What languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by triphora, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Easy as the title. What languages do you speak?

As for me, I speak U.S. English (primary) and Greek (secondary). As you can see from the picture below, my MC launcher is in Greek.

So, what languages do you speak?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I speak English and Canadian French. I did go to a French school up till the 8th grade, but I'm not that good in the speaking department, I'm stronger in the reading department.

The worst part about going to a French school is that they didn't teach English grammar. Thus, I mainly taught myself proper English. Imagine not understanding how to use basic English grammatical structures like possession, or how to write dialogue, until you were 13 in an English speaking country. I didn'the even know the difference between it's and its, as well as a and an till this year.

Edit: Since coding seems to count now, then I'll throw in Java and Turing.
    607 and CinemaSins like this.
  3. Currently, I only speak American English, but I have learned very tiny amounts of multiple, random foreign languages, my mom has learned some Swedish (she wants to visit Sweden and Australia someday), and I do insist on learning Spanish within the next few years (which most of my friends are probably already doing).
    CinemaSins likes this.
  4. I know English, Ojibwee, C++, C, Java, HTML, CSS, Binary, Hex, and a few others, :D
    ShelLuser, CliffCraft, Ritunn and 2 others like this.
  5. Binary? That's very important for scientists and coders (and science is my favorite subject and gaming my favorite hobby).
    607 and CinemaSins like this.
  6. I speak English and some Spanish. I would love to learn French, German, and possibly Dutch.
    We3_MPO and CinemaSins like this.
  7. Ok, if your talking like that, I know English, Greek and BBCode :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. Binary is supposed to be a pain to work with from what I know.
    CinemaSins and 607 like this.
  9. well, Its what IP's are based off so being a Network Admin person, i have classes where all we do is talk and write in binary the whole 3 hours of a class.
    Its important for the Internet as thats what we use for send and get's as well as IP's, and routers and all. Without binary and Hex there would be no internet.
    CinemaSins and We3_MPO like this.
  10. i speak English and a few common phrases in about 15 or so other languages. and i don't SPEAK IT but i do know sign language and for the most part fluent
    CinemaSins likes this.
  11. Other languages were made obsolete by google translate. Hence, I only speak English.
  12. I can barely speak English :p
    CinemaSins likes this.
  13. I would actually assume the opposite for someone who has lived their whole life in Great Britian, Canada, and/or the USA (unless they're Native Americans in an Indian reservation).
    CinemaSins likes this.
  14. I can speak English and Japanese confidently, and fragments of a dozen other languages less confidently. I'm currently learning Latin, and it's really interesting! As for coding, I've got BBCode, C++, UiPath, and (some) Python.

Bonus round: *big cheeky grin* Once upon a time I also made myself learn to write in a handful of other writing systems (golic vulcan, sindarin, elder futhark, gallifreyan) but I've since forgotten most of that stuff.
    CinemaSins, We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  15. Wait, with binary and hex, you mean you can read the numbers? Because then I'm surprised you didn't mention decimal. :p Otherwise, what do you mean? I'd be surprised if you knew machine code. But you mean assembly, perhaps?

I can speak English and Dutch. I could probably also speak Frisian, but I don't dare. :oops: I can read English, Dutch, Frisian, German, Latin, and Ancient Greek; plus BASIC family languages, Python, and GML.
    ShelLuser, CinemaSins and We3_MPO like this.
  16. I speak Dutch (obviously), English, German and 'skoshi' Japanese (a little bit, mostly what I pick up from my gf).

Also: does your question refer to speaking in a way where others can actually understand what you're saying or is this just about talking and see what happens next?

Because in that case I can also speak French (but I'll need my hands and arms for gestures, I believe that's part of the language), Spanish (the result isn't what I always expect, they usually always run off ("arriba!")) and I can even speak Chinese (though they usually end up giving me food for me to take home) :D

Oh, and by that same definition I also speak Frysk :)
    CinemaSins and 607 like this.
  17. I i forgot I speak Canadian English. US English is all different...
    CinemaSins and neonkillah like this.
  18. Never really thought of binary as a language. But if that's being included, I know English, C++, Lua, Logical operators, Calculus, treble clef, and refrigerator doors. Pretty proficient in most of those
    Ritunn, CinemaSins, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  19. Other people who speak that language can understand you, and that your also fluent in it.
    ShelLuser likes this.