[TRICK] Make Rupees Fast Via EMC Market!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by CraftyCosmic, Dec 12, 2015.

1. While it's a simple idea, a lot of people frown upon the buying and reselling of items. I know other have said this, but it's an easy way to get yourself banned from shops. Another easy way to earn money is to just vote.
  2. It really doesn't matter in the end because as soon as shop owners see this their prices will be adjusted accordingly.
  3. So much this...
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  4. It's not that all of the time. For me, if it ever happens, I feel used. No appreciation for hard work, just selfish greed. Of course, it depends on the circumstances. I usually sell things cheaply for convenience (books, for /mail). I understand where the temptation comes from. Low prices, easy profit.
  5. How about the fact this is a community based server? Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people only seek ways to get as much money as possible as quickly as possible. You aren't going to make many friends on this server being like that. I understand making money and wanting to earn so you can save up and buy things or whatever, but it is frowned upon because you're essentially taking advantage of the market. Like people have said, it isn't against the rules so "technically" you aren't doing anything wrong, but it's still not something you should be proud of and most shops are going to res ban you.
  6. How bout it being a play your way server lollolol
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  7. I appreciate your well thought out and mature response to my opinion, but that's what it is, an opinion. I never said "Everyone has to play the way I say."
    607, PenguinDJ and whatkom like this.
  8. Actually I disagree. I guarantee that if I was to do this method I would not get res banned. It is the shop owners decision whether or not they buy from players and if someone does this method to them then that's their fault for not researching the market. Also, your comment on making friends is also invalid. I personally do this method with other things with players and I make great friends with them because they choose to sell to me and I give them the right price.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  9. I've made a few 100 doing this. It's called flipping.
  10. *putting move flag off mall/shops i control* (jk)

Its a bad habit to do that. This makes only majoritary/big shops famous because others just buy and resell to earn money. While me, someone who wants to sell so other people built their structures. Always gets out of stock because i want the average player to have deals for your build(is night and on iphone. Probs dodn make sense, sorry bout that)
    Kytula likes this.
  11. I remember several very interesting threads about this in the past. Too lazy to find them now, I'll try to summarize from memory.

People build shops for various reasons, not just to trade (!)
    It may sound strange at first, but it is true. Many people, especially new members, build shops and sell stuff for cheap in order to attract visitors, to meet people, to get to know somebody.
    Some people just want to "play shop".

Some people make (cheap) shops because they want to help new and/or poor players.
    (But why don't they make a shop where they would pay a good price for products produced by those players? Do they want them to sell them stuff for cheap?)

Anyway, buying such shops out is, IMO, not a nice thing to do.

It is good practice to place signs and explicitly state what kind of shop it is, especially if it lookes like a "mall", but shouldn't be treated as trading place.

If I see "mall" and there are no signs telling "no reselling", "no bulk trade" or similar, than it really should be safe to assume that it is a place for trading.

People make mistakes - and also "mistakes"
    That may be a typo or they just got the price wrong, or they were clueless / lazy / ignorant / didn't care.
    This can end both in an disadvantage for the shop owner as well as for the shop user.

A good rule of thumb is - if the price is lower than the half or if it is higher than the double of average price, then one should first check with the shop owner if it is intentional, if it is ok to buy / sell.
    If a customer wants to return goods that were recently bought, it would be, IMO, rude from any shop owner to refuse that.

Inflation
    Except for minor short term deflation periods, there is significant overall inflation on EMC.
    High inflation is a big enemy of every shop owner.
    This makes shop keeping tedious, but everyone that wants to trade simply has to check and adjust the prices on regular basis. If a shop owner fails to do this - she / he will end up sitting on a pile of rupees that are worth less and less every day.

IMO, high inflation is the primary cause for "no reselling", "no bulk" and similar signs. People are not able to follow and update prices in time. It is too volatile, too much work, it is too tedious.

"Real shops" that are ment for trading
    There are many shops / malls that are really ment for trading. Those shops welcome bulk business and reselling.

If one of those shops sells some item for a lower price, it means that there is good supply and / or low demand at the moment. If another "real shop" buys the item at a higer price, that means that there is high demand and/or low supply at the moment.

If you can transport goods from a place with high supply to a place with high demand, please do so and keep the difference in price as fee for your service. Both shop owners and all shop users will thank you: the users of the shop with high supply will be able to (continue to) sell, the users of the shop with high demand will be able to (continue to) buy.

Stuff exchange shops
    My shop 12221 on smp6 is ment to be a "real shop" and a service for the community by keeping good buy prices and low margin. This way, players can sell goods they produce and then buy items they need - in a convenient and cheap way. Specializing in production of few items is much more efficient than having to produce (almost) everything.
    bitemenow15, Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  12. Buy low, sell high. Nothing moral about that. Pure capitalism :D

Also, I used to be a good costumer at a shop on me server. Then this person started to mail me and accuse me of reselling, which I didn't. At one point it got a bit annoying and stopped buying there. So a good costumer was lost.... :eek:
    Gawadrolt and BitcoinDigger like this.
  13. I always do my best to respect signs that say "No bulk buying". Sometimes its hard, I don't resell what I buy...its for builds and when I find a supplier and 95% of the other stores are sold out...you feel trapped into buying from a small few. (95% may be too generous a number even).

I think along with m4ster_m1ner's comments ( and whose store I frequent :) ) that inflation is a big problem, I personally find a lot of the prices are way too low for the effort the average person has to put into it. Which leads to so many shops getting bought out. I rarely see opportunities that could be used for this since there is no stock at most of the cheaper locations, as a few have already taken advantage of this. It may just be my poor luck, or probably because I'm more interested in playing minecraft than looking for these "deals".

I appreciate people wanting to make things cheap and easy for the new player...but this also hurts the new player as those basic things equate to a lower value when they want to make some rupees themselves to start into the economy.

Anyway, there is no easy answers, but I don't think your wrong if you buy low, sell high...thats basic economics...shops just need to increase margins so that re-sale is less lucrative to those searching for it, and instead selling becomes what they intended...a way to support players who need rupees while keeping their stock levels up for their customers.
    M4ster_M1ner and 607 like this.
  14. Jane sold 10,000 widgets for 1 tulip each to a single customer - Jane made 10,000 tulips income for her sale.

Jim sold 1 widget to 10,000 different customers for 1 tulip each - Jim also made 10,000 tulips income for his sale.

Jane and Jim are both out of widgets, and now have 10,000 tulips....

Why are we even having this conversation? :confused:

"Dear Optimist and Pessimist, while you were arguing over if the glass was half-full or half-empty, I drank the water. Signed: The Opportunist."
  15. Because it's hard or impossible to keep in stock if people keep buying more than they need. And not being in stock lowers your reputation.

So now I know why one person suddenly needs a DC of sugar cane, wheat and seeds... if the inflations thing is happening on such things too. After all, I haven't upped my prices since 2013.
    tuqueque likes this.
  16. I'm not sure I understand (?)

You mean people are buying stuff instead of holding rupees in oder to preserve the value?
    Well, that's a very reasonable thing to do, isn't it?

"More than they need" sounds like they shouldn't really do that.
    Why shouldn't they?
  17. Because I sell supplies to help people get a farm started or get food or make supplies, not to get rich or store double chests full of stuff they won't use. If I'd want that, I'd hold an auction or use automation.
  18. This is a perfect example of a very specialized "shop" of the type "help new players" - it is actually there to give out seeds / plants to new players so they can start farming. It's a valuable and friendly project.

Just I wouldn't call it a "shop" - I'd call it "seed bank" or "new players seed bank" or ...

(Where I live, IRL, it is called "Arche Noah", they give out seeds for free.)

BTW, potatoes are out of stock :)
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  19. as a rule if the person is honest about it i dont mind reselling, but i do have a notification if you go to my shop that exploiting a shop glitch will get you banned from all my residences. only had one person banned ever and they stopped playing.

sometimes if the economy goes berserk ill just turn move off on my res until prices settle. i do that from minechat while at work lol
    607 and Mob_Meal like this.

20. What is this? How do I get it? And is it PC only, or can I use it from a mobile device?!?

EDIT: found it and already loaded it on my phone while at work :D
    607 likes this.