Wastelands Reset [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, May 16, 2014.

1. Awww that's cute quarry you got there. Here's mine: :)

sand.jpg

Also, Aikar, you can remember to reset the Livemap? The last time the wastelands were reset, the tiles from the old map were still there. >.<
  2. You left the stone a craterous jagged mess? Eew. :(
    (Granted, it's quite the clearing though)
  3. you are more zoomed in then he is
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Meh, hard to tell. I don't want it to be a pissing contest anyway, that's a lot of sand & sandstone cleared no matter how you slice it. Jagged terrain like that makes me sad though, even if it is the more "efficient" method.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. There aren't really much features for me to get hyped about. But, with the extended time, Jeb might finally change the construction analysis for village doors. Ever since I red this planned feature on the Minecraft Wiki, I've been discouraged to build any large-scale iron golem on EMC.:oops:
    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features#Other_planned_features.2C_items.2C_and_blocks

I think this change could potentially happen because Mojang has been working on village mechanics and villagers already. I would imagine that skimming for where in the code to update would take the overall process longer if you were trying to update across it. I think this is also why most Minecraft updates now have a major theme to them, like 1.7 was mostly about the new terrain generator.

Out of what's coming in Minecraft 1.8, I'm interest the most into the slime block, the ability to craft mossy cobblestone, mossy stone bricks, and chiseled stone bricks, and the new stone variants (andesite, granite, and diorite).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. I was wondering this too
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. Thank ya' Aika'.
    :p Took me 5 minutes to come up with something that rhymed....
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. The negative side of resetting wastelands so often is that it'll be less advantageous to put work into building mining outposts, or rails/transport to remote areas. As they'll continually be reset and have to spend time rebuilding. Hence, not really worth it.

So although resetting often might seem like offering more resources to people close to spawn, it'll also make it more difficult to get resources, particularly from rare biomes. And people will be more likely to build such things in the frontier, where they won't be reset, and they can mine away happily.
  9. I am inclined to agree. But then I also clear a 100 x 100 area top to bottom, because that's what my beacon covers :)

This quary has been used by others since i cleared it out cleanly :) not so clean anymore
    smp8quary.jpg
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Great to know, thanks for all the info on this Aiker. I am eager to explore new biomes! :D

I will add my own opinion to the reset times: I would love them to be reset more often, however, I also think one month would be a bit too much. Its nice to build outposts in different locations, giving time to mine the more rare biomes <such as clay-filled canyons or perhaps podzoil and packed ice.>
    Moonglum_ and Equinox_Boss like this.
  11. yeah i kind of agree i think two months would be a little better overall excluding any updates. i like to set up little collapseable camps for hunting mobs out there and every month would get annoying trying to find a new one
  12. Oh gosh, I hear them already scream: 'My outpost was destroyed and all the chests are gone :mad:. Why didn't anybody tell us?',
    Response: 'Why do you build an outpost in the waste? And yes, it was told on the front page of the forums'
    Player: 'That is so unfair. I haven't looked at the forums. Why don't you give an ingame warning? And who is gonna replace all the stuff I build?'
    Response: 'Nobody, the wastelands aren't for building and there was an ingame warning'
    Player: 'What if I couldn't get on because of internet problems? That is so mean!! Can't you send an email to every player to warn them.'
    Response: 'No, check the forums!'
    Player: 'I checked the forums right now and I saw the warning came out yesterday. That is way to short!'
    Response: 'I agree, that is a very short notice.'
    607, cddm95ace and Equinox_Boss like this.
  13. I'm happy to see this is being reset, it was rather hard for me as a new player to get started because I would have to travel out really far to actually find anything useful. I think resets should happen more often, but on the same token perhaps more advanced notice. I was just in the wastes and had come across a very very long rail system with power rails and everything. Not sure that player is aware or around at the time to know it's being wiped but it's highly likely all that will be lost.

I know the wastes isn't a place to build, but I also know that making rails, bases or even farms if you come across a spawner is something that many players do to make return farming much easier. For those reasons I think more advanced warnings should be in place so people can have a chance to get the warning and go collect their stuff. Even more so if it's far out, without the use of vault or anything when not in town it could take many trips to get everything back to town/safety.

Again though I'd very much love for more resets. I'm new and I don't really know what the default timeline is, I think I saw somewhere that it is every major update? At the same time you don't want the gap to be to small, because it would effect prices greatly if there was a fresh gather of ore every few weeks. I would say the first of every other month would be ideal. That way it's a set date, people will become used to it and expect it long in advanced. Random dates or after certain patches just makes it confusing, and it's something you would have to constantly keep in mind and up to date on. A set interval would make much more sense on a long term basis.

Anyway, glad to see this is happening as stated above. :)
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  14. I know the rail you are talking about, as you purchased a minecarft to use it. :)

I also have rails around the place that i haven't bothered uprooting. I would if I had time to spend on that right now. Which I don't really. Perhaps i should tell someone else too.

Yea, I am seeing the definite advantage of a fixed time for waste reset. Although there most likely would not be much advanced warning of a reset for minecraft updates. Lets face it, many minecraft players are people of habit, order, logic, comfy patterns, OCD. Making resets a fixed time each month/2months will satisfy peoples need for order and known changes.
  15. what time will this be done in the uk, ??
  16. 5/6 hours later then the us
  17. It'll likely be in 3-6 hours.

and there has been an in game warning since yesterday too.
  18. i know but is hasn't said when its doing it. so it could be at 10pm to 1am for me
  19. We will reset 1 hour from now!
    EffinBatman, jrm531 and samsimx like this.
  20. I am very excited for this.

Cannot wait!