Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by journeynaut, May 7, 2012.

?

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes in real life. 1 vote(s) 1.6%
Yes in real life and minecraft. 4 vote(s) 6.5%
No I pay people to murder animals so I can eat their rotting corpses. 18 vote(s) 29.0%
Yes, but only in Minecraft. 2 vote(s) 3.2%
No, I enjoy fresh meat but not the rotten stuff. 34 vote(s) 54.8%
Only spider eyes! 3 vote(s) 4.8%
  1. Everything that eats or is eaten is alive, or was alive anyway, in some sense of the word. I don't understand why people want to draw lines to say, oh, this plant is less alive than this cow, so let's eat it instead. The whole "vegetarian as a morality statement" thing is just nonsensical to me. If one is a vegetarian for health reasons, then that's something else entirely.

[Edited in] My sister-in-law is a vegetarian-for-moral-reasons, and I always give her a hard time about it, but I also make sure to cook things she will like to eat whenever she visits.

Me, I never met a critter I didn't like to eat, excepting shark and squid and octopi-- too rubbery :D

Mmmmmmm.... kefir :D
  2. I eat meat both on Minecraft & in the real world. I certainly don't "pay people to murder animals so I can eat their rotting corpses." I do hunt, I do fish. I will never pay someone to do that for me. I eat what I take and I don't waste. Hunting and fishing have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I also have raised animals from chickens to cows & pigs that we used for resources (eggs, milk, etc...) and also ate them.
    I certainly don't have an issue with someone being vegetarian as a few of my good friends are vegetarians and vegans. I won't push my beliefs on anyone and hopefully nobody will push theirs on me. To each his own or something like that :D
  3. I do not think it is "nonsensical" to say that a plant is less alive than a cow. A plant cannot think or feel, a cow can. Also think that it is very nice that you cook your sister vegetarian friendly food, most people won't do that.
  4. I believe the reason animals were put on Earth were to help humanity in more ways than one. Food, labor, enjoyment(pets), etc. If you think about it there wouldn't be much else that a lot of animals are useful for if we didn't use them as food(deer for example). As an avid hunter/fisherman I've never considered it "murder" when harvesting an animal/fish. I see it as providing food for the rest of my family and others. Like HillbillyBeastly, I don't waste one scrap of meat that I get from an animal that I harvest. Also, there is nothing wrong about being a vegetarian. I respect others views on what is and isn't food as long as they respect mine. What I can't stand is when someone comes outright and says "what you are doing is wrong" and has nothing to back it up with, not that any of you have done that though ;). I personally don't know any vegetarians believe it or not :eek:, but I wouldn't ever question their personal beliefs nor do I question any of you on here who are vegans. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents :D
  5. I don't think that animals have to have a use such as food or labor. Also slightly unrelated to your post, I find it odd that humans assume that they have a right to use animals as food and, what is essentially, slave labor. Just putting in my two cents.
  6. And other animals are allowed to kill them? Animals provide essential protein for the human diet and the most readily available source of that protein is animals. Animals do not think about if they are going to die. Humans do. Humans think, them being the superior creature of the Earth. We have a right to everything on it and should not be told to eat this, and not that, because it deserves to live because it "kinda thinks in a way" Animals do not use tools (except the apes) they do not build buildings, they do not drive cars, they do not self evolve. Humans are the dominant species, we are the ONLY species with a conscious, at least one good enough to question ourselves, and so we deserve to eat things that HELP US SURVIVE.
    HillbillyBeastly likes this.
  7. Animals do have the same sense of self-preservation that humans do. Animals protect their young and themselves. Also, correct me if I'm wrong(and I know you will), but it seems to to me as if you are saying humans are the dominant species because we say we are, which is false logic. Many different types of primates and sea creatures have been observed using tools and beavers(and other animals I'm sure) build shelters. To go back to what I said earlier humans have progressed to a point where we don't need meat to survive.

Edited in: Please refrain from using caps in the future there is no need to yell and yelling usually means the person has lost their argument or is unsure of it.
  8. I'm from the south, killing an animal is a major win around here.

Also, plants are living things too. Vegetarians are murderers too :O
  9. A plant consumes resources and releases waste, and will die if poisoned or not fed, and goes through a growth life cycle.

Just cause its not sentient doesn't mean its not alive.
    "Plants are living organisms belonging to the kingdom Plantae."
    AssignedInsanity and battmeghs like this.
  10. I used to be a vegetarian.. But my mother ate all of my food, so I was stuck eating other random things.. My vegetarian diet did not last long.. About 5 months. I now greatly enjoy bacon, fish, chicken omelets, and steak.
    Brennian and HillbillyBeastly like this.
  11. AssignedInsanity and battmeghs like this.
  12. Is a rotten-flesharian an option?
  13. No one with a conscience would work an animal hard enough for it to be considered slave labor. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but when it does it is very unfortunate for the animal/s involved and is sad that the person causing that animal pain can't truly see what he/she is doing. I, for one, have never treated an animal as if it were below me as a human being. As for humans having the "right" to eat animals, have animals not used humans as food before? What gives them that "right"? It's the circle of life *cue Lion King music*. That's how it has always been and that's how it's probably always going to be.
    HillbillyBeastly likes this.
  14. We Do have the right. Now, if squirels had plasma guns, i think we'd be their labor
  15. I know plants are alive. However, plants are not alive in the way animals are. Animals can think and feel while plants cannot. Also I am from the south too(Oh, how I hate it).
    diamond_viper111 likes this.
  16. Wait how do you know they can't think or feel? Maybe they do it in way unknown to us. This is why I dislike vegetarians. They think they know everything.
  17. Im not a vegitarian. I looooove meat, especially pigs IRL
  18. I do eat meat in real life as well as MC life. Though as a child around 2-9 years of age, I hated eating meat. I didn't know at the time how a cow got onto our family table, but the reason for disliking meat so bad at that time was that I didn't like the taste of it [Even when I was a child I had picky taste for good food, instead of getting a hotdog off the kids menu I picked Calimari instead. :D]
    So now that I'm older I do enjoy meat but as of this year it doesn't taste as yummy, so I'm probably going to be a Week-Day Vegetarian, which means I only eat vegetables and fruits from mon-fri and eat meat on saturday and sunday. ^^
    Brennian likes this.