What languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by triphora, Dec 7, 2017.

1. hehe, I get what you're saying but now I'd like to play the devils advocate (a little bit!) because... fluent, that's the hard part.

You can understand a language, speak it and others can understand you but even if you do it's no guarantee that you're also able to grasp jokes. Language jokes in specific. And even if you grasped those to some degree there's a new obstacle: sayings.

Now, said said above I'm playing the devils advocate here, but I'm not too convinced that you'll ever be fluent in a language. Because languages tend to change over time, and unless you actively continue to use it.... you'll have an issue.
    607 and CinemaSins like this.

2. I speak french, english, and japanese. Esperanto, too (probably beginner level). I have some german from a long time ago, with some korean and tahitian too. Then notions of latin.
    And java and java script, maybe.
    Sazukemono, 607 and CinemaSins like this.
  3. I speak Dutch (primary) Englisch (As you might know...) and a little bit of Frensh and German, I'm not following classes on those two anymore though. I can also read-ish (half decently translate) Latin and old Greek, I have never learned to speak those though, as nobodey even knows how to pronounce the words properly :p I have also followed lessions on Spanish, but I didn't do anything with that in over four years, so I can do bairly anything with that nowdays.
    TheBidule, 607 and CinemaSins like this.
  4. (British) English, Welsh, German, and Serbian. Those last three aren't fluent, but I can hold a conversation in them so that's good enough for me. And since I self-taught them, that's probably as good as I'll get without further help and I'm proud of that.

I also did Spanish from the age of 12 until 16, and have a few qualifications in it, but I don't remember any important stuff whatsoever because I haven't used it since I left high school (I'm currently in my final year of college, so about 2 years since I last used Spanish).
    607 and CinemaSins like this.
  5. Binary is not what IP's are based off of. Binary is the composition of 1's and 0's while an IPv4 address is comprised of 4, 1-3 chunks of numbers of which the value can be anywhere between 0-255. While binary is an essential part of computing as it is what all programming languages come down to, it is not what IP addresses are based on. Another thing is that binary and HEX are not languages, they're just number systems, so you won't be using them to do any talking.
  6. Yes, but we use Binary Numbers to calculate IP's.

This is coming from a college program based on this stuff...
    CinemaSins likes this.
  7. Disagreed. ;) For Greek, surely there are some disagreements (but I like to think I am right :rolleyes:), but for Latin, I think it's quite solid. :)
    TheBidule and CinemaSins like this.
  8. Well, for things like what was the correct accent and everything, I beleve not. Italian people speak Latin in a way different way as Dutch people do, sure, basics are the same, but the thing that makes you good at a normal langue (instead of half decent) aren't that settled as far as I have ben told. :p
    TheBidule and CinemaSins like this.
  9. The only letter that isn't pronounceable is the Ρ/ρ symbol. :p
  10. on pronounciation of latin, and things about linguistic and languages, there is this guy on Youtube that makes short, clear and enjoyable videos.
    607 likes this.
  11. That's because Italian people tend to speak Latin like it's Italian. ;) And I feel like something similar applies to the Catholic church. I was reading a book on that... perhaps I should continue, so I can perhaps give more details next time. :p

(It's snowing again! And a lot more than Friday!)
    Jelle68 likes this.