what type of gaming computer should i get?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Michael_Nolan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Your better off pulling down the specs you want on iBuyPower and then shopping around for the best deal and finding a company that exclusively makes custom cases, if you want it to be super sexy...
    Don't go for prefab, you are only hurting yourself in the end... (Gaming Rigs only)

Most prefab computers have the lowest quality hardware possible wrapped in a pretty shell with a logo slapped on top so they can make %800 profit on the unsuspecting consumer... Save yourself the headache and embarrassment

If you just want an out of the box, email, internet, inbrowser games and maybe even some MC, go buy a nice $200-300 desktop rig at newegg.com and be happy.
  2. You have to really enjoy the OS X environment to jump onto the Mac side of the fence...
    I do, which is why I exclusively use my iMac for my computing needs. :)
    mtp1997 likes this.
  3. I run Minecraft on full settings with mods (Water shadier) on my PC (£534 total costs) home made PC and Minecraft runs about 124FPS (without water shadier) and about 56 with it on this was probibly the best buy of my life my family has 2 of these in the house one with 16GB ram and mine with 8GB with an extra 1GB slot thing (Dunno what its called) its on AMD but its better than the un-locked Intels i7's cores so you get how good it is and as copherfield said its best not to go with a brand because in my past experience with Dell I just want to throttle the owner ... I am planning on getting a new PC soon but i could just do up the one I have :)
  4. Hey look that looks like my computer. :p Except mine is blue and has a blue neon light in it though. I got mine from ibuypower. I could have put it together myself (I have more then enough experience for it) but I am just kinda lazy and so yeah. I looked around for one of the best computer screen I could find, and some logitech G9 mouse and G15 keyboard. I topped it off with one of the best speaker systems being the Logitech Z-2300 THX-certified 2.1 speaker system with subwoffer. I spent about 2 grand in total for all of it. This however was 4 years ago so its probaby only worth 1 grand nowadays the way computers are.

My specs right now are:

Case: Nzxt Guardian 921 w/ Nvidia Side window
    Case Lighting: Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue
    Power Supply: 800 Watt
    Processor: (New) Intel Core i7 920 Processor
    Processor Cooling: XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU cooling Fan system (Heat-pipe direct touch)
    Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel x58
    Memory: 6GB's [2 GB x 3]
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    Hard Drive: 1TB Hard drive
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive: LG 22x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD+R/+RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black
    Speaker System: Logitech Z-2300 2.1
    Monitor: Acer 22" HDMI compatable
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1: Logitech G9 Gaming mouse
    Mouse 2: Nzxt Avatar gaming mouse
    Flash Media Reader/Writer: 12 in 1 Internal Flash Media Card reader/writer Black
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Software Games: Crysis Maximum Edition, Crysis 2 limited Edition, Halo 2, ect
    Overall cost: about 2 grand
    Enjoyment from having a kick-*** gaming computer: Priceless!
    There are some things money can't buy. For everything else choose actual money!

But im upgrading the ram sometime soon when it goes down in price, and upgrading my video graphics card to AMD HD 6970 2GB. However, the one I want is out of stock and expensive right now. About $450 which it used to be down to around 300-400. Other then that, idk what else I could improve on it. Any new graphics cards after the one I want wont even fit in my case cause the new ones are to long.

Oh and btw I saved up for that back 4 years ago. And I take really good care of my computers (like take them out twice a year to use compressed air and clean out all the dust). So I figured I would get a really good one instead of some junky one at the time. My previous computer. A really old dell computer that had at most windows xp on it I kept it running for 8 years without any troubles and no needing to upgrade to play most games. And it was already at least 4 years old when I got that one from ebay for like 400 bucks.
  5. You can cutomize a Mac: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/guide/cto and u can upgrade:
  6. My iMac specs for those who are interested in comparing. :D

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Intel High Definition Audio (Builtin)
    Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.4.5f3
    Built in SD Card Reader
    HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N:
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Type: Ethernet Controller
    Bus: PCI
    FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    BANK 0/DIMM0 - empty
    BANK 1/DIMM0 - empty
    BANK 0/DIMM1:

Size: 2 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz
    BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 2 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz

Serial ATA
    NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

I get a solid 60 fps with Fancy/Far using Wyukian Texture Pack.
    If I use Default, Fast/Short I can hover ~200 fps. :)
    pateraterick likes this.
  7. I prefer un-locked will un programmed processors because you can squeeze all the stuff it has to offer out of it. but is hard to get in the first place :/
  8. macs are expensive because its made by apple and in my opinion apple is one of the most money greedy companies EVER.
    nnnnmc1, nmanley and Squizzel_Boy like this.
  9. and it costs apple $10 for the parts for an iPhone 4 but then their are the other costs too but still xD
    Michael_Nolan likes this.
  10. not to mention if ANYTHING happens to it even if its their fault u have to pay a fee to get there help i was like WTF really
    ps: WTF = WHAT THE FUDGE
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  11. Have you noticed Mac performs better than PC without any upgrades?
  12. have u noticed how much more pc usually cares once apple gets their money they just dont care
  13. O.K.! next step in my life: learn more about computers so I understand what all of this means. -_-
    SecretAznEks and SunnyDayz100 like this.
  14. lol right there with u :confused: so confusing
  15. I truly do find all of this REALLY interesting. I want to learn as much about it as possible. Maybe I'll major in some type of computer technology or something. I like it a lot.
  16. im thinking of taking programming hopefully it will help
  17. I wish to do so as well. Just curious to know if there is a class in my school for that. -_-
  18. I learned all of the things I know about computers from trial and error and a whole lot of internet surfing back when having a WebTV was awesome........
  19. whats webTV?
  20. lol - Look it up on wiki.. It was one of the first generation TV "computer" boxes made. They then went on to make MSN TV and then Google TV but now you can just buy a smart TV....

OMG It is still around!! :D
    http://www.webtv.com/pc/
    Michael_Nolan likes this.