Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by journeynaut, May 7, 2012.

?

Are you a vegetarian?

Yes in real life. 1 vote(s) 1.6%
Yes in real life and minecraft. 4 vote(s) 6.5%
No I pay people to murder animals so I can eat their rotting corpses. 18 vote(s) 29.0%
Yes, but only in Minecraft. 2 vote(s) 3.2%
No, I enjoy fresh meat but not the rotten stuff. 34 vote(s) 54.8%
Only spider eyes! 3 vote(s) 4.8%
  1. Seriously? What do you do then when a fly is buzzing up all in your face and you just can't get rid of it? Whack it with a newspaper, or spray it with some fly spray. They're nuisances.

Or when a mosquito bites you to feed off you? Wouldn't that make mosquitos like.. carnivores as well? In some messed up way.
    Dwight5273 and battmeghs like this.
  2. Also to add to this, some mammals such as rabbits have a mechanism in their brain that releases a hallucinogenic (for lack of a better word) compound that puts them into a euphoric state when they know they are going to die (like in the claws of a hawk, and whatnot). Even the rabbits know they are food to so many animals. They accept it, but have developed some little biological tricks to help them through it. :)
    AssignedInsanity likes this.
  3. You were only without thought or feeling temporarily. Your using false logic. But that does bring up something I was thinking about, if people say eating animals is okay then why is it wrong for humans(animals) to eat other humans(animals). If eating animals is okay then what stops us from crossing that line and why would we have that line in the first place.
  4. Eating human flesh in abundance will cause disease. I can't remember the name of it, but it's not right to eat human flesh as a human. Much like mixing in left over cow parts in cow feed caused Mad Cow Disease.

Edit: Also, there are certain tribes that practice(d) cannibalism as a ritual.
  5. But I bet you have no problem with chowing down on all those meal worms and other insects that get ground up with the wheat and other grains that make your bread-- not to mention all the pesticides that are sprayed on the fields where your vegetables, grains, and fruits are grown. As I noted earlier, insects are most definitely part of the animal kingdom. Also, I bet if you ever get an intestinal parasite (or a skin one for that matter) you'll gladly just share your body with the poor little beasties.

Also, animal derived fertilizers aren't just made from animal manure. A lot of plants require quite a bit of calcium (tomatoes are a great example). Many farms use bone meal, fish meal, blood meal and other dead animal stuff as fertilizers.
    hayleycolgan and Barkley1987 like this.
  6. We should be merciful to animals because we have the capacity to be. Also animals form symbiotic relationships all the time.
  7. Same reason bears don't eat each other.
    It's counterproductive, it makes everyone hate you, and honestly, it would be pretty weird to eat something so similar to you, not to mention the potential detriment.

In your words, you're using false logic.
  8. I guess what I said might have been a little confusing. I was trying to say that high school biology was the class I used to learn this stuff, not the class you used.
  9. Keep in mind that their meat is 100% fresh, not processed raised in a slaughter house somewhere where they are fed corn, which for cows, increases the amount of E coli in their body.

For that reason I'd prefer to eat grass-fed beef, but processed stuff is cheaper. And I have no control over the family budget.
    Barkley1987 likes this.
  10. Other animals eat members of their on species all the time: chimps, catfish, Etc.
  11. Exactly. It's in our DNA to reproduce, as it is with every single animal and plant on the planet. Attacking your own species is counter productive to the longevity of our species.

But, as I mentioned before, there are some extreme (and odd) cases of exceptions.
  12. If there were a need for humans to each other, it probably would happen. But there isn't that need because we have other means to sustain ourselves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think many species eat their own? Most would go for something further down the food chain.
  13. I like getting organic now and when I get my own house I would love to grow my own food.
  14. *Some* types of chimps will attack other groups of chimps and cannibalize, but that's not the case with every species of chimps. The reason they cannibalize is still not fully understood.
  15. Growing your own food is a great thing to do. I grow my own vegetables outdoors in the summer (organically) and I also have a little grow station set up indoors to grow some food in the cold Canadian winters. It is extremely rewarding and you know exactly where your food came from. :) I encourage everyone to do this. It can be done in small spaces if you do it right. There is a tonne of information out there about growing your own food. No excuse for anyone not to.
    AssignedInsanity and battmeghs like this.
  16. But if you had snails or other insects in your vege garden would you just leave them there to feast away at your food?
  17. There are non-lethal ways to deter snails, slugs and many other pests. :)

Edit:: Non lethal AND organic to boot. :)
  18. Lets see here... what do two rivaling schools of catfish use to battle...
    Their claws? No.
    Their stingers? No.
    Their feet? No.
    What? They bite their enemies? Why would they ever do that to something that was antagonizing them?

Oh, and considering the ritualistic nature of cannibalism and the near-sentience of Chimpanzees, I think it would make sense if they did things similar to what the less "grounded" human cultures did. And even then, it's not their primary food source; it's an occasional thing to settle a fight or someodd... if it even happens at all.
    Barkley1987 likes this.
  19. Organic foods are precisely the ones that the bone meal, blood meal, and fish emulsions are used on. I grow a predominantly organic garden myself and use those fertilizers (along with compost) to get really good foods. I can't imagine you being very successful at the organic gardening, though, because all of those hornworms will eat your tomatoes and really the only way to get rid of them (organically) is to pull them off the plants and squish them. There are other pests that are difficult to rid from your garden, too. I often trap the smaller rodents and feed them to our Ball Python, but that's just murder by proxy.
  20. Yep, the most organic way to get rid of pests is by hand. I had to do this with sawfly larva that were attacking my currant bush. It was a daily chore but I won the battle. :) I refuse to use insecticides.