and helping people. The benefits of being a staff are: meeting new players-- like my love :), learning new things, and most importantly being a part of something so awesome. I've never enjoyed a game so much in my life. There isn't a player here on EMC that I don't genuinely like. Everyone here has become part of life.
  9. A few of these posts have mentioned that they wanted to be staff for the fame/publicity, and sadly, I was one of those people once. I joined EMC when I was 12 years old, and it was probably one of the very first servers I joined. I was definitely still a newbie, but the thought of being a moderator blew my mind away (Not literally). My first server was smp3 and the most people that got on were about 20 at most. So I rarely saw a moderator on. Whenever one did get on though, everyone would always say "hi" and talk with the mod. I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread. The thought of getting on a server and everyone liking you, well, maybe not everyone, but I didn't know that at the time. Anyways, when I thought of getting on and everyone saying hi, talking with me, and basically being important. Now I knew that moderators also had to help people on the server with problems or issues, and I was all in for that, but I was more focused on the delusion of being, well, famous. My mindset was basically in the wrong place.

Then I moved over to smp1 and met more cool people. One of those people happened to become a mod and I was like, "Ermegersh! I has to be mod! It must be so cool and fun! I started filling out mod applications every time one was announced, and every time the moderators were chosen, I wasn't one of them. I always felt disappointed, and then I tried once more when another mod application was announced. I thought, "If I keep applying once, every time more positions open up, I will get in. As I know now, that is clearly NOT the case. You won't get accepted just by applying over and over again until you get a spot. I learned this and said to myself, why do I really want to be a mod. "So I can be important for something, to be admired and liked by everyone and-, no, that's not good enough." So I thought more. "Well, I want to help people, solve their problems, and be someone a player can count on to help them out as much as possible." It was a lot better than wanting to be "famous."

I knew that the people accepted deserved to have staff position a lot more than me, and I knew that I needed more experience if I ever wanted to be a moderator. So here I am now, telling you the story of how I wanted to become a moderator for the wrong reasons, but then changing them, into more of the right reasons. I still probably don't have what it takes to be a moderator, but I will get older, become more mature, and then maybe someday I will apply again. This time, not for selfish reasons, but to help others, and EMC to become better as a whole. It doesn't matter the color of the tag, white, green, or purple, but it's about how you wear the tag (metaphorically speaking). Because moderator, admin, senior, or owner, everyone, including regular members, can help out, colorful tag or not.

(I hope that peach wasn't cheesy or anything, cause I really meant it. 8comimi out!)
  10. Peaches aren't usually cheesy.
    hashhog3000 and Olaf_C like this.
  11. Maybe peaches usually really mean it.
    crystaldragon13 and hashhog3000 like this.
  12. I just realized I said peach XD
    I meant speech.
    Qwerty189, hashhog3000 and Monster_ like this.
  13. How does one become contributor? (just asking :D)
    autumnrain26 likes this.
  14. Olaf_C, 607 and krysyyjane9191 like this.
  15. Thats the thing. There IS no glory *in the public eye* in being contribution. Contribution members are hardly recognizable unless you're on the forums. You guys don't get much recognition at all - if any.

Nobody that I know enjoys typing up or building things that the higher ups don't want to/ are to busy to.
    Jake_bagby likes this.
  16. You don't know many of the people that I know then.
  17. Not asking for your criticism.
  18. I guess some people are too busy and they don'y like typing things up.
    But I don't get why some people want to be famous
    I know most people think that I am lying but
    I like typing things up :3
    stories or on the forums, I am always typing :]
    607 and Monster_ like this.
  19. I had no idea what to say when I first read this.
    Then I realised what you were trying to say to those you want to be famous and be staff.
    Here goes nothing, please don't laugh:
    I once tried to become staff. I always admired when they came on (I am on smp4) and everyone (including myself) always greeted them and said hi. I even asked how to become staff, once, even though it was to someone who's not staff. I remember applying, filling out everything in detail. I knew not to get my hopes up, but I wanted it sooo much.
    It wasn't until I saw a massive problem that a staff had to sort out that I realised I should be glad not to be staff. I registered in the forums and I wrote a new status every day, not knowing what to keep or not (its really annoying when everyone comments and says: stop repeating and stuff, sheesh!) and in one I mentioned I was a writer, and someone commented and said I should consider applying for Contribution team. I have tried, but I just can't find the answers to the stuff to research (sigh) but I know that I would love typing and helping newbies out :]. The thing is, would prefer to be behind the stage, not on it
    Hope no one is gonna shout for this looong post :/,
    Charlie :]
    crystaldragon13, highlancer54 and 607 like this.